Author Topic: Cabelas to be bought out by Bass Pro Shops?  (Read 28256 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Cabelas to be bought out by Bass Pro Shops?
« Reply #90 on: Feb 23, 2016, 03:28 AM »
When a public company gets into trouble, major investors will buy up the undervalued stock, gain a majority share and force the company to strip itself to the bone. They'll go as far as liquidation but mostly instigate a sale to a competitor in order to profit on their investment.

They could give a rats behind about who likes or dislikes Cabelas or whether it survives. Anything on the expense side of the ledger is expendable including employees.

Bass Pro has the opportunity to buy out its largest competitor at a greatly undervalued price. The question is, do they have the cash? You can bet there are other investors looking at the opportunity as well. There are no angels on Wall Street.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Feb 23, 2016, 07:52 AM »
Cabelas is in serious debt. Id be willing to bet that they know the take over is happening, but how much can they get out of it is the question.

How did Cabelas end up in debt?

Chute82

« Reply #92 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:44 AM »

Spending more then they are making

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 23, 2016, 09:35 AM »
If you go back and look at the marketplace these companies are in as whole it's the entire space that's hurting. BPS has cancelled huge mega store builds in various regions. They just have that advantage of being a private company still. As rg said there are no angels on wall street. Could very well be gamesmanship stategy in order to boost stocks and bussiness. Just talked to a contractor starting a brand new cabelas warehouse in sidney, ne. Project starts today! The money is still being spent, and nothing has been said for months for a reason. With bussiness men nothing is ever "off the table" and everything is played from the shadows!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #94 on: Feb 23, 2016, 12:53 PM »

When Cabelas built their Richfield location, they demanded that the county pay for the building and infrastructure with the promise that they'd hire X amount of employees and turn their revenue into big tax dollars for the city and county. None of that happened.

So, it's an accumulation of many factors, bad business choices, lack of sales and economies that can't support such huge overhead. What get's me the most is that Cabelas basically holds communities hostage with the promise of big tax revenues and doesn't pay up when they don't reach goals. It's like paying for a store so you can shop and spend more money.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Feb 23, 2016, 02:12 PM »
Maybe they should have focused on selling more than apparel.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #96 on: Feb 23, 2016, 02:17 PM »
Maybe they should have focused on selling more than apparel.
They all do that, apparel has the best mark up and you don't need knowledgeable staff to sell it...

Offline tbulhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Feb 23, 2016, 02:19 PM »
Maybe Cabelas should their catalog and online parts to Gander Mountain with a no compete clause.   I believe the reverse happened in the 90's.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #98 on: Feb 23, 2016, 02:24 PM »
When a public company gets into trouble, major investors will buy up the undervalued stock, gain a majority share and force the company to strip itself to the bone. They'll go as far as liquidation but mostly instigate a sale to a competitor in order to profit on their investment.

They could give a rats behind about who likes or dislikes Cabelas or whether it survives. Anything on the expense side of the ledger is expendable including employees.

Bass Pro has the opportunity to buy out its largest competitor at a greatly undervalued price. The question is, do they have the cash? You can bet there are other investors looking at the opportunity as well. There are no angels on Wall Street.

Rg

Gander Mtn had an IPO and went public and it was a disaster. Luckily, David Pratt bought enough stock to become the majority holder and the company then went private again. Looking at Cabelas's stock history in the last 12 years, they're up about 26.00 from they're IPO, so it's not the stock is tanking and people are scooping it up cheap. It's high was about 72.00 in 2013 and has been gradually falling the last 2-3 years now.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #99 on: Feb 23, 2016, 02:26 PM »
Maybe Cabelas should their catalog and online parts to Gander Mountain with a no compete clause.   I believe the reverse happened in the 90's.

GM sued to get theirs back. Then started back up with the web and bought Overtons.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Feb 23, 2016, 03:19 PM »
Spending more then they are making

I love this answer!!!!💪🏻💪🏻
Catching Any?

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:44 PM »
I was never in love with either, but would hate to see my Cabelas merchandise lose it's lifetime satisfaction warranty.      In about 2007 during the economy crunch the stock was $5, a year or 3 later it topped at $72 or so...   My sister made bank on it.  I was too dumb to buy it. 

Somebody commented on the Cabelas Credit Card, there are better ones, like the GM Card that gives 5% back toward a new GM vehicle.   You build the points then go negotiate the best price you can, then pull out the card and tell them about it. You have no obligation to tell them before hand.  I don't tell them before hand.   I have saved about $10K on new car purchases in the last 15 years.    $3000 on my wife's Cruze last spring.  You can only build about $500 per year, it's been a while for a new car for us.

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #102 on: Feb 24, 2016, 07:54 AM »
I was never in love with either, but would hate to see my Cabelas merchandise lose it's lifetime satisfaction warranty.      In about 2007 during the economy crunch the stock was $5, a year or 3 later it topped at $72 or so...   My sister made bank on it.  I was too dumb to buy it. 

