The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This years bait trapping thread  (Read 94598 times)

Offline hawgzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2011 Ice Shanty Fantasy NASCAR Champion
Re: This year's bait thread...
« Reply #210 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:50 PM »
I just set a couple of traps in a small pond and the water is really cloudy does anyone now if that is a problem the water is about 3 to 4 feet deep?

No problem...you'll be fine.

Offline hawgzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #211 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:56 PM »
went and checked my traps again this morning, I had a single shiner in 2 of my traps. I dumped the bait and put new bait into bags and reset them, I hope that makes them have to go into the traps to get the bait. I have caught 3 fish now, at this rate it will take me a month to get a dozen.

Keep moving them around.  Shiners stay together in a school for the most part.  It's just a matter of time before a school stumbles upon your trap.  Try different locations (next to wood, weeds, and/or different depths) and you'll get into them.  Throw a few small pieces of white styrofoam into your trap along with the bait.  Something about the color attracts them.  It can be frustrating.  I've had two traps virtually side by side; one had 350 shiners while the other had less than a dozen.  Who knows why....that's bait fishing for ya.  Typically there is no rhyme or reason, every time you think you have it figured out they do something different.

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #212 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:56 PM »
2 more dozen today. I now have about 325. I left my 3 black traps in a row yesterday. Today, 1 had 2 fish, 1 had 1 fish, and the 3rd had 23 fish. Same dogfood(haven't switched to bait bags yet gf. ;)) in each trap. My traps are on the bottom though, so maybe it is a question of whether debris pops up and blocks my entrance(ie. a leaf over one or both ends). Anyway, I'll be yanking them tomorrow and not resetting until I use some of what I have. Congrats to all the first time trappers on this thread! :clap:
I fish.                                                         

Offline hawgzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #213 on: Dec 24, 2011, 01:00 PM »
Just curious as to why you guys set your traps after the ice forms.  Is this to have fresher bait or due to some regulataion in Maine?  Thanks.

Just after first ice is typically when you'll do the best.  After that usually you'll see the numbers drop off as the weeks go by.  Not related to any regulations.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #214 on: Dec 24, 2011, 01:50 PM »
2 more dozen today. I now have about 325. I left my 3 black traps in a row yesterday. Today, 1 had 2 fish, 1 had 1 fish, and the 3rd had 23 fish. Same dogfood(haven't switched to bait bags yet gf. ;)) in each trap. My traps are on the bottom though, so maybe it is a question of weather debris pops up and blocks my entrance(ie. a leaf over one or both ends). Anyway, I'll be yanking them tomorrow and not re-setting until I use some of what I have. Congrats to all the first time trappers on this thread! :clap:

Since you love trapping so much, feel free to dump your bait off here and I'll house them for you  ;D

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #215 on: Dec 24, 2011, 03:09 PM »
How big of a difference have you guys noticed when your traps are set on the bottom rather than set a couple feet of the bottom? I haven't been a able to get out on the ice yet on the pond I'm trapping so I've only been able to put them on the bottom so I'm hoping when i do get out on the ice i will start to see better numbers..

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #216 on: Dec 24, 2011, 03:38 PM »
i like to suspend. You get less tadpoles and undesireables that way.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #217 on: Dec 24, 2011, 03:48 PM »
How big of a difference have you guys noticed when your traps are set on the bottom rather than set a couple feet of the bottom? I haven't been a able to get out on the ice yet on the pond I'm trapping so I've only been able to put them on the bottom so I'm hoping when i do get out on the ice i will start to see better numbers..

I trapped a pond for a few years and the only way I could consistently get shiners was to suspend the trap 2-3' below the surface. Otherwise I'd get all hornpout. Each pond is different though and you need to experiment.

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Dec 24, 2011, 05:35 PM »
i need some advice guys -- this summer i found a sweet honey hole for hhhuuuugggeeee shiners.... went to go drop some traps the other day and noticed someone else beat me to it.....  i guess im asking is what would you do??? drop a trap and say screw it? or dont.......

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #219 on: Dec 24, 2011, 06:59 PM »
i need some advice guys -- this summer i found a sweet honey hole for hhhuuuugggeeee shiners.... went to go drop some traps the other day and noticed someone else beat me to it.....  i guess im asking is what would you do??? drop a trap and say screw it? or dont.......

Put a trap in.

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #220 on: Dec 24, 2011, 07:55 PM »
had the same problem down here! I'm going to keep trapping it i don't mind sharing a spot as long as they don't mess with my traps

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #221 on: Dec 24, 2011, 07:58 PM »

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #222 on: Dec 24, 2011, 08:31 PM »
thats my biggest worry -- loosin a trap....  but f*** it right.....  nothing ventured, nothing gained.....

