The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This years bait trapping thread  (Read 94606 times)

FRESHBAIT

Re: This years bait trapping thread
« Reply #570 on: Feb 17, 2012, 05:55 PM »
I throw an  old stale hot dog bun/hamburger bun,   then grab a small handfull of dogfood, and small handfull of catfood and throw it all in the trap.   Works for me 

One trap maybe a couple hours of soak time

Offline tip up boss

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #571 on: Feb 17, 2012, 07:37 PM »
im building a shiner trap out of coffee cans i think it will work

Offline ChrisMinMaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #572 on: Feb 17, 2012, 08:30 PM »
This has been an awesome thread for me this year. 

I would like to thank APJ, Duckhunter, Freshbait, etc for your quality posts this season.  I do not know you, nor have ever talked with you, I do sinceely apprciate your help this year.   Based on your posts I went out and trapped my bait, built a bait system, etc, and have not bought a single shiner all seasnon.

So, THANK YOU!!!! to  APJ, MAINEDUCKHUNTER, FRESHBAIT, RUDE THE DUDE, COACH, ETC.  I learned a lot from your posts and pics.

:clap:

Offline tip up boss

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #573 on: Feb 17, 2012, 09:18 PM »
i have finished my coffee can trap i only used suplys i had around the house took me 2 hours mostly because i was looking for items to build it with i took 3 coffee cans and drilled holes in all of them and i wired them all together and i took 2 funnels and wired 1 funnen in and the other end i wired only half then i drilled a small hole took a heavy duty rubber band and a small hook and made a hole so the hook and go in the can holding the funnel shut and i undo the hook the get the shiners out its fun what you can make with just things around the house ;D :tipup:

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #574 on: Feb 17, 2012, 09:45 PM »
Glad to hear you guys are still getting good numbers. I think ill throw my traps in and see what happens

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #575 on: Feb 18, 2012, 07:28 AM »
ChrisMinMAine,   
Your welcome,  Before I started trapping bait I was spending hundreds of dollars if not maybe a Thousand on bait to fish everyseason.  I go through alot of bait.    I started out getting tips from the guys on here and then hit the ground running. 

Offline tip up boss

• Team IceShanty Addict
i set my home made bait trap
« Reply #576 on: Feb 18, 2012, 08:35 PM »
i set my trap shallow i baited it with bread dry dog food im guna check it monday hopefuly

Offline n1BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: i set my home made bait trap
« Reply #577 on: Feb 18, 2012, 10:41 PM »
i made 3 this last weekend and put them in a friends pond last night....got there at first light this morning and had around 8 dozen...made me very happy!!! good luck!!!

Offline maineute

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call it fishing, I call it catching
« Reply #578 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:15 AM »
i made 3 this last weekend and put them in a friends pond last night....got there at first light this morning and had around 8 dozen...made me very happy!!! good luck!!!
Interested to see a picture of the coffee can trap, how you made it and all. 8 dozen sounds pretty good. That is what I was getting from a galvanized trap.

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #579 on: Feb 20, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Interested to see a picture of the coffee can trap, how you made it and all. 8 dozen sounds pretty good. That is what I was getting from a galvanized trap.

yes... id like to see it as well.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #580 on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:15 PM »
This has been an awesome thread for me this year. 

I would like to thank APJ, Duckhunter, Freshbait, etc for your quality posts this season.  I do not know you, nor have ever talked with you, I do sinceely apprciate your help this year.   Based on your posts I went out and trapped my bait, built a bait system, etc, and have not bought a single shiner all seasnon.

So, THANK YOU!!!! to  APJ, MAINEDUCKHUNTER, FRESHBAIT, RUDE THE DUDE, COACH, ETC.  I learned a lot from your posts and pics.

:clap:
You are VERY WELCOME!!  It will save you soooo much money and also, everyone will want to fish with you because you can provide bait, BUT I make buddies bring the Beer!!  ;D :P

Offline n1BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #581 on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:36 PM »
i didnt make mine out of coffee cans...i made mine similar to the galvy traps....just bigger...i can take a pic when i go check them tomorrow....

Offline tip up boss

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #582 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:43 PM »
i set mine on saturday and havent checked it yet

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #583 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:44 PM »
i set mine on saturday and havent checked it yet
WHY ???  I check mine daily!!

