Author Topic: Aspen fuel  (Read 10871 times)

Offline King Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Aspen fuel
« on: Nov 26, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Just wondering if ppl use or what they think about this fuel .

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
Re: Aspen fuel
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2017, 11:54 AM »
Racing fuel for ice auger.

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2017, 12:35 PM »
Best thing to use for augers period. It takes years for it to degrade and cause carb issues that 99% of crappy running augers succumb to. Yeah its a little expensive but you also don't have the hassle of jerry cans/mixing oil so I think its a wash. Doesn't stink like regular gas/oil and the fumes take a lot longer to kill you in the shack...
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline silverfox1969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2017, 12:16 AM »
I use Aspen 2 fuel for my Jiffy STX 10in 2 stroke and Aspen 4 for my snow blower. With Aspen 2 there is no premixing ratio needed and with Aspen2/4 this fuel over time cleans out any carbon buildup in the engine and practically burns smokeless.

Offline OD0814

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2017, 07:40 AM »
Where can a guy buy Aspen fuel in Regina?  Sounds like something I should run through my old 2 stroke before it gets too gummed up.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2017, 08:08 AM »
I use Aspen fuel as well but I buy the non pre-mixed type and mix in amsoil sabre on my own. Use it in my leaf bower as well.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2017, 08:55 AM »
I went looking for Aspen at the Coop here and found they only had Trufuel.  Same idea, different brand.  I filled up my Eskimo and it ran incredibly well.  Before with the premixed it would not continue to idle.  It does now and runs like a top.  I'm sold!  Like Aspen it contains no ethanol and has stabilizers in it. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2017, 08:57 AM »
X2 on the aspen 4 stoke and amsoil Sabre

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2017, 11:38 AM »
I went looking for Aspen at the Coop here and found they only had Trufuel.  Same idea, different brand.  I filled up my Eskimo and it ran incredibly well.  Before with the premixed it would not continue to idle.  It does now and runs like a top.  I'm sold!  Like Aspen it contains no ethanol and has stabilizers in it.

Trufuel is decent but its no Aspen. It is essentially premium non ethanol gasoline with oil and stabilizers. Aspen is 99% Alkylate which is the purest and cleanest form of petroleum. A few other brands are using the pure alkylate base such as Stihl motomix and Husqvarna premix.
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2017, 12:00 PM »
Trufuel is decent but its no Aspen. It is essentially premium non ethanol gasoline with oil and stabilizers. Aspen is 99% Alkylate which is the purest and cleanest form of petroleum. A few other brands are using the pure alkylate base such as Stihl motomix and Husqvarna premix.

Didn’t know that. Thanks.  I stand corrected.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2017, 02:49 PM »
I've been using the same 4L jug of aspen fuel in my auger, chainsaw, and weed whacker for probably 4 years.  Still runs like a top.   They have it here in Saskatoon at the Coop on 8th for sure.

Offline Tech By Trade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2017, 03:07 PM »
Lambert used to carry it too, I still have my bottle from 4 years ago as well so I'm not sure if they still do.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2017, 09:42 PM »
I run Aspen4 mixed with AmsOil Saber 100:1 and SeaFoam.
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2017, 08:23 AM »
Use Aspen fuel if you want less small motor problems 2 and 4 stroke. Charles repair in Prince Albert stock all size containers.

Offline ben-lucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2017, 02:29 PM »
i run this in my whipper snipper and it is fine.  tried it in the ice auger and it wouldn't turn the blade.  might have to mess with it a bit but not worth playing with the auger.

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2017, 07:20 PM »
Anyone know who has the best price on it saskatoon recently?

Offline silverfox1969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Mini Tune has the best price that I found and they sell Aspen 2 in 1 litre bottles and also in a 5 litre jug same in the Aspen 4 they also come in 1 litre bottles and 5 litre jug

Offline Greenisthecolor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2017, 08:40 PM »
I started running aspen fuel last winter when I got tired of getting a work out starting my old jiffy 76 on pump gas.  With aspen fuel, it would start one or two pulls even on the coldest of days.  It is absolutely worth the price.  If you have a Moody's equipment near you, they also sell it.

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2017, 09:03 AM »
I just picked up a jug and it's mixed 50:1   my jiffy calls for 24:1    can I just use it like that or do I have to add some oil to the aspen fuel??

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:50 AM »
most 2 stroke motors I've ever dealt with are happy around 50:1.  If your auger is calling for 24:1, just through a small shot or Amsoil saber or pretty much any synthetic 2-stroke oil in.  If I'm out of saber or aspen fuel, I just use whatever snowmobile oil I have laying around.   Haven't had a problem in 10 years.

