The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cordless drill for Auger  (Read 10306 times)

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cordless drill for Auger
« on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:28 AM »
i am in need of a new drill in general and figured i will get one with the capacity to handle being used with my 6"nils.  i have read about the Milwaukee Fuel M18 and Dewalt 20V.  ANy one having success with any other drills? What amp battery are you using?  How many holes are you getting per battery?

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cordless drill for Auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:09 PM »
I began using the Rigid Gen5x 18V.  It came with 2 amp/hr bateries.  I will eventually upgrade to the 4 amp/hr.  The drill has 700 troque /lbs.  Yesterday I drilled a proximate 20 holes in 10-12" of ice and still had 1/2 the battery left.  The drill also has a lifetime waranty

Offline bsapp15401

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:16 PM »
I purchased the 24V Kobalt Drill, just the step below the Hammer Drill, Brushless 650 in/pounds...running a Clam Plate and the 8" Mora Auger. Drilled a lot of holes probably 12" of ice used two 1.5 A/H batteries.

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:07 PM »
i picked up a Kovac nils drill adapter ..but i like the way the clam kit has more to hold on to .. seems like a minimum of 18Volt brushless

Offline beavercountybob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Ridgid gen. 5 with 4ah batteries.  Home Depot has a special right now.  Buy the hammer drill and the impact driver for 280 with charger and two batteries get a free rigid cordless tool of choice.  I got a 7 1/4 circular saw that has great reviews on YouTube.    All have lifetime warranty.  Even the batteries.  Drilled 15 6" holes thru 9" of ice and still had a 75 percent battery.  Extremely light and way faster than my gas auger.

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:19 PM »
i might be headed to home depot after work today!!

Offline chuck22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:23 PM »
Ridgid gen 5 her I got it last year its awesome just make sure your blades are sharp or the amount of holes drops very quickly

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:34 PM »
i will be using a 6 inch nils with a kovac adapter

Offline icewolf69

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:22 PM »
The clam plate will definitely make your drill bearings last longer, i used a dewalt 18v hammer drill first(its what i had) w/3a/h batteries and which worked fine , made a adapter for a mora 6" w/o the clam plate. The drill takes a lot of abuse that way. Last year i upgraded to a dewalt 20v brushless hammer drill w/5 a/h batteries & a clam plate, you can drill a day long. With a 6" nils and a 5 or 6 a/h battery i would think you could punch a ton of holes. Also the clam plate keeps your drill and battery off the ice.

Offline uplander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:00 PM »
I bought a Milwaukee fuel hammer drill last weekend. If you order off the Home Depot website you get a free 5amphour battery. Drill charger and (3) 5ah was $300.

It is very small and a beast.  1200in-lbs of torque.  I wouldn’t want to drill without the t-handle attached.

Only had is hooked up to 6” auger thus far. I drilled 20 holes through about 7-8” of ice last Sunday and the battery still shows fully charged.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:19 AM »
Uplander- that's the same deal I got last year. I went in to my local Home Depot and all they carry in the store is the regular drill/driver with two 5.0AH batteries for $299.  But online you could get the upgraded hammer drill plus an extra 5.0AH battery for the same price. Cannot beat that deal!!!!!!!!!!!  @)

And if you like it with the 6" auger................. ...................... .......wait til you try it with an 8"!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:36 AM »
I bought a clam plate 4 years ago, I put my 18 volt Dewalt drill with 4amp hr batteries on it and I think that's the best thing I ever did . I have only used a 5" lazer auger with it so far but the first time out we counted how many holes we could drill before it quit. 97 holes in 14" of ice, I was more than happy with that.No gas, no noise, no fums, lite weight, I LOVE IT. 

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:15 AM »
i might be headed to home depot after work today!!

i picked this up last night... i was looking into the clam kit but with the nils it looks like it would require another adaptor  which would would add another $30-$40 ish... im going to give the Kovac a shot and go from there...   obviously i dont want the drill in hammer mode but what speed do i and the drill in?

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:39 AM »
Usually you run in the lowest speed assuming 2 speeds. I have an 18v Makita that works fine, brushes as all. I am using a clam plate but bought an adapter before trying it. A Lazer drill and the clam plate without the adapter will be way to short for most without killing your back imo. I'm using a 6" auger, and the adapter just makes up for the length you lose from the original handle.