Offline tip up boss

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #584 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:50 PM »
i started a new job sunday and i didnt feel like doin anythin today so she still sits at the botom i might go haul her tommorrow i dont have a working camera to take a picture

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #585 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:53 PM »
i started a new job sunday and i didnt feel like doin anythin today so she still sits at the botom i might go haul her tommorrow i dont have a working camera to take a picture
Sorry, I'm on vacation, so I totally forgot what day it was, I thought it was Saturday today, so I thought it was in there a WHOLE week!! :cookoo:  :P  I guess it hasn't been in there that long, Sorry!!  :-\ ;D

Offline tip up boss

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #586 on: Feb 20, 2012, 08:05 PM »
hahaha seems everyone's on vacation but the lakes are iceing out  :%$#!:

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: bait slim.
« Reply #587 on: Mar 02, 2012, 12:48 PM »
I've yet to see ich on bait. usually its columnaris "saddleback" or oodinium "velvit" that is mistaken for "ich". If i find a disease like that i do a water change, put the salt right to em @ about 2ppt, keep my water as cold as possible, spread my bait out, and count my losses. Its just a mater of time when they are going to die after they show symptoms. If you want to be really aggressive, you can treat with acriflavin or copper sulfates, methylene blue, or malachite green, be advised all of those are antimicrobials and will kill filters.
     A lot of diseases like that will die in 24hrs without a host. In that way, a tank should sterilize itself in a day if there is no fish mater in the water and filter. Also bacterium die when dried out, so drain your tanks if your not using them.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Re: bait slim.
« Reply #588 on: Mar 02, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Dylan, what kind of salt do you use? I've been having this problem in my tank.

Offline outdoorsman7617

• Team IceShanty Addict
Bait keeping question
« Reply #589 on: Mar 02, 2012, 02:04 PM »
Hey guys, lately ive been bringing home extra bait and can only fish on the weekends. If I hooked my airator up to a cooler and changed the water often, do you think it would keep bait for a while? Obv I would take any dead ones out each day. any info and tips would be appreciated thanks.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
Re: Bait keeping question
« Reply #590 on: Mar 02, 2012, 02:08 PM »
THERE IS MORE INFO ON KEEPING BAIT HERE THAN YOU CAN READ IN A MONTH, TRY IT!!!!!!!!! ;D
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #591 on: Mar 02, 2012, 02:10 PM »
Yeah I used to keep bait in large coolers all winter. I used an aerator and changed the water every few days.

Offline countyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #592 on: Mar 02, 2012, 02:11 PM »
Change half the water every few days you should be fine.

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #593 on: Mar 02, 2012, 02:13 PM »
 I have had the same shiners (minus the ones I've fed to the fish ;) ) since November. Mine are in a 10 gallon container that I keep half full in a cold, but not freezing place. I change out half the water every 2 weeks. I started with several hundred, I have only had 9 die. I think the trick for me is the cold dark place, it seems to make them very docile. I also don't feed my bait, and even with no food and a very cold environment, my shiners are extremely active when used as bait. I hope this helps. :)
I fish.                                                         

Offline NorthernFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #594 on: Mar 02, 2012, 02:13 PM »
I don't even run an airator.  I change about 1/2 the water every week and I've kept bait all winter like this. It's really not hard...

Offline outdoorsman7617

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #595 on: Mar 02, 2012, 02:17 PM »
I have had the same shiners (minus the ones I've fed to the fish ;) ) since November. Mine are in a 10 gallon container that I keep half full in a cold, but not freezing place. I change out half the water every 2 weeks. I started with several hundred, I have only had 9 die. I think the trick for me is the cold dark place, it seems to make them very docile. I also don't feed my bait, and even with no food and a very cold environment, my shiners are extremely active when used as bait. I hope this helps. :)
Yea I wouldbe keeping them in a large coolein my basement. thanks for the info

Offline outdoorsman7617

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #596 on: Mar 02, 2012, 02:18 PM »
I don't even run an airator.  I change about 1/2 the water every week and I've kept bait all winter like this. It's really not hard...
Yea I have been keeping some but each day I check on them I have 1 or 2 dead ones, so I am going to try putting them in a large cooler with an airator

Offline outdoorsman7617

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #597 on: Mar 02, 2012, 02:19 PM »
would it bother anything if I kept the smelts and shiners together?

Offline hal120

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #598 on: Mar 02, 2012, 02:33 PM »
would it bother anything if I kept the smelts and shiners together?
I started the season with around 200 doz common shiners (most people in my area call them emeralds) in december in a  70 gallon tank in the basement.  I change out 95% of the water every two or three days and feed the fish a small amount of goldfish flakes about once or twice a week.  The shiners have been fine all season.  In the middle of january I added in a few smelts and they did fine for about a month.  Then I started to notice the smelts were swimming slowly at the top.  After about a week all the smelts were dead.  I don't think they were eating, but I'm not sure thats why they died, but I don't think that the shiners had anything to do with it.  It has always been harder for me to keep smelts alive anyway, whether they were on the hook or in the tank. :tipup:
wishes won't catch fishes

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #599 on: Mar 02, 2012, 02:57 PM »
I started the season with two 35gal aquariums. One had over 2000 dace and the other had 1000-1500 shiners. I run a filter and airator in my un-insulated shed. I also have a heater in the water on a timer to run 6-8 hours a day to keep the water temp just above freezing. I don't change my water nearly as frequent as most, I change 50% maybe once a month, or longer if it doesn't get cloudy. Now I stocked my tanks in early November and have not had any siginficant die-off yet... Good luck, the best thing to do is try and adjust until you find the right combo for your house. Make sure the PH of your water is right or that will kill fish faster than anything...
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.