Author Topic: Wolf Lake Area??  (Read 2841 times)

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
Wolf Lake Area??
« on: Jan 06, 2008, 01:06 PM »
 Thinking about heading out to Gilbert lake or somewhere in the morning. Do you think I will need my auger or boat or just buy a case of beer and wait for the next arctic plunge??    Thanks     Jim
Jim

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wolf Lake Area??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2008, 02:34 PM »
Don't know where it is but its suppose to be 65 tomorrow they say-Boat I'm sure.LOL :laugh:
Tom

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2008, 03:29 PM »
Just be careful.  With a couple days of warm weather the ice won't lose alot of thickness, but it will honeycomb fast, it may be thick but it can get brittle. 

My last time out last year was after a couple days of 60+ temps, which I was out fishing on those days.  The ice was still 8-10 inches, but I went through twice within a minute.  The shrinkage factor surely went into effect, luckily only waist deep as I purposely was walking across the shallow area.  I believe 4 people went through that day on that particular lake.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2008, 05:27 PM »
Just be careful.  With a couple days of warm weather the ice won't lose alot of thickness, but it will honeycomb fast, it may be thick but it can get brittle. 

I was out today where there was 3 inches of white ice on top of 5 inches of black ice when we got there.  When we left 5 hours later, there was about 1.5" of white ice left on top of the 5 inches of black ice.  With the wind and inch of water already on the ice from the snow melt, it is cutting the snow ice off pretty quick.  It won't be long before the snow ice is gone and it begins working on the good ice.  The only thing that may save this area is the there are so many open fishing holes, the water may have a place to go without honeycombing all the ice.  It was flowing into the holes I was fishing from 3 directions.  Two more days warmer than today with added rain and stronger winds like they are calling for, does not bode well for the ice remaining safe.  If it does honeycomb, I would prefer it just all go off and then come back if/when it gets cold again.  Once honeycombed, cold weather does not 'fix' it and make it good ice again.  I would rather have 4 inches of black ice than 12 inches that was honeycombed and then refroze.  When your auger is cutting ice CUBES instead of ice SHAVINGS or CHIPS, the ice is bad and one wrong step and you may be swimming.

Everyone stay safe out there.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2008, 05:34 PM »
If I had to make an educated guess a boat would have to be pulled out on the ice but the ice is getting risky to walk on. Kind of an in between scenario.

The mild wind is cutting the surface thickness really fast today on my ponds. (I'm only about 10 miles from Wolf Lake). I had floating jugs on my fish cages that got froze in and bascially disappeared after the last big snow caused water to come up, hyrate the snow, and refreeze. Now the jugs  are reappearing. Looks like at least two inches of surface ice has melted away in the last two days.

Don't forget ice can melt from the bottom up when temps are this far above freezing, as it's just too tough for the surface ice to keep a freezing microclimate going.  I used a temp probe/D.O meter on my ponds a few years ago and I was amazed at how warm temps are (relatively speaking) close to the bottom of the ice even on frigid days. It was 35 F. just foot and a half below the ice!  :o
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Hi Gang!
  While out tournamenting I saw a few gus running an argo around.  That seems the safest way to travel on ice when its bad.  If they go thru they float. With their tracks they can pull back on the ice.  Or they can keep breaking it until they reach shore.  So if you own an argo you could go ice fishing.  How cool is that.
  Da-Roc

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:44 PM »
Wish I had me some money, I would park it next to my quad.

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2008, 09:40 PM »
 Thanx for all the response!!!    I know you guys are all Ice Troopers but Im just gonna play it safe and wait for colder weather. I just dont feel like laying in a casket for a 3 inch Bluegill right now.  ICE FISHING RULEZ!!!!   Be careful and mybe just watch some football till we get good ice.   Take care and thank you for the info.....JIM
Jim

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2008, 10:40 PM »
Hi Gang!
  While out tournamenting I saw a few gus running an argo around.  That seems the safest way to travel on ice when its bad.  If they go thru they float. With their tracks they can pull back on the ice.  Or they can keep breaking it until they reach shore.  So if you own an argo you could go ice fishing.  How cool is that.
  Da-Roc

How about an airboat? I see they use them on Lake Simcoe in late winter when going out after late ice perch.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:20 AM »
I seen pictures of Lake Erie last year where they used the airboat and did a guide service from it I believe,neat stuff.It was a hugh boat.
Tom

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2008, 12:16 PM »
Hi Gang!
  I have never seen one live it does sount interesting.  I wonder how loud they are.  Its hard to sneak up on fish with a 747.
LOL
  Da-Roc
  P.S. Where do you park at wolf lake now.  I used to park at the beach and walk out.  Now that I have a snomobile I wonder if I can still legally do that.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2008, 12:24 PM »
Hey Rocky , the Wolf lake these guys are talking about is on the other side of the state from us, just look at their home addresses below the name.
And NO , on snowmobiles allowed on our Wolf Lake in Hammond.

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2008, 04:02 PM »
 Yes your right Turkeyhunter... I used to live in South Holland and now in Fort Wayne. There is a Wolf Lake out here in the boonies near Churubusco. Its small but not like the Wolf lake in Hammond. Never fished the one out here but I sure do miss the one out by you guys. Im not sure about snowmobiling on either of them.
Jim

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2008, 10:48 AM »
Hey they made a protected wetlands for most of the shoreline on the east side going into the amazo channel. Once you take that park - lake road it follows the channel all the way down (north) . You  can park anywhere there and fish. Throw your poles out and stay warm in your vehicle with the hearer on while your poles are only 10 feet from you. Pretty easy way to fish. I have been told that if you are a nitetime walleye fisherman you should try by the water inlet with surface lures. You just may be surprised.

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2008, 12:42 PM »
Your Exactly Right!!!    I did get a 3 lb. walleye once by that inlet at night. It was caught on a willowleaf chartruese spinnerbait. Man I sure do miss that stinky ol factory..
Jim

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2008, 01:23 PM »
Just wait until summertime it will be smelling goooood than.

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2008, 01:30 PM »
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!!    Molding Corn!!
Jim

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2008, 01:45 PM »
Way Back when I caught a cigar size walleye on the east side of the channel at the end. I put it in a basket so I can take a pic of it, I was going to release this fish anyways but behind me in that parking lot,must of been security guards, came on a speaker from somewhere and told me to throw it back.I ran down the trail along the fence and got my camera from the truck and got a pic of the fish and let it swim back in the water. Then I heard a bunch of applauses and whistles from that speaker wherever it was. It was in that parking lot somewhere....PS If your on a boat in the spring go by the trees on the maizo factory side on the end of the channel you will find alot of lures in the trees that people casted from the bridge but couldnt retrieve. Happy Pickins!!!!  Cmon Ice
Jim

Offline RandyD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2008, 06:17 PM »

And NO , on snowmobiles allowed on our Wolf Lake in Hammond.
Hey Turkeyhunter10ga they might not be allowed but there out there!!!!!
Can't catch'em unless your out trying

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.