Author Topic: What's worth it. New vexilar or the helix 5 or 7  (Read 2902 times)

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
What's worth it. New vexilar or the helix 5 or 7
« on: Feb 18, 2019, 06:36 PM »
Looking to get a new finder/flasher for the ice n possibly the boat.   Can't decide and been having trouble with the decision.   Anyone here have any advice from either side or that has made the switch from one to the other.   

Looking for advantages and disadvantages is any

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What's worth it. New vexilar or the helix 5 or 7
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2019, 06:59 PM »
I started a thread a few days ago called sonar vs flasher theres my input for what its worth and a few responses i believe a guy had a helix 7. Check it out
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:46 PM »
Awesome thanks hookit

Offline crill1977

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:27 PM »
I like my Garmin Ice Fish 5...like going to traditional flasher mode or sonar mode.. Also can mark spots with the unit...only downfall I can't download maps like some other units.... Well worth the $400 I spent...next up ION Auger...

Offline crappiekilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:42 PM »
Got a fl20.and helix ice 5.  I like the sonar view, but I've noticed I get some interference around others and dont have the adjustability around it like I do the vex.  I do like the fact that I can throw the unit right on the boat in the spring
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:43 PM »
Get the Helix 7, put two of them on the boat this past year and love them.  Got the ice transducer and bracket but still need to make the mount for the ice so I have not used it there.  Soft water........BEST bang for the buck in my opinion.
If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:00 PM »
Only difference is screen size FYI
I have a 5
The guys I know with a seven on the ice have to have a back up battery FYI the one guy end up getting a second back up when we put for more than eight hours

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:25 AM »
I have a Helix 7 on my boat and a fl12 pro vexlar for ice. I thought about bringing the helix to the ice this year but havent. Love my flasher however it would be great using my helix with lake card to get to some really nice looking areas on most lakes. the real question is....How much do you want to drag around on the lake with you?

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2019, 05:17 AM »
I fished with a humminbird 385 ci for years and still use if as my backup.  It is the pre-cursar to the helix series.  I have caught lots of fish with that unit.  In my opinion the helix would do both soft and hard water very well for you.  They are very versatile units
The 2 reasons i bought a vex was i could see a fish right on the bottom better, and the interference rejection was better when fishing in large crowds.
My buddy has a helix 7 and we fished a lake with a very dirty water column sitting side by side last year and he was able to see better then me with a flx-28. For some reason that night i struggled with that lake.
If you want both hard and soft water capabilities i would go with a helix.

Offline Hookedup535

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2019, 11:13 AM »
I have helix 7 and a vexilar 12. The helix does get some interference with vexilars but not other cherp sonar units. But it also has 7 different settings to help with interference. I used the helix with a cheap $20 battery it did last all day with the screen brightness turned down but it did not like it. I did purchase a Dakota lithium battery $115 but it has never said anything less that 100% after 5 hrs on the ice with the brightness turned up. The helix 7 does have a glass screen the 5 is plastic. It will fit in a 5 gallon bucket on a vexilar case with a ram mount attached to it. The helix models have loads of features I am still playing with mine after a year on open water and ice.

Offline coopason

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oops missed another 1,no wait ahh FEEL it
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2019, 09:25 AM »
Bought the helix 7 all season for ice fishing and replacement on the front of my boat this spring.

The helix 7 is by far better than my fl-18 i have used for a long time.'
Great separation on the bottom and 7 IR settings for interference. Fished it next to an fl-8 Tuesday and Wednesday in 30 ft of water on Erie and no problem. Buddy quit watching his vex and eyeballed my helix as it showed his spoon and j  rap when his vex wouldn't..

Great unit and picked it up in Dec for 609 $ . don't know if you can find it that cheap.

Definitely worth it.

coop 

Coopason

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Got a Helix ice 5 start of the season! Have had a fl-18 for several years? Love my 18 still getting used to the helix.
Main reason I got the Helix is because I am planning to use it for both hard and soft water on my small boat. Decide what you need for your total fishing plans and go from there.
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.