The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Higgins lake  (Read 6266 times)

Offline tjhalbisen

• IceShanty Rookie
Higgins lake
« on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:20 PM »
Heading to higgins lake to fish for lakers, and perch. Anyone want to share fishing tactics that work for that particular lake? Any help is appreciated

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Higgins lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:56 PM »
Bring a under water camera. You can pull it away from the dinks while waiting for bigger small perch to move in. Find weed beds. Green weed can be found in 60 fow.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2016, 06:08 AM »
green weed is better than brown weed from what ive heard!!
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline GourdneckGills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2016, 09:34 AM »
Is the ice on higgins still good for snowmobiles? It's getting pretty bad down state and I will be heading up this weekend
Life is hard, its harder if youre stupid

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2016, 01:02 PM »
Bring a under water camera. You can pull it away from the dinks while waiting for bigger small perch to move in. Find weed beds. Green weed can be found in 60 fow.
            bigger small perch???? :-\  Not sure if I want to wait for them.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2016, 02:20 PM »
Is the ice on higgins still good for snowmobiles? It's getting pretty bad down state and I will be heading up this weekend
Shore ice is still good and UTV are out today

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2016, 09:05 PM »
            bigger small perch???? :-\  Not sure if I want to wait for them.

All depends on what your idea of a keeper perch is. There are hundreds of people out there for some reason.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2016, 07:52 AM »
All depends on what your idea of a keeper perch is. There are hundreds of people out there for some reason.

Well if you rip them out of 50+ FOW, most of them are going to be keepers.  I love my black betty 6061 for speed fishing but in deep water they can really take them up fast along with their air bladders.  Now, if I know I have a dink I finesse it up. 

Sure some of the fish swim away but a lot of them end up dead floating up below the ice if you try to release them with their bladders out.  I ideally love 8"+ fish but if I happen to have a few 5-7" in the mix so be it, I can still clean them and eat them.

Offline tjhalbisen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2016, 05:06 PM »
What's the best way to catch perch on higgins?

Offline tjhalbisen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2016, 04:09 PM »
Come on guys someone share a tip on how to catch lakers and perch on Higgins.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2016, 05:28 PM »
Sand Kickers for  Trout

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2016, 06:21 PM »
You might look thru the other northern state posts for lures and ideas as well. Some pretty neat stuff comes out of Ny, also Canada. Personally I've never ice fished Higgins.
  Rp

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2016, 06:37 PM »
You might look thru the other northern state posts for lures and ideas as well. Some pretty neat stuff comes out of Ny, also Canada. Personally I've never ice fished Higgins.
  Rp
You had ought to try it. Super clear water and you can see bottom in 20 foot of water. When the smelt fishing was on you could sight fish them all day long

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2016, 06:44 PM »
For perch:  Halis tipped with minnows, spikes, waxies, wigglers, minnows heads, eyes, plastics.....you get the point, need to change it up.  One thing I can say that wigglers and minnows tend to be consistent up there.
Also try small jigging raps tipped with spikes.  Also small Swedish pimples.  Occasional bump the bottom to stir up the sand.  You can use teardrops or jigs, but I would suggest a tungsten in probably 5mm as it can take some time to drop to the deeper depths.
Another option is to use a traditional perch rig but make sure you have a wide enough hole to accommodate your rig so you are not hanging up on the ice when bringing fish up.  A lot of times I will just tie a small dropper loop above my hali with a lighter teardrop or plain hook.  In this case you want to avoid tungsten as the heavier jig on the dropper can tangle your main line or take away the action of the hali.
If you don't catch fish within an hour, move to find active schools.  Higgins is a big lake so there is plenty of water to try.  Sometimes the crowds are on the fish, othertimes they are not.  Sometimes moving 20 yards can make a difference.  This is about as much basic info I can give you.  Good luck.

Offline tjhalbisen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2016, 07:47 PM »
 If you are on foot you can go just past the dropoff out from the north state park for perch and maybe catch a smelt. I have caught a couple of trout there also. Make sure you have a state park pass as they are writing tickets this year

Offline tjhalbisen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2016, 08:35 PM »
I will be on my snowmobile so I am mobile. Also staying at place right on the lake so I should be good. Any other places worth checking out?

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2016, 09:06 AM »
I'll put it on my list Scout. Problem is there are so many lakes and never enough time.
Rp

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2016, 06:25 PM »
green weed is better than brown weed from what ive heard!!
Passed everyone on the last lap!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2016, 10:36 AM »
Watching Higgins Lake on michigan outdoors right now. It can be watched off their website as well.

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish whispering since 1962
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2016, 08:22 PM »
I will be on my snowmobile so I am mobile. Also staying at place right on the lake so I should be good. Any other places worth checking out?
I like the hole at flag point. Never a crowd and the perch usually show up/ also straight out from Hoffman on the east side.
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline Mike Wagner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2016, 11:35 AM »
Be careful around Detroit Point, from other reports, 2 snowmobiles through Fri and a side by side yesterday. I was up yesterday off the Big Creek, took a while to find the perch, when I did alot of sorting but did OK over all.

Offline SgtLange

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2016, 08:01 AM »
If anyone is in the area this weekend / next week i'm looking for a safe ice report for Higgins/Houghton. I've got a trip a week from tomorrow but it's supposed to be warm 4 days prior. Hoping we can find some safe ice. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Offline IFallThroughForFun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2016, 11:39 AM »
I'm headed to higgins and st helen this weekend, i will let you know.

Offline tjhalbisen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2016, 07:00 PM »
Yeah post a report of higgins if you get out. Thanks.

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Fished Higgins today 10-12 inches of ice 4 inches of snow off of west dr launch

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:20 PM »
Anyone been out there today, 3/7?  Heard things were good ice wise Sat and Sunday with a little melting sunday afternoon.  Looking at possibly going tomorrow or maybe Friday after the rain.  Had to cancel my trip up due to getting sick on Friday.  Any information would be appreciated.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2016, 01:42 PM »
 I stopped by the north tae park a short while ago and one guy coming off said there was 8  inches of ice with about 2 inches of water on top

Offline IFallThroughForFun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2016, 11:29 AM »
I was out there Saturday all day and the ice was about 1ft thick off flag point, shore was beginning to recede about 1.5 ft. fished in 35-65ft of water, but had the most action in the 40 foot range and by action I mean I seen the most fish on my bird radar. no bites, super slow threw every bait and lure I had at them. That made me go to St Helen on Sunday and we caught some eyes, rockbass and panfish around the hole of the 3rd lake in 10-15 ft.

Offline bigfishy101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2016, 08:38 AM »
I was out there Saturday all day and the ice was about 1ft thick off flag point, shore was beginning to recede about 1.5 ft. fished in 35-65ft of water, but had the most action in the 40 foot range and by action I mean I seen the most fish on my bird radar. no bites, super slow threw every bait and lure I had at them. That made me go to St Helen on Sunday and we caught some eyes, rockbass and panfish around the hole of the 3rd lake in 10-15 ft.

You go up to St. Helen often? I usually go up there most weekends I can. Occasionally I will fish the hard water of other lakes but not too often. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.