The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This years bait trapping thread  (Read 94604 times)

FRESHBAIT

Re: This year's bait thread...
« Reply #330 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Not sure why you couldn't use one,  I've done it in the summer and caught some really big bass on them. 

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #331 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:53 PM »
why not? Against the law? ??? Or the cusk just won't hit em when you are jigging for them in the middle of the day ;D

And like he has NEVER hooked on a Alewive after its been spit up by a cusk and send it back down the hole for another cusk!!  ;)2

Offline cmstearns

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #332 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:55 PM »
stupid question here...do u feed your bait and if so what????????????? :tipup: ;D
My favorite quote.. if guns kill people, then spoons made me fat.

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #333 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:59 PM »
somehting starnge happened today to my bait that ive never seen before. ive kept my own bait for my whole life and i havnt changed a thing and this morning i went down to check on them and there were about a dozen zippin around on their sides and a handfull laying on their sides on the bottom. i was pretty bummed out cuz ive never lost many bait at all especially all at once. i left them and figured i would dig them out when i got back home around noon. i went down and they were all up and swimmin arouind again? what do ya think?

-Brandon

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #334 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:00 PM »
stupid question here...do u feed your bait and if so what????????????? :tipup: ;D
No!!

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #335 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:01 PM »
somehting starnge happened today to my bait that ive never seen before. ive kept my own bait for my whole life and i havnt changed a thing and this morning i went down to check on them and there were about a dozen zippin around on their sides and a handfull laying on their sides on the bottom. i was pretty bummed out cuz ive never lost many bait at all especially all at once. i left them and figured i would dig them out when i got back home around noon. i went down and they were all up and swimmin arouind again? what do ya think?

-Brandon
Are they in your basement?

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #336 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:02 PM »

-Brandon

Too cold

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #337 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:03 PM »
sounds like they went into shock

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #338 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:04 PM »
That's what I was thinking, if my basement gets too warm, that happens to mine!!!

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #339 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:05 PM »
MDH, they are in my insulated bulkhead, same place ive always kept 'em. 

Offline grouper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #340 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:06 PM »

-Brandon

possum bait ..... good for nothing SOB

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #341 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:06 PM »

into shock from what, they have been in there over a month, no changes and the temps are very stable. water and air.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #342 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:11 PM »
Nitrogen poisoning . Without filtering the water . Fish poop....Nitrogen raises..fish die. Always change water alot. Treat water to get rid of clorine if you use tap water.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #343 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:14 PM »
Nitrate,Nitrite,Amonia  levels can all cause the fish to go into shock.  If they go from warm to really cold they'll go into shock and most times they'll come out of it if you've got really strong bait.  Sometimes one fish if its sick and goes into shock will give off chemical signals to the other fish and can cause them to freak out. 

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #344 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:15 PM »
i have a really good filter system, used the same method for 25 years and my dad did the same before that so im ruling that out plus water temp is 33-37degrees all the time so there is minimal waste anyhow. i do use town water and i always have w/ no issue what so ever. also ive never changed my water ever before. if its crystal clear and stays cold why bother?? there is plenty of oxygen being pumped in. they are fine now but it had me scratchin my head for sure. i was plannin on another 30 dozen tomarrow night.....i guess ill see what the morning brings.
thanks.

-Brandon

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #345 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:19 PM »
Nitrate,Nitrite,Amonia  levels can all cause the fish to go into shock.  If they go from warm to really cold they'll go into shock and most times they'll come out of it if you've got really strong bait.  Sometimes one fish if its sick and goes into shock will give off chemical signals to the other fish and can cause them to freak out.

now that is something i didnt know. this makes sense cuz they were zippin around like darts! i wonder if some of the bait i tossed back in from monday were a little numb????  like i said, clean clear cold water w/ tons of oxygen. same setup we have used for years.

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
First year bait trapping question
« Reply #346 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:03 PM »
Im catching alot of good shiners in the pond I'm trapping, but I'm catching just as many sunfish. It might be dumb but what I do I do with them? Just throw a 100 fish on the ice? Or put them back in the pond again to take out of the trap the next day?

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: First year bait trapping question
« Reply #347 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:05 PM »
ice em!

Offline Mainesalmonslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #348 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:06 PM »
 Feed da birds ;D

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #349 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:07 PM »
get your dealers licese frezze dry them and sell them to the southern boys!
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #350 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Sell them for what?

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #351 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:10 PM »
Sell them for what?

they use them in the southern states for catfish
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline maineute

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call it fishing, I call it catching
« Reply #352 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:07 PM »
Went and checked the traps this morning, I usually get a dozen bait every few days, 21 is the most I have ever had and I pulled 58 shiners ;D. Most all of them in the same trap. I could not believe it. I basically doubled my inventory in one day. I kept moving them and changing the depths, the percistence paid off, and yes, I moved another trap over close to it at the same depth.

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #353 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:31 PM »
Too cold
Really, I don't know about that.  They live in very cold water, so how cold could his water be? I would guess they are often in close to freezing water. IMHO ;)

My guess is ick(sp?) or some other viral/bacterial issue. Maybe amonia build up. Could cost you the whole lot. I sure hope it's nothing, maybe they were just playing a game... ;D
I fish.                                                         

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #354 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:46 PM »
i don't know if this is what you are talking about, but i have about 4 or 5 dace in my tank that are "rolling" on their sides and what not. other than that, they are fine, as well as my other bait. water is perfect too.

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #355 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:10 PM »
yep thats what they are doing. i did have a couple dead ones but the rest go in and out of it. i did notice tonight though i have some current in my water, elec. current. i think my pond pump is cracked from last year or it has a short somewheres. im gonna buy a new one when i get in town. wiould this current in the water play games w/ them?? makes sense to me that it could.

-Brandon

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #356 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:15 PM »
I'm sure the electric current didnt help anything. But the water should be changed or flushed frequently or you will get a toxic buildup in the water

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #357 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:25 PM »
all are swimming fine now. water temp is 36*, air temp is 44*just. water is crystal clear and my filters are just starting to turn brown. ill swap them out tomarrow. i have never had to change water in the past only add some if i steal it for my bait bucket in the morningsut a gallon and a half out of 100 gal. isnt much water swapping to me. funny thing i im running half the bait i normally do w/ only 45 dozen....

Offline hawgzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2011 Ice Shanty Fantasy NASCAR Champion
« Reply #358 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:30 PM »
i don't know if this is what you are talking about, but i have about 4 or 5 dace in my tank that are "rolling" on their sides and what not. other than that, they are fine, as well as my other bait. water is perfect too.

Once in a while I'll find bait that appears to have had a rough time in or getting into the trap as you can see bare patches where they have lost some scales.  Once they lose scales I would imagine they are  susceptible to ick or any other disease/bacteria (at least they are when water temperatures are above 50 degrees).  Any time I see those rolling on their sides, they get chucked so they don't contaminate the rest.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #359 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:15 PM »
Went and checked the traps this morning, I usually get a dozen bait every few days, 21 is the most I have ever had and I pulled 58 shiners ;D. Most all of them in the same trap. I could not believe it. I basically doubled my inventory in one day. I kept moving them and changing the depths, the percistence paid off, and yes, I moved another trap over close to it at the same depth.
WTG sounds like you found the secret to success.

I am thinking of painting our black trap Red just to see if it works any better, even if we only catch one fish it's more then it's caught already.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.