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2017, 01:31 PM »
I would follow the manufacture spec. On oil/ gas ratio.  Older motors needed more lube. Some newer motors call for 100-1.

Offline Tech By Trade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2017, 03:01 PM »
most 2 stroke motors I've ever dealt with are happy around 50:1.  If your auger is calling for 24:1, just through a small shot or Amsoil saber or pretty much any synthetic 2-stroke oil in.  If I'm out of saber or aspen fuel, I just use whatever snowmobile oil I have laying around.   Haven't had a problem in 10 years.
I'm actually surprised you received a response to this question as quickly as you did, though the one you received is probably the safest that could be given.

Offline jhepting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2017, 08:07 PM »
I know a few people who used it and i gave it a try.  In my old jiffy it ran horrible and only got about 25 holes out of it.  switched back to reg mixed and it purred like a kitten. 

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2017, 08:42 PM »
I had not heard of this stuff, but if you are on a budget or cant find this stuff, my magic mix for my 43cc Viper auger is:
5 liters Shell V-power, run the first $5 into your vehicle before filling the jerry can to get the ethanol out of the hose. 1 pouch of Opti 2, pre-measured for mixing with 5 liters. 3 Tablespoons of Seafoam, and a tablespoon of gas line antifreeze. Minimal smoke, runs smooth, and keeps the carb clean.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2017, 10:49 AM »
I just picked up a jug and it's mixed 50:1   my jiffy calls for 24:1    can I just use it like that or do I have to add some oil to the aspen fuel??
Your old jiffy will be fine at 50 to 1. My old model 70 2hp ran so much better when I used shell premium and amsoil saber at 80-1 with a bit of seafoam. It took about half a tank of this mix to clean out the old gunk in the carb from running the original 24:1 mix. The motor ran better started better and is still chugging away. I gave it to my nephew a few years ago when I purchased a new auger because I wanted to make 10 inch holes. The new auger gets the same mix and runs perfectly. I would like to try the Aspen fuel but I would get the unmixed and add my Amsoil and seafoam because it works so well.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2017, 07:44 PM »
Your old jiffy will be fine at 50 to 1. My old model 70 2hp ran so much better when I used shell premium and amsoil saber at 80-1 with a bit of seafoam. It took about half a tank of this mix to clean out the old gunk in the carb from running the original 24:1 mix. The motor ran better started better and is still chugging away. I gave it to my nephew a few years ago when I purchased a new auger because I wanted to make 10 inch holes. The new auger gets the same mix and runs perfectly. I would like to try the Aspen fuel but I would get the unmixed and add my Amsoil and seafoam because it works so well.
[/q
Exactly what I run in all of my small engines

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2017, 11:19 PM »
I recently switched over to this fuel and man what a difference in my auger. I also replaced the plug while I was at it. My Tanaka engine runs so smooth on this fuel. I would assume TruFuel would produce similar results. I used to run premium w/ Amsoil mixed 100:1.

It is a bit more expensive as many others have stated, but think of how much it costs now just getting out there, another buck or two for a tank isn’t going to break the bank.

Good luck to everyone this season.

shawno

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2017, 11:56 PM »
I recently switched over to this fuel and man what a difference in my auger. I also replaced the plug while I was at it. My Tanaka engine runs so smooth on this fuel. I would assume TruFuel would produce similar results. I used to run premium w/ Amsoil mixed 100:1.

It is a bit more expensive as many others have stated, but think of how much it costs now just getting out there, another buck or two for a tank isn’t going to break the bank.

Good luck to everyone this season.

Shawn

I broke in both my Tanaka powerheads with Aspen 4/AmsOil Saber 100:1/SeaFoam.  Starts no problem in cold weather and runs like a dream! :)
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Hammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2017, 07:11 PM »
Picked up a jug of aspen from speedy tune in Regina today.  I have heard good things about it.  I can't wait to try it out on the old jiffy hopefully this weekend.

Offline Ry-Guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2017, 03:41 PM »
I ran a jug of Aspen through my auger, weed wacker and chainsaw. They all ran poorly on it. Went back to making my own.

Shell mid grade gas, Amsoil 100:1 and stabilize right in the Jerry can during initial 2 stroke mixing. Everything I have with a 2 stroke engine is much happier again.

Aspen is handy no doubt, but in my opinion...no good

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.