The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This years bait trapping thread  (Read 94606 times)

Offline gregf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: This years bait trapping thread
« Reply #510 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:35 PM »
The only reason i use shiners is because its all i get in my trap....im not picky
Fear is the enemy of progression.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #511 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:36 PM »
I use to only use shiners b/c thats what the bait shop had.  now that I trap my own bait.  I use what ever gets caught in the trap and is legal to use. 

Offline gregf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #512 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:41 PM »
I was hoping for some suckers to go up to sabattus with sometime soon, but none yet

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #513 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:44 PM »
I tried trapping suckers this year and just couldn't seem to locate any. Finally just had to go buy some.   Suckers and Dead smelts were the ticket up to sabattus when I was up there. 

Offline gregf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #514 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:50 PM »
Thanks for the tip ;) Im hoping to get up there soon to give it a try i have been letting them rest a little after the derby haha, i fished it once last year but was on foot so i wasn't fishing too far from the launch. Not one fish all day

Offline thefshdentist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #515 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:27 PM »
i traped all the suckers i got long before the ice arrived.

Offline tip up boss

• Team IceShanty Addict
traping shiners
« Reply #516 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:32 PM »
what type of location should i set a few bait traps and what depth and bait buting bait is burning my walet and i need advise

Offline ZTrial14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Catch and Release or Ketchup and Grease"
Re: traping shiners
« Reply #517 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:36 PM »
Bogs would be your best bet, and it depends on how big of shiners you want, try about a foot and a half of the ice and see what happens it has been workin for us gettin some nice red fin shiners!

Offline tip up boss

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #518 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:42 PM »
i dont know of any bogs  :-\

Offline ZTrial14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #519 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:44 PM »
try any run offs from rivers,lakes, ect

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #520 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:56 PM »
before you start setting traps in any rivers, streams, brooks, contact the wardens service and get the free permit to trap that water b/c rivers, streams, brooks are closed right now.  Hate to see you get a ticket.  Farm ponds are also a real good choice too.  If you see a farm pond stop by and ask the landowner for permission to trap the pond.  Most times they say yes sure,  if they say I don't think there is anything in there, just ask do you mind if I try b/c alot of times birds will bring the eggs in on their feet.   Set you traps and if you catch anything you've just got yourself your own private bait catching spot.  I also will go and show the landowners the minnows,  The couple that lets me trap their pond had the pond dug about 20yrs ago for their dairy farm.  He never knew of any fish being in it, they gave me permission, and It was the glory holes of bait ponds,  one trap will get all the bait that I will use and 3 of my friends will need and then some for an entire season.  I showed the owner what I was catching and he was amazed.   Also try golf courses, they have lots of water traps, and if you ask the greens keeper you will most likely be granted permission to walk only out on the course to the water hazards.  Also housing developments always have some sort of a retaining pond alot of times shiners end up in there as well from the "birds"  Look on google earth and look for small ponds/bog areas and go look for them and ask landowner permission.  Go semi dressed up, this helps.  remember first impressions,   don't be affraid to offer up some spring cleanup assistance for use of the owners pond. 

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #521 on: Feb 07, 2012, 09:58 PM »
if you know anyone with a farm pond, try there...thats where i got my shiners.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #522 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:04 PM »
also wade through "this years bait trapping thread" lots of good information in there.   

Fire dept ponds too are also great.  You know the ones that have the signs that say fire dept water supply only.   Find the local fire dept/town that uses the pond and ask if you can put a trap in.   Biggest hurdle is getting up the courage to knock on doors and be turned down by the owner.   I think I knocked on 10 doors last year and got 3 to say yes,  I went back to those same three this year and asked if I would still have permission to trap the pond again and all of them said yes.  As I made my rounds check traps I shoveled their walkways/ driveways/ brought dog biscuits/ chew toys.  Got to stay on the good side, I also picked up alot of trash from their yards along the roadside.   It just shows that you care and appreciate the oportunity.   Good Luck

Offline tip up boss

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #523 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:11 PM »
thanks alot for all the tip hopefuly ill find a spot or 2 thanks again tight lines  ;D :tipup:

Offline tip up boss

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #524 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:20 PM »
my buddy said try a man made pond has anyone tryed one

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #525 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:36 PM »
yes... that was what i was refering to. my uncle has a small trout pond loaded with goldens.

