Author Topic: Heater for 3 man pop up?  (Read 4118 times)

Offline smatt

• IceShanty Rookie
Heater for 3 man pop up?
« on: Dec 20, 2009, 08:47 PM »
well, I've been reading through old posts for an hour or so, I'll just throw my question out for opinions...

I would like to get the Cabela's quiet blind heater/cooker...
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat280026&rid=&indexId=cat280026&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=13&parentType=index&parentId=cat280026&id=0020990

but with young kids (ages 6 and 2) coming with occasionally and having a shack made of tent material I'm nervous about using that type of heater.

Are the Buddy line of heaters safer for a pop up shack with kids?  or will the blind heater be just as safe?
Would the regular buddy put out enough heat, for a quickfish3 or should i haul the extra weight and propane for the big buddy?
I'll probably get one of the clam fan/light combos for the ceiling so the fan wouldn't matter.
It also seems from the old posts that there are more problems with the big buddy...

I need to get one soon before it gets too cold.
Thanks,
Matt

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Heater for 3 man pop up?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2009, 09:37 PM »
 go witht he buddy heaters..........for one, they are for the most part a zero clearance heater ( except for the top and the front), they are equipped with a low oxygen shut down, and generally throw out as much heat as one of the sunflower heaters that you are thinking of using.    the sunflowers may be cheaper on the pocket book at first, but the first time ya burn your canvas, or one of your kids get burnt, then ya gonna wish ya had bought something else.........just my two cents, (and a lot of learned lessons)
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline dirtbroke

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the ice
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2009, 10:50 PM »
Ditto on the reply buddy or mr heater great heat for any ice tent.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2009, 02:59 AM »
Get the big buddy.

heater/cooker is most dangerous one, but useful.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline smatt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2009, 10:51 AM »
So is the big buddy worth the extra money, weight and propane usage or is it over kill for that size tent?

Offline Swish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Fisherman
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2009, 02:09 PM »
I just used my Little Buddy today in my Otter Lodge 3 man.  It wasn't windy and about 20 degrees.  It did good and I was down to my T shirt.

Otter Lodge owner.

Offline Exile

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cooking a Litlle Venie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2009, 03:23 PM »
Go with the big buddy! you use one burner for cold days and two burners for the real fricking cold days.  I have the Voyager and the one burner just wasnt big enough.
Only in the U.P.  (You can take man out of the U.P. but can't take the U.P. out of the Man)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2009, 08:21 PM »
I use a mr. heater , but if I had small ones I would go with the big buddy, much safer ,

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2009, 09:51 PM »
I use a buddy heater hooked to a 20 lb tank plenty of heat.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Hey Guys... Question?

I'm leaning for the Mr Heater also ( with all that I have read  and including all your input ) .. But with  the two smaller versions that they have out . Do you think in  your  experience that they would work ok in a three man tent as well as it older bigger brother?
I'm working on making a frame for my Otter 2 ( mini ) sled ( to haul all my stuff )  and I would like to keep the room thing down and compact.

Just wondering if I am exchanging comfort for packing space.. LOL

Thanks.. and Cheers... Fish well , enjoy and Have a great new Year..

Regards.... AltaIce
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline holedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have auger will travel
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:33 AM »
this is just my opinion but I do not know why everyone insists the buddy heater are the best. To me they are junk!!!!! the p[ilot blows out, they cannot be tilted to point heat where it may be needed and the heat out put stinks go on ebay and find a coleman focus 5 they throw way more heat than any buddy i have seen and they are only 4000 btu.  just my opinion but i would not buy a buddy with your money

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:36 AM »
I have used Mr Heater for years and it works GREAT. I have the big one since I use it for more than just fishing. Inside a shanty it does not take much to keep the chill off. The cost difference and the extra weight are insignificant so I would go with the bigger one as that way you have the capacity no matter how cold it gets. Just be sure to keep the heating element dry, a cover is a good investment when you buy one. Good luck and stay warm...    :icefish:

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2009, 01:55 PM »
Yes, "holedriller" .     I do know  that Coleman has a heater called Black Cat.. but have not heard a lot about them. kinda like the idea of pointing the heat but not to sure if needed in a closed area..
Also heard good stuff about the  mr.  Heater used by you " alaskaruss1"

In honesty , I do Not have any Idea much heat I may need. and if just being out of the wind is enough. ( and dressed warm enough ) this is the first year I will be using a 3-man Ice tent.

Cheers.

Offline dirtbroke

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the ice
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:13 PM »
I would agree love my buddy had a focus five before it blew out of the truck somewhere, that little coleman kicks butt for what it is its a lot lighter to. when my buddy quits im finding another coleman 5.

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2009, 06:07 AM »
I have the 2 man icecube and a coleman heater- not the blackcat, but one of the early models that's actually bigger.  It connects to a propane bottle and points the head up at about a 45 degree angle.  9 days out of 10, it's plenty- about 4000 btus, I think.  But on the 10th day, it's not enough.  It also takes up more floor space and is more prone to accidents such as bumping against it, burning holes in pants, burning of lines, etc.  I just got a buddy for my 6 x 6 shappell, and it's perfect.
There's no chin under Chuck Norris's beard- only another fist.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:41 AM »
Hi  ctibbetts.
Do you have  your new Buddy hooked up to the 20 lb tank or just using it with the 1 lb'rs. On the days it was Perfect , was there much of a wind? How was the outside temp?.

Just wondering ... thanks..

I have access to the coleman Black Cat , and it is a little smaller than the Mr. heater and or buddy.  But still not sure which way to go. The size of the mr.  Heater's is a concern with my small sled space.... I'm leaning towards the MH9BX Portable Buddy. It is  a hair  square and little bulky and can still put out 4,000 to 9,000 BTU'S.. and that should be enough...No??

Offline frostyone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:02 AM »
I have both the buddy and the big buddy.  If your going to buy one I would definitely get the big buddy.  The size is a bit bigger and the weight of course is a little heavier, however it is basically the same unit with the added 18,000 btu for the cold days or a quick warm up.  I usually start out on high, then medium and on the nice days it goes to low, but I love the advantage of leaving it on high if it is really cold or windy. 

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:20 AM »
Hi  ctibbetts.
Do you have  your new Buddy hooked up to the 20 lb tank or just using it with the 1 lb'rs. On the days it was Perfect , was there much of a wind? How was the outside temp?.

I have access to the coleman Black Cat , and it is a little smaller than the Mr. heater and or buddy.  But still not sure which way to go. The size of the mr.  Heater's is a concern with my small sled space.... I'm leaning towards the MH9BX Portable Buddy. It is  a hair  square and little bulky and can still put out 4,000 to 9,000 BTU'S.. and that should be enough...No??

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:22 AM »
Hi  ctibbetts.

I'm still fairly early in the testing as I haven't had either for long.  From my experience, I wouldn't bother with the portable buddy- not because it's not good, but because it only has one setting.  The days that my coleman hasn't been hot enough has been just because of the wind.  The high setting on the buddy warms up enough to counteract the wind I've dealt with.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2009, 04:51 PM »
Go Big Buddy!
i have a one man flip and i run the little budy, it does a great job.

Offline ctibbetts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2009, 04:59 PM »
TO the op- I used my buddy in the shappell 6000 today under what I'd call cold conditions- about 10 degrees, very heavy wind gusts.  On high, I was still able to melt a nice puddle in the shack.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.