Offline iceslider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2018, 01:06 PM »
Just bought the 18 fuel with 2 5a batteries for 199.  Used it Wednesday on my 8 in nils with just the plate adapter so it doesn't go down the hole if it comes loose.  Drilled 37 holes through 12 in of ice only used 1 out of 4 bars cut like butter.
Well I ain’t often been right but I never been wrong
Seldom turns out the way it does in the song

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Just bought the 18 fuel with 2 5a batteries for 199.  Used it Wednesday on my 8 in nils with just the plate adapter so it doesn't go down the hole if it comes loose.  Drilled 37 holes through 12 in of ice only used 1 out of 4 bars cut like butter.

thats what im talking about!  I might have to look into getting an 8inch nils again!  I liek my 6 and its is effortless by hand but if this set up is as good as i thinki will be, it would be nice to go back to a bigger hole

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:12 PM »
 I use a Dewalt 20 volt hammerdrill 1/2" chuck, with a 8" lazer auger. I have drilled 27 holes (17 " ice) with one lithium battery.
TEAM  PA.

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:58 PM »
I have a Craftman 19.2 with a Clam plate 5” lazer drill after 20 holes it still shows full charge. I love the plate you don't have the drill in the snow or water like it was yesterday.
Always keep your line wet!

Offline Ken18621

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:59 PM »
I use a rigid brushless....  never a problem.......  and like others have said , the drill and batteries are guaranteed for life......  can't beat that.

Offline Kenneth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Use the rigid gen x. 700 pound torque with problems.

Offline Fishslayer3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2018, 02:49 AM »
I'm running a Gen 5x RIDGID hammer drill on a clam plate and turning an 8in Eskimo silvertip auger.... not one issue so far. I actually had to make a stop on the trigger bar in case I get a little to happy and squeeze too hard, it blows right through the ice. I also upgraded from the 2 amp to 4 amp batteries. So far in the two short trips I've been out this year I've not even used half a battery. Probably drilled around 150in of ice. I know its not much but its what happens when you have small kids and work crazy swing shift hours... you get out when you can and enjoy it. I wouldn't trade my setup for any gas auger that's for sure!

Offline Ice.rat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:22 AM »
does anybody know if you buy the drill adapter can you use the auger off your gas powered auger.

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:16 AM »
Like icewolf im runin a dewalt on a clam conversion wit 6 " auger broke my first dewalt because it was a light weight drill went wit a heavyier dewalt and keep my blades sharp so far so good

Offline iceintioga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:51 AM »
20 volt Dewalt, brushless-4amp batteries- 70-80 holes per charge, with a 6" lazer, hand auger blade--Bought the drill and charger on ebay. I bought the Batteries separate. The bats that come in the kit are less amps, but still will work.
 I would recommend a 5" blade, friend has one, and gets more holes from a charge..out drills the Ion, faster, and my rig only weighs 7 lbs.. A side note: A friend has to keep his Ion batteries warm, my drill bats stay hot without removal each time you use it in cold weather..

Offline iceintioga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:55 AM »
20 volt Dewalt, brushless-4amp batteries- 70-80 holes per charge, with a 6" lazer, hand auger blade--Bought the drill and charger on ebay. I bought the Batteries separate. The bats that come in the kit are less amps, but still will work.
 I would recommend a 5" blade, friend has one, and gets more holes from a charge..out drills the Ion, faster, and my rig only weighs 7 lbs.. A side note: A friend has to keep his Ion batteries warm, my drill bats stay hot without removal each time you use it in cold weather..

Offline lovethoseyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:09 AM »
I bought a 24v Kobalt brushless drill from Lowe's and put it on a Clam plate with a 5 in. auger.  I was skeptical about using a drill on ice, but I was stunned!  I had bought an extra 4va battery and started with it and kept my 2va (that came with the drill) as a spare.  My first time out, I zipped around 20 holes through 6 in. of ice with no noticeable drain on the battery.  Until I see 12 inches plus of ice I'm not even going to carry the spare battery.  I also own an eight inch gas auger which has now seen it's last days on the ice.

Offline Jostrander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2018, 10:00 AM »
I use my brushless 20v porter cable on my clam plate with 7" lazer bit. Works great. Just get big batteries.

Offline Brianm14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Just wanted to updated.. purchased the Rigid 18v Gen5 combo with the 4amp batteries ...  attached my 6 inch nils with the Kovac Adapter.. Lost count of holes drilled in the 40+ range.. ice was 4-5" clear solid black ice.. this thing ripped right through with ease.  at the end of the day my battery still showed full!
 ................... So 40+ holes, 4-5 inches of ice, still had full battery at the end of the day!   I highly recommend this drill and kovac adaptor!  very price friendly and effective!

Offline 412Damian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Has anyone had luck without the hammer drill or impact drill feature? I'm wondering if my regular old 20v DeWalt 2 speed will get torn up or cut some holes ???

Offline lovethoseyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:12 AM »
I don't think I would try to drill holes in the "hammer drill" mode.  You may be looking for some new blades for your auger. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.