Somebody commented on the Cabelas Credit Card, there are better ones, like the GM Card that gives 5% back toward a new GM vehicle.   You build the points then go negotiate the best price you can, then pull out the card and tell them about it. You have no obligation to tell them before hand.  I don't tell them before hand.   I have saved about $10K on new car purchases in the last 15 years.    $3000 on my wife's Cruze last spring.  You can only build about $500 per year, it's been a while for a new car for us.

Because I'm a Gander Mtn employee, I felt sorta obligated to take out the Gander Master Card. While the points are decent, 3% on in-store purchases which I use religiously, the finance rate on these cards sucks. I'm sure Cabelas card holders will still get their points via Bass Pro, I'd be shocked if they were that dumb to cut off their customers.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #103 on: Feb 25, 2016, 06:40 PM »
Because I'm a Gander Mtn employee, I felt sorta obligated to take out the Gander Master Card. While the points are decent, 3% on in-store purchases which I use religiously, the finance rate on these cards sucks. I'm sure Cabelas card holders will still get their points via Bass Pro, I'd be shocked if they were that dumb to cut off their customers.

I'd agree with this. I do know that Cabelas was positioning to separate the CC business from the retail part. Don't know if that will succeed and if it does might be enough to deflect potential suitors as that was a big part of their business.

Yup, IF BP buys the whole enchilada and resets existing points to zero, I'd never buy there again. I think they know that. Heck, the company I work for recognizes the value of regional brands and BP may even decide to run Cabelas branded stuff on that basis. Wouldn't be a bad move in the Midwest where Cabelas enjoys a stronger following than BP as a "good ol Southern boy" outfit.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #104 on: Feb 25, 2016, 07:14 PM »
Here in PA, I have been to both the Cabela's and the BPS.  For ice fishing and clothing, I believe Cabela's has an upper hand, but for open water fishing it is BPS.  The problem I have with the Cabela's is that it seems dirty and unorganized.  This could be from management not enforcing policies with the employees.  Also when you go through the BPS, customer service reps come up to you and ask if you need help, all the times I have been at Cabela's I have not been approached once.  Hopefully no matter what happens, Cabela's can get these issues fixed because I really believe the clothing of Cabela's is much better.  Just my 3 cents worth.

Offline jag27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Feb 25, 2016, 08:27 PM »
I know a person who is high up at Dicks (which I think blows), Dicks had made an offer a few years ago to Cabelas, it was turned down, and they withdrew the offer, then came the Field and Stream Stores.  Bass Pro has a current offer on the table now.  The only thing that has been keeping Cabelas afloat is their credit card.  I was told that with the way the economy is, Bass Pro has put everything on hold, all expansions, and possibly the buyout of Cabelas.  But they did have an offer on the table that had been considered.  Believe what you want to believe.  The only people who really know are the ones who sit in the meetings behind closed doors.

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Feb 25, 2016, 08:50 PM »
Who needs Cabelas when you have FishUSA!!! Best deals on everything! Just bought a pair of chest waders saved 25-50$ from everyone else!!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #107 on: Feb 26, 2016, 04:01 AM »
FishUSA is great for fishing but they don't have hunting and shooing stuff.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Feb 26, 2016, 09:45 PM »

neither does bass pro or gander or cabelas. at that....this is ware a lot of guys are going for specialty shops for their hunting gear and shooting supplies but that's just personal thought... this is because cableas ,bass pro, and gander give big discounts cause they can use there volume discount..

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #109 on: Feb 27, 2016, 03:47 AM »
I guess all the hunting clothes, ammo, guns, decoys, and so on are a figment of many's imaginations. 

Chute82

« Reply #110 on: Feb 27, 2016, 07:41 AM »

Victoria's Secret doesn't sell fishing, hunting, or shooting... But it never bothered me

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Feb 27, 2016, 11:27 PM »
I guess all the hunting clothes, ammo, guns, decoys, and so on are a figment of many's imaginations.

cabelas is like going to sears  to by hunting gear they sell it but is it good and what's best out there for that situation? with corporations with ceo's that decided what carried  you don't get as good of products your better off with some thing were some one can help you with good customer service etc etc.. like this place I am sure there more of them out there... try finding a drum clip for a sks at cabelas "not going to happen at cabelas" they use to sell them at link below till they got banded by the government ...never did at cabelas... and never will or even a hell fire trigger guard or a muzzle suppressor...not going to happen at cabelas...tell you that much... 

https://www.natchezss.com/

Offline IceOsprey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Feb 28, 2016, 12:02 AM »
I used to like cabelas but have had very poor experiences with them this last year. And customer service what a joke and a bunch of dishonest people. I live about 20 min from BPS but the gear that they carry vs the fishing I do is too far apart. Too much warm water stuff not enough cold water stuff. I stick with the local sportsmans warehouse they carry what you want and also what works.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #113 on: Feb 28, 2016, 12:02 AM »
I hate to tell you this but no matter what store you go to there's someone who decides what items and brands they're going to sell.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Feb 28, 2016, 06:40 AM »
I hate to tell you this but no matter what store you go to there's someone who decides what items and brands they're going to sell.

