Author Topic: DIY Throw Rope  (Read 20684 times)

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
DIY Throw Rope
« on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:16 AM »
Put this together with a Dollar Tree 100foot soft nylon rope and a used detergent bottle filled 1/3 with very sudsy water.

Extra care was taken to wrap rope with no chance of knottage when/if it is called to action.

Total Investment = $1.06.
Life Saving Potential = Priceless

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: DIY Throw Rope
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:31 PM »
Very kool ! I made something similar with a 2 liter pop bottle. I put a couple inches of rock salt it in for a little weight for throwing. Glued the top on and tied 100 ft. of 1/4 inch nylon rope to it. Throws and floats great and ALL my buddies know i carry it !

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:05 PM »
I've tried similar items like this on dry land without much success. Problem is no matter how hard you try to keep the rope from tangling when you throw it, it tangles. Whats even worse is the time it takes to retrieve the rope, recoil it and try again "if" you miss. It can take a lot of time when seconds count. With a throw bag the rope is smaller, floating, not tangled from being in the bottom of the sled and easy to throw. If you miss you just jamb the rope back in the bag as it's retrieved and re-throw. I carry one on my sled and my boy has one on his pack. We also practice throwing once or twice a year (usually when fishing is bad). Lots of brands out there and most are reasonably priced (some less than $15.00). http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VW17E/ref=asc_df_B0000VW17E1394601?smid=A2YLYLTN75J8LR&tag=dealtmp5800-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0000VW17E

Offline fishall30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:51 PM »
I picked up the boat fender for $6 and 100' of rope for $3 at Wally World. It throws out the 100' with ease and doesn't tangle bad. If needed I believe it would work great without getting to close to the bad Ice.

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:39 PM »
Nice job.

About the only improvement would be to replace that stiff nylon rope (which will curl up and get tangled in cold temps). The soft rope I used is very slick and will stay that way if kept dry in a gear box until it is needed.

I agree that I could have bought a throwing device made specifically for this purpose.

But I like redneck engineering projects, and I know I can toss/lob my bottle accurately, and I'm sure a drowning man will not be offended if I rescued him "on the cheap"  ;D

Offline fishall30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Drake I meant no disrespect towards your throwing device. Just posting a picture of mine. Anything to possibly Fish another day. Be Safe

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:10 AM »
no problem man, it's all good stuff.

actually, after a couple of beers one night, I thought about using my ex-wife as the flotation device.

But, the last time I saw her she had dropped alot of weight and is no longer buoyant....

....hmmmm, now that she is leaner & meaner - she would make a great depth-finder...  ;D

Offline biggary99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Hi Guys, the throwing devices are both great but the rope is the most important. The nylon rope once it gets wet will be hard to handle and will start to sink as SOON as it gets WET. The Yellow Polypropylene will remain floating allowing the victim to grab it anywhere along it's length that is close to them. Just a comment from a Retired Naval Chief, have fun fishing and BE SAFE.

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty biggary99 , Glad to have ya aboard ! Good call on the poly, I spent the 17 bucks and got the coast guard approved throwing device !  fits on the dash of the sled and I have deployed it in under 30 seconds ! Getting it back in the toss bag is a different matter ! :blink: :roflmao:

P.S.  Chief, Thanks for your service !

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2011, 03:54 AM »
Hmmm...I will have to check to see if my polypropylene rope will float. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline IceFisher64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:37 PM »
made mine from a swimming pool lane buoy[red/white] with 50 feet of rope always with me on the ice

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Guys,
  Having spent years training military personnel for drown pr offing and private sector for aquatic emergencies  I'd like to offer a few tips .
1. Stand on the rope ( seen many people throw the whole thing out )
2. Never throw at the victim throw past ( gives you 2 Chane's one going out one coming back )
3. Softball underhand works best
4. Practice practice practice !! Knowing what to do will help you remain calm !
All of the above mentioned items will work in an emergency but having a plan is most important !
  It's funny I was just talking to some friends about this over dinner and I have a throw bag on my shack outside next to the door and a second I carry on my shoulder when I'm
walking out and back .
 With the ice coming so late this year I hope no one takes a chance ! Let's all be safe and look out for one another!
Taking a basic CPR/first aid course is never a bad idea !
---- Joe ----

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2011, 08:43 PM »
I store all of my rope in bags, I have one in boat raft and ice sled. It comes out easy and no knots and can throw them around 40 feet. Easy to make, also comes in handy when spuding

Offline Richhays1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Stuff sacks are the way to go. I like the photo above. Not sure I like the rope. But if i'm in the water just throw it!

