Author Topic: DIY Throw Rope  (Read 20687 times)

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Re: DIY Throw Rope
« Reply #30 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:14 AM »
Glad to see more safety awareness than in the past. I have always used the life ring attached to fifty feet of floating line and fortunately have never needed it. One thing I do differently, I have a pair of floating spike handles tucked under a rubber band on the ring as well as another set on the opposite end strapped to a bowline loop. If the victim has enough strength to use the spikes it makes rescue easier, plus the extra set means I can get the bowline over me and use the spikes to crawl away with power.
Be safe!

Offline fishall30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2016, 05:27 PM »
Good point frogmaster I will make a bigger loop on my throwable. Be Safe.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2016, 08:50 PM »
An excellent way to help someone else in distress, but it won't do you a bit of good if you're out on the ice by yourself and there's no one to throw it to you! Wear your own floatation and don't depend on someone else to save you, plan ahead to save yourself!!!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 18, 2016, 09:04 PM »
This should be turned into a sticky. Many excellent ideas.

WS

X2

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:13 PM »
Also, instead of something that floats on the end it should have a big loop instead. People that have been in frigid water for 10 minutes or more are too weak to hold on to a rope to be pulled out of the water. The loop should be big enough so the person can put it over his head and under each arm so the loop pulls on the upper body underneath the armpits.

Like shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOW8ZaYqHA
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Jayjay05stsc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 27, 2016, 09:51 PM »
Thanks for the reminder and all the excellent ideas... Now I'm going to make mine... Thanks

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 28, 2016, 06:29 PM »
Thanks for the reminder and all the excellent ideas... Now I'm going to make mine... Thanks

Use a floating rope with a big loop on the end and you can't go wrong!

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2017, 01:30 PM »
Read up on and practice throwing a split coil. With practice; you can retrieve, coil and get full deployment of a 50' throw line in under a minute.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.