The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Overnight parking at Silver lake or Georgetown  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Overnight parking at Silver lake or Georgetown
« on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:25 AM »
I was wondering if anyone could offer me some information. A few hick ups in my Fort Peck trip has lead me to planning on hitting Silver Lake and Georgetown this coming weekend. Planning a two day trip, I am looking into where I can keep the car overnight. I will either be in my tent or the car (yes, I know its cold at night in the winter, I've winter camped my fair share) and having only been to Georgetown twice, both in the day time, I do not know if the camp areas will be plowed or even open for use. If anyone has any input or suggestions on where I can do spend the night, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Overnight parking at Silver lake or Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:59 AM »
You could camp in the parking area at the boat ramp in the campground on the south side of Philipsburg Bay.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:38 AM »
You could camp in the parking area at the boat ramp in the campground on the south side of Philipsburg Bay.

Thanks!
I figured I would just give a call to FWP and see if the parking areas would be allowed for camping during the winter. I am looking to get lots of fishing in, not looking to get rowdy or anything.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:40 PM »
Thanks!
I figured I would just give a call to FWP and see if the parking areas would be allowed for camping during the winter. I am looking to get lots of fishing in, not looking to get rowdy or anything.
Check if the outhouse is open.  If it is, bring your own toilet paper in case it has run out.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2019, 04:10 AM »
I was wondering if anyone could offer me some information. A few hick ups in my Fort Peck trip has lead me to planning on hitting Silver Lake and Georgetown this coming weekend. Planning a two day trip, I am looking into where I can keep the car overnight. I will either be in my tent or the car (yes, I know its cold at night in the winter, I've winter camped my fair share) and having only been to Georgetown twice, both in the day time, I do not know if the camp areas will be plowed or even open for use. If anyone has any input or suggestions on where I can do spend the night, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The campgrounds will not be open for use as the gates are closed at the entrances for the winter.....That being said, I don't see why one couldn't hoof it a few yards into one & pitch a tent.....If your gonna stay in the vehicle by the campground entrance parking areas (which should be plowed), I wouldn't expect that to be a problem as long as your parked out of the way.....Fairly certain the forest service runs all those campgrounds, so you may want to call the Philipsburg Ranger Station @ 406-859-3211 for more info or a little clarification anyway.....Good luck to ya & have a safe trip !!

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:06 AM »
The campgrounds will not be open for use as the gates are closed at the entrances for the winter.....That being said, I don't see why one couldn't hoof it a few yards into one & pitch a tent.....If your gonna stay in the vehicle by the campground entrance parking areas (which should be plowed), I wouldn't expect that to be a problem as long as your parked out of the way.....Fairly certain the forest service runs all those campgrounds, so you may want to call the Philipsburg Ranger Station @ 406-859-3211 for more info or a little clarification anyway.....Good luck to ya & have a safe trip !!

Thank you Spitzo!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.