Author Topic: thorne bros fishing rods  (Read 2488 times)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
thorne bros fishing rods
« on: Dec 15, 2007, 04:44 PM »
Does anyone fish with these solid graphite rods. Bought myself one for Christmas gift early, and cant wait to try it out. A bit salty, but I spare no expense when it comes to buying the best. I used to always buy st. croix and g-loomis with their lifetime guarantee. I hope that I found even a better one. What do all you fishermen think? They have a web-site: www.thornebros.com. Check it out.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: thorne bros fishing rods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2007, 04:48 PM »
TB has a reputation for building the best ice rods on the market. They were the company Dave Genz used to start making his rods back in the day. I am going to have one custom built by them, just haven't done so yet.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2007, 05:06 PM »
I have several.  You don't always have to order what they have on the website.  They can make just about anything you want w/ small or big eyes, custom handles like the hidden hood handle can be put on any of them (I don't like using tape on a $75 rod), name, colors, etc.....  I call in my orders.  Josh Roundsly is who I deal with most of the time.  They are always great to deal with, & I wish I never spent a dime on any other ice rods.  Make sure you put a nice Tica reel on it too!  Tica's are the only thing from China I will willingly spend my money on!

#1 ice fisssher in IN

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:51 AM »
 :) :) :)I have the rod with the removable spring bobber. I would not use any other rod Thorne Brother makes the best ice rod period.  This rod with out the spring bobber will let feel the lighted bites just like your loomis rods do in opened water.  Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:54 AM »
Depending where you are located there is a guy who builds great rods off of 9 by
Merrium just down from Columbia City and Chain O Lakes. He builds great rods and is local. There have been many Ice shanty members that have bought his rods. I now
own three myself and love them. I heard Thorne Brothers are good rods. I actually
went to there store while visiting my brother in Minnesota. They have a nice store
but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much when I know  a local who has excellent rods. This is just my opinion.
Greg
Gaff Rods or Gaffite
Brett Gaff Owner
Fish on!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2008, 11:03 AM »
anyone else check out their website? what do you think?

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2008, 12:50 PM »
abishop,  I have the 28" perch sweetheart and the 28" panfish sweetheart plus.  I was able to use them quite a bit during this last ice we had....I love em!  The tip section is very sensitive and firm for a good quick hookset.  These rods load up nice when you have a fish on and the are very capable of handling larger fish too.
     I have a Gaff rod that I fished with all of last year that I like quite well but this year I find myself retying on the panfish sweetheart because I'd rather use it instead.  I also like the spring bobber better on the Thorne Bros rod.  The Gaff rod still gets used during the right application. 
     If I were to buy another rod I would buy a Thorne Bros rod again.  The only thing I would do differently is  try the larger line guides.  I fish outside of my Fish Trap Pro a lot and the small line guides do freeze up when it's cold out.  I would also "custom order" my next one with the colors I want.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2008, 02:29 PM »
Same here. My next rod will be with a cork handle that I screw the reel onto and NO TAPE. I to like the larger guides. I will order one 4 next season because right now their stock is pretty much wiped out. I do like the spring bobber. Havent had much cold weather yet but I do have a supershak to get into when it gets cold enough. I think that will be the next time out.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2008, 02:38 PM »
I don't have any, but have heard from some guys that their 36" deadstick is a top choice for walleye fishing.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2008, 02:57 PM »
Hi Gang!
  I use Rods made by a local guy.  Carl Chubb @ Slick stick rods.  They are the best rods I found yet.  I have had some for 4 years now and they look new.  My equiment takes a beating really.  I am amazed I haven't shattered these Graphite rods.   I like throne bros sweet pea rod the shortest one.  I used one and they are wonderful.  I espically like there spring bobber.   St croix are nice but are hard to hook set with in the ultra lite 24" you have to really yank the hook set.    The best rod to use is always the one you catch the fish with.  If you see me on the ice just stop by and Ill let ya check my ice fishing equipment out.   I'll be on the Bright Bright green arctic cat with the pirate flag hangin off it.   I really like meeting new icefisherman. I always learn something new.
  Stop by and say hi!
  Da-Roc
  Rocky Martin
  Morgan TWP
 Porter County Indiana

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:09 PM »
Daroc,
           Carl does make some nice Ice and open water rods,Just a little mistake tho,his last name is Chupp,and not Chubb.Business hasnt been to good for em,hes usually at a couple shows I give seminars at and havent seen em since last year.Im sure if you're wanting a rod that he would put one together for ya,heres some info on Carl Chupp.

His Website is www.slickstickrods.com,his Number is (574)-642-4913,hes from Goshen,Indiana.As for the Thorne Bros.rods I own one and am happy with it,I pulled 6lb Rainbows with it this year while out in Colorado.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2008, 09:14 PM »
Same here. My next rod will be with a cork handle that I screw the reel onto and NO TAPE. I to like the larger guides. I will order one 4 next season because right now their stock is pretty much wiped out. I do like the spring bobber. Havent had much cold weather yet but I do have a supershak to get into when it gets cold enough. I think that will be the next time out.
bishop, you would be surprised to see how fast they can turn around a new rod.  Just call up there, tell them what you want.  Last year I got one made just for me & had it @ the house in about 2 weeks.  Just call!

763-572-3782

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/index_winter.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.