We have stuff sacks for tech rescue and ice rescue. they are very easy to load and to throw. Like it was said before, anchor the rope, step on it, have someone else hold. Just don't let it out of your control. Practice, practice. Think throwing a jug with rope is easy and accurate?  It may be, but when you have a guy begging to not die is not the time to practice.
Why can't I catch the fish my fish finder sees?

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:40 PM »
A lariat works great too! Just imagine the guys head sticking up through the water as a steers heals! ;D

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:46 AM »
I did two things a tad different.  At the "tag" end (pulling end) I tied an oversized boline. I can step on it, and once the throw is completed.....and hopefully successful, I pull it up around my waist to pull with. This eliminate rope slippage through my gloves or cold hands. I also use a "ring" type float. I do this because the victim will be ultra cold, and have almost no strength. If they can get an arm through the ring, they'll have more leverage to hold on rather than trying to hold onto a roap or "sausage shaped" float with cold useless hands. Just my $.02

ed

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2012, 08:07 AM »
Well, it's that thin ice time of year again so I thought I might describe my throw rope. About 50' of 3/8 nylon, boat fender on the throwing end, 8" grapple hook on the other. The fender is just like everyone else's, throws easy, floats and has a loop for the victim to put his hands/arms in. The grapple has sharp points and will dig into the ice with one kick, or hook in a hole to anchor the pulling end. It's a good handle to pull on, and God forbid it's ever needed, might fish someone out who's unconcious or goes under.

Offline Davey why

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2012, 09:12 AM »
I have in my rope collection  water ski rope that floats with built in eyes
on each end  that works for me      boat bumpers work real good also

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:03 AM »
These are all great ideas, thanks for posting guys!  If anyone else can add to these ideas and/or post pictures it would be great!

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2012, 11:00 AM »
Maybe I missed it above?  I did not see a BOWLINE-LOOP on the same end as the Throw-Device!  ???
Yes it is best to have a Boweline-Loop on both ends for pulling reasons stated above.  If I had 1 to 3 minutes of strength as the recueee, best to get bowline-loop overhead and under arms!  Nothing would be worse than seeing rescueee not have strength to hold device or device slips and re-throw as he slips forever :(  Hate to be so graphic but hey we are all BIG BOYS and need a wake up slap of reality sometimes).  GODBLESS & FISH-SAFE :)
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline wallyspartan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2012, 04:56 PM »
i use a water-keeled duck decoy for my throw rope, had an extra one hanging around.  strung the line through the keel, then tied a loop about 2 ft up for an extra hand hold.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2012, 12:31 AM »
I have 40' of 1/2 nylon with a 12-14'' piece of 1 1/4'' pvc tied in a loop at one end; looks like a toe rope for water skiing. Keeps the end open so an arm can fit through and provides weight for tossing. Also have a loop tied to the other end for maintaining possession. Probably will do some practice tomorrow, and I agree with the underhand delivery, at least for me. Stay safe all!

Offline McLovin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2012, 09:20 AM »
I have always taken a rope with me ice fishing. I must admit that after reading these posts, I do not know if my rope floats. I also do not have anything tied to the end for throwing. The tips about throwing underhand and standing on the rope are excellent. Thank you guys!!

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:18 PM »
There a lot of good info here. I will be making a throw before my next trip.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:14 PM »
This should be turned into a sticky. Many excellent ideas.

WS

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2013, 11:41 AM »
50' of soft polyester anchor rope with a rubber keel roller on one end of a loop for weight in tossing distance.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2013, 05:57 PM »
Lots of good advice, makes a person think. Thanks for getting the wheels turning!  :clap:

WS

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:45 PM »
 Good Idea/

Offline old buffalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Lots of good ideas here.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2013, 01:48 PM »
My plan is to use a commercial bag with with a 5-6mm climbing rope. Idea is to connect a small bouy on one end for weight/float and to use a (real) carbiner to clip the other end to the rack on the snowmobile. If the machine ever goes through I can us it as a recovery rope  ;).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.