The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: This years bait trapping thread  (Read 94595 times)

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: This year's bait thread...
« Reply #120 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Don't feel bad! I have a nice pond that was loaded with golden's, I guess there was a complete die off last winter, I've only got frogs now. >:( I should have taken time this summer to put some more in there to get it going again but just didn't get it done.

MG, If you show me where that pond is I could help "regulate" the population so you don't get anymore die offs.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #121 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:49 PM »
We dropped two pots in a new puddle tonight...can't wait until tomorrow. ;D
I fish.                                                         

Offline Hardwater Apprentice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #122 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:19 PM »
So far all Ive found is suckers ;/....I love suckers for togue fishing but Im still looking for a good spot for shiners.  I managed 1 shiner and lots of 5-8" suckers.  Time to try a new spot

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Dec 20, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Finally got around to setting a couple SILVER bait traps. Checked them after 3 hours and had just over 15 dozen of all sizes from 1.5" - 5" shiners. Reset them and will go check them with the kids before dark. Should have all the shiners I need for the season after tomorrow. ;D

This is my hi-tech bait setup. It works very well and have used it for 5 years. I change half the water every 2-3 weeks and subscribe to the no feeding theory. I make my own filters with supplies bought at the pet store. Hope to be using some of these this weekend.

Just went and hauled again and got another 14 dozen. Total of 29 dozen today in 8 hours.

Offline ChrisMinMaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:26 PM »
Finally got around to setting a couple SILVER bait traps. Checked them after 3 hours and had just over 15 dozen of all sizes from 1.5" - 5" shiners. Reset them and will go check them with the kids before dark. Should have all the shiners I need for the season after tomorrow. ;D
(Image removed from quote.)

This is my hi-tech bait setup. It works very well and have used it for 5 years. I change half the water every 2-3 weeks and subscribe to the no feeding theory. I make my own filters with supplies bought at the pet store. Hope to be using some of these this weekend.

Just went and hauled again and got another 14 dozen. Total of 29 dozen today in 8 hours.

Nice!  :clap: :clap:

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #125 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:59 PM »
I am running out of room, hope the ice gets here soon.

Offline maineute

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call it fishing, I call it catching
« Reply #126 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Another stupid question, are you better off to catch what you need for the near future rather than getting what you need for the whole season? It just seems to me that you would have "fresher" bait if you get some when you need it?

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #127 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:04 PM »
Whoo whoo!  I got 15 dozen more shinners today...  Now my count is up to 275 shinners..  Ya baby keep um comming.. :thumbsup:
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Another stupid question, are you better off to catch what you need for the near future rather than getting what you need for the whole season? It just seems to me that you would have "fresher" bait if you get some when you need it?
No. get it now because most places go stale and the bait leave or get trapped out by other people. :)

Offline blueberryman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:25 PM »
You guys are amazing.It is an honor to read your posts :bow:

Offline cmstearns

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #130 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:33 PM »
i have a small 80x100 by 1-3 feet deep swamp hole in my back yard, ive lived hear over a year and it never drys up could that hold bait fish.
i know stupid ????????????? but had to ask, going to by a bait trap and try it anyway tommorow. the ice is finally building hear in southern maine
My favorite quote.. if guns kill people, then spoons made me fat.

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #131 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:36 PM »
i have a small 80x100 by 1-3 feet deep swamp hole in my back yard, ive lived hear over a year and it never drys up could that hold bait fish.
i know stupid ????????????? but had to ask, going to by a bait trap and try it anyway tommorow. the ice is finally building hear in southern maine
Ya it could early, before it freezes down to thick. Give it a try you will know in a day or two trapping. :)

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #132 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:43 PM »

thats what i did today!!!!! drilled holes all over to find a nice spot and found a spot where it went from 1' to 3' like instantly so i put a trap there
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline ted10

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • home sweet home. the dog house
« Reply #133 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:59 PM »
plenty of bait for now. mostly das and shiners . @) :tipup: :tipup:
TED JAMES

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:00 PM »
No. get it now because most places go stale and the bait leave or get trapped out by other people. :)
X2

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:02 PM »
The "puddle" I trapped those 29 doz in is about 20' x 40' and maybe 4' deep.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Like others have said, you better get it why you can. We need to catch enough to cover 5 of us fishing.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #137 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:10 AM »
Like others have said, you better get it why you can. We need to catch enough to cover 5 of us fishing.
And sometimes it's harder to trap latter!!!  One, the ice is thicker and harder to get a trap in, and Two, the bait get harder to find in the small ponds.

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #138 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:48 AM »
We dropped two pots in a new puddle tonight...can't wait until tomorrow. ;D

about 50 tadpoles. :P
I fish.                                                         

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #139 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:35 AM »

try it especially if water runs out of it. i pull a good charge of dace out of hole half that size early every year.

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #140 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:36 PM »
New spot turned out to be a tadpole hole...next spot scouted and dropped...3 traps in. Tomorrow is another day. :)
I fish.                                                         

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #141 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:40 PM »
New spot turned out to be a tadpole hole...next spot scouted and dropped...3 traps in. Tomorrow is another day. :)
You must have had it sitting on bottom?  I always set right under the ice early season.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #142 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:47 PM »
First pull for me today, only 4 doz. but great looking stuff for trout / salmon..... 50 doz. is going to take awhile. :'( ;D

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:10 PM »
I pulled 3 traps from my spot yesterday (12 hour soak) I pulled 9 dozen shiners. Gave them another 12 hour soak and pulled 14 dozen shiners today. Ive got about 25 dozen + in my tank. Need a little more and I shall be good.

Offline maineute

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call it fishing, I call it catching
« Reply #144 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:29 PM »
This thread made me go out and buy a trap today, I followed all of the advice I have read. I will check it in the morning and see what I get. I don't have a dog so I used bread. Hope it works. Could only find a black trap, I may have to paint it.

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #145 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:40 PM »
You must have had it sitting on bottom?  I always set right under the ice early season.

Interesting MDH, you are correct about bottom. I got zero fish in 3 days though, and it is a very small pond with no inlet that I could see. I think she's a freezer, but tell me more about suspending your traps...I hadn't thought about it. ??? :-\ :)
I fish.                                                         

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:08 PM »
This thread made me go out and buy a trap today, I followed all of the advice I have read. I will check it in the morning and see what I get. I don't have a dog so I used bread. Hope it works. Could only find a black trap, I may have to paint it.

Doritos and Big Red work also. :tipup:

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #147 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:10 PM »
Interesting MDH, you are correct about bottom. I got zero fish in 3 days though, and it is a very small pond with no inlet that I could see. I think she's a freezer, but tell me more about suspending your traps...I hadn't thought about it. ??? :-\ :)

Mine are a foot below the ice in 4-5' of water Liam, just picked up 3 doz. more after a 4 hour soak and some suckers too boot. :tipup:

Offline blueberryman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:13 PM »
I am going to need a boat to check mine.It is raining and 37 degrees :'(

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #149 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:36 PM »
ok so a spot i fish i do better with shiners than dace. so i figure that means the shiners are the primary food sources. this pond is deep(30 feet) but not big. should i try the bog end of this place or what? once i  make my other traps ill have more traps to try more spots for them but im hoping ot have 2 traps on this pond and 2 one the other one across the road.
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.