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #223 on: Dec 24, 2011, 08:35 PM »
exactly! its a what 10$ trap its not too much to worry about.. and you'll probably end up running into the guy sooner or later.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #224 on: Dec 24, 2011, 08:44 PM »

Ive never had any luck on bottom, usually from midway to the top of the water column is where theyre at.

I use a bouy (or a milk jug) to float the trap when theres no ice.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #225 on: Dec 24, 2011, 08:49 PM »
Im trying to use a 2 liter soda bottle to float mine under the ice to keep it off the bottom. I hope it helps

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #226 on: Dec 24, 2011, 08:54 PM »
right -- i know where he goes in -- i was also thinkin about leavin a note askin if the pond if big enough for two as long as i dont screw up his trappin -- leavin my number and if it matters to call me.....

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #227 on: Dec 24, 2011, 09:14 PM »
thats a good idea. i would say give it a  try

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #228 on: Dec 24, 2011, 10:23 PM »
thats my biggest worry -- loosin a trap....  but f*** it right.....  nothing ventured, nothing gained.....
In all the years I have trapped bait, I never had one stolen, Knock on wood, but I did have to buy 8 for ones crunched by ice.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #229 on: Dec 25, 2011, 02:18 AM »
In all the years I have trapped bait, I never had one stolen, Knock on wood, but I did have to buy 8 for ones crunched by ice.

crunched by ice ?????

Offline maineute

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call it fishing, I call it catching
« Reply #230 on: Dec 25, 2011, 11:05 AM »
I would leave him a note on his traps in a plastic bag, it will proabably be someone you know.
crunched by ice ?????
I agree how do you get a trap crunched by ice? ??? This definitely needs an explanation.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #231 on: Dec 25, 2011, 11:56 AM »
I would leave him a note on his traps in a plastic bag, it will proabably be someone you know. I agree how do you get a trap crunched by ice? ??? This definitely needs an explanation.
Trapped in to shallow of water one time and one place I like to trap is in the river and got caught up in some ice dams.

Offline hawgzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #232 on: Dec 25, 2011, 02:37 PM »

We had 2 clovers stolen this year...yeah thats just under $400.00 for the pair.  A big thank you to the SOB who did it.  Karma is a b%tch my "friend".  If anyone hears someone bragging about "finding" 2 new clovers, I'd appreciate a PM.  I'd be more than happy to fetch them from the coward thief myself.  There's a cash reward to the person who provides information leading to their safe return.

Offline Bear32

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #233 on: Dec 25, 2011, 03:47 PM »
We had 2 clovers stolen this year...yeah thats just under $400.00 for the pair.  A big thank you to the SOB who did it.  Karma is a b%tch my "friend".  If anyone hears someone bragging about "finding" 2 new clovers, I'd appreciate a PM.  I'd be more than happy to fetch them from the coward thief myself.  There's a cash reward to the person who provides information leading to their safe return.

I hate a thief! >:(

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #234 on: Dec 25, 2011, 04:03 PM »
We had 2 clovers stolen this year...yeah thats just under $400.00 for the pair. .
you got ripped twice. YEAH, I can build a big clover for less than $25.00.LMAO @)
How they biten

Offline hawgzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #235 on: Dec 25, 2011, 04:19 PM »
you got ripped twice. YEAH, I can build a big clover for less than $25.00.LMAO @)

Well I'm glad you're amused.  ???

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #236 on: Dec 25, 2011, 04:22 PM »
Well I'm glad you're amused.  ???
let me know next time your ready to drop 2 bills on one, I'll give you a deal. @)
How they biten

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #237 on: Dec 25, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Trapped in to shallow of water one time and one place I like to trap is in the river and got caught up in some ice dams.

Oh I see now .   I have had mine crushed while they were in the pond   thats why I was wondering .   I think there is a critter down there wanting in at the shiners or dog food ??  What ever it is it's a strong little bugger to bend up my trap the way he does .

Offline HardwaterFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #238 on: Dec 25, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Gasblaster, I have seen similar things happen. Typically this is otter activity, they are strong (and smart) enough to mangle a bait trap. Imagine walking down the street and seeing a hanging bag full of candy (or beer if you prefer), because thats what an otter sees in your trap. LOL.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #239 on: Dec 25, 2011, 07:41 PM »
Oh I see now .   I have had mine crushed while they were in the pond   thats why I was wondering .   I think there is a critter down there wanting in at the shiners or dog food ??  What ever it is it's a strong little bugger to bend up my trap the way he does .
Yea I have seen that happen as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.