so no store can special order a rod for you out of the blue? or a gun scope? if so ye of little faith. just cause they don't carry it don't mean they can't order it... like leupold scopes if they did not carry the z3's they could order you one.. some of the venders that sell threw places like natchezss and other places that carry the leupold z5 scopes etc... cause they are a distributer or leupold! see my point they can get things not carried by them were cabelas wont nor bass pro...  your not thinking.. just arguing...  end of arguing for me though... 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #115 on: Feb 28, 2016, 07:15 AM »
I'm not arguing, I'm pointing out the obvious.  Someone decides what product lines a store carries, they can't order something if their distributors don't carry it or the company won't sell the item directly to them.  F.Y.I. you're the one who responded to my comment by saying,

neither does bass pro or gander or cabelas. at that....this is ware a lot of guys are going for specialty shops for their hunting gear and shooting supplies but that's just personal thought... this is because cableas ,bass pro, and gander give big discounts cause they can use there volume discount..

Based on your ideas I think you should open up a store of your own, it'd be the best no doubt.

Offline Fishslime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Feb 28, 2016, 07:47 AM »
Never been quite happy with either to be honest. Low grade imported goods in my opinion. Sure they carry some nice things but personally I'd rather spend my money with the little guys.

off topic but building a deck - found  a 6"X16' deck board at a local business was $10(each) cheaper and better quality than Home Depot or Lowes - trying to save money by doing yourself-don't be fooled check around for better price and quality -Powerbait was $1 to $2 more at Dicks and Cabelas than a local shop(and he can order whatever is in his catalogs and have it in 3 or 4 days)
Fishing has screwed up what was left of my brain

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Feb 28, 2016, 11:24 AM »
off topic but building a deck - found  a 6"X16' deck board at a local business was $10(each) cheaper and better quality than Home Depot or Lowes - trying to save money by doing yourself-don't be fooled check around for better price and quality -Powerbait was $1 to $2 more at Dicks and Cabelas than a local shop(and he can order whatever is in his catalogs and have it in 3 or 4 days)

if you get to know the guy real well to there is more he can get you.. some times at dealer cost.. depending how the guy feel about you..   they can get there hands on more then what's in their catalog... like if they carry cortland line fly gear etc... they can get you hardy rods and reels , diamond back rods,  etc.. from other parts of the company owned by cortland line company....so if they carry Berkley I bet they can get you the new cutter 90+ and 110+   may not be in their catalog but they can get it... the problem I have with cabelas is they want to field test it and don't want to go out a on a limb and help you out...it is your loss you don't like it though at other shops if you order a rod that's to stiff etc etc...  it like going to a place that carries strike master there is five + brands / companies under their one company so keep that in mind if you see strike master stuff on their shelf's ask them if you see some thing on the strike master owned site that you want.. same with other lure brands so keep eyes out for that stuff... any how glad you use those mom and pop shops was just at one today looking at fly gear and spoons for fishing off the wall...bought $20 of spoons and talk fishing with a few guys in the shop...also showed a few pictures too off the phone...those are the best places in the world for fishing equipment don't be surprised if you meet a few friends too along the way...

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Feb 28, 2016, 12:37 PM »
in big store chains, there is a marketing researchdept who decides what gear the storeds in a given territory will carry, then there is the buyer who works with the distributors who try to get the best prices. the best prices determine what brands end up in the store. the store nor dept managers have no say what gods end up in the store. As for product availability, the stores have a budget for each dept for goods. once they reach that budget, nothing else is ordered. that is why the shelves go bare.

Offline Dr Huxtable

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Feb 28, 2016, 04:07 PM »

if you get to know the guy real well to there is more he can get you.. some times at dealer cost.. depending how the guy feel about you..   they can get there hands on more then what's in their catalog... like if they carry cortland line fly gear etc... they can get you hardy rods and reels , diamond back rods,  etc.. from other parts of the company owned by cortland line company....so if they carry Berkley I bet they can get you the new cutter 90+ and 110+   may not be in their catalog but they can get it... the problem I have with cabelas is they want to field test it and don't want to go out a on a limb and help you out...it is your loss you don't like it though at other shops if you order a rod that's to stiff etc etc...  it like going to a place that carries strike master there is five + brands / companies under their one company so keep that in mind if you see strike master stuff on their shelf's ask them if you see some thing on the strike master owned site that you want.. same with other lure brands so keep eyes out for that stuff... any how glad you use those mom and pop shops was just at one today looking at fly gear and spoons for fishing off the wall...bought $20 of spoons and talk fishing with a few guys in the shop...also showed a few pictures too off the phone...those are the best places in the world for fishing equipment don't be surprised if you meet a few friends too along the way...

You need to learn how to write.  Every post is a rambling mess of ellipses.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.