Offline ZTrial14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #526 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:38 PM »
Ya that would be a good idea to just make sure you get permission if its man made then someone owns it hahaha good luck

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #527 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:43 PM »
Thats basically what I'm saying if its manmade, then its owned by someone.   And most likely had some sort of bait fish "stocked" in thats why most people have a pond.   Nothing worse than being out on a "pond" and then sitting in the back of a crown vic, with some nice chrome plated bracelets. 

Offline ZTrial14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #528 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:47 PM »
Thats basically what I'm saying if its manmade, then its owned by someone.   And most likely had some sort of bait fish "stocked" in thats why most people have a pond.   Nothing worse than being out on a "pond" and then sitting in the back of a crown vic, with some nice chrome plated bracelets.
HAHAHAHAHAH that would suck,it might suck worse if you found out there was nothing in your trap lol :o

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #529 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:51 PM »
i would also recomend trying to trap them before there is a foot + of ice next year.

Offline ZTrial14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #530 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:58 PM »
Ya we did great in the fall 10 times has much has we are gettin now!!

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #531 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:38 AM »

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #532 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:35 AM »
Most "owned" ponds, such as Condo Associations/Complexes, Industrial Park watersupply ponds, Golf course ponds as well as other privately owned ponds , are stocked with minnows,shiners for mosquito control. Some assocations got smart and stocked thier ponds with Bridle Shiner (illegal for use in NH).Morons still try to take them with traps ,illegally without permission. Such owners frown on you tresspassing ,for starters, then removing baitfish they paid for and stocked for the purpose of insect control. Not only would you loose your fishing license for a year (NH) ,you could be charged with theft as well as trespassing.
                                                      GET PERMISSION or go to the baitshop.

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #533 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:19 AM »
If you trap on a river that is open to open water fishing year round you don't need the permit correct?

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #534 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:51 AM »
If you trap on a river that is open to open water fishing year round you don't need the permit correct?
Go to your states FnG website and look. Ifya can`t find any information, look for contacts and email them your question. Asking what the rules and regualtions are on an online website is not an accurate way to determine legality. Telling the warden , Joe Smoe from IS.com said it was legal carries no weight. ;)

Offline gregf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #535 on: Feb 08, 2012, 10:09 AM »
 I found a fire pond, decent size, on google maps early in the season and figured i would try trapping it, i took a ride down there and there were 6 traps in it already, so i figured its a pretty big pond i will throw a couple in. I did great over almost a 2 week span of trapping. Then went down one day to pull my traps and every hole in the pond was empty including mine! All the traps were gone, about 8-or-9. I knew one of the other guys trapping there so i contacted him and he said somebody went down there and stole them all. I guess its considered a development? Its a big horseshoe road and the pond is down the hill off the side. But i wouldnt consider it a complex, i even know people that live on the road. So i guess my rant is, do you think somebody stole them? Or do you think a home-owner got mad and took them out? I have heard of people trapping it for years. Just bummed i only have 14 little guys left in the tank, dont know if i should try again? Maybe a drop net so i dont have to leave it overnight? Thanks Guys

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #536 on: Feb 08, 2012, 01:00 PM »
most likely it was probably someone that was also trapping there, or a homeowner that got P.O'd and took them all out.   Sorry for your loss man.   You need to find a farm pond where you are the only one trapping it....   
Although Dasrottweiler has geat points, his laws are differant in NH.  In maine just ask permission to trap if its a privately owned pond, even in a developement.   But if its in a fairly public place, people will see you tending to your bait trap and there fore they will/may steal your trap/bait out of the pond.  Secluded and very private is the way to go.  There are not to many honest people left in the world

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
just wondering

FRESHBAIT

When I was a younger and in junior high,  I had a good friend of mine that lived right next to the public golf course hole number 7 which has a water hazard.  He would trap bait out of it and we would go fishing down to lake C with the bait that he caught out of the golf course pond.  I haven't tried trapping the pond since I've grown up.  I also don't know if he ever asked permission to trap bait out of either,  I never asked and he never told.   Just go ask,  I think thats what I'm gonna do on friday. 

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Asking permission isnt hard and sometimes can lead to more spots than the just the one you are checking on.  If they say no, be polite and thank them for their time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.