The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Looking for some basic info on St. Catherine  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Mascoma

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking for some basic info on St. Catherine
« on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:30 PM »
Hello Vermonters,

I'm looking to go to St. Catherine or somewhere in that area (about half way between drive for us) next weekend, getting my father to meet my son and I for a 3 generations ice fishing day. First time with us all together on hardwater. Saturday being free fishing day I thought it was time to do this. We are walkers with jet sleds pop ups, no electronics.

My son and I are avid ice fisherman so I understand the basics...I do not know the south western region of VT at all.

Few questions.

1. Access - is State Park still plowed and a option for parking?
2. Ice Conditions down that way?
3. Bait - I can get bait in Hartland VT on my way across or is there a better option closer to St. CATHERINE.
4. St Catherine or do you recommend other water bodies? Species not as important Trout or Lakers preferred.

Not looking for spots at all,  just general info to above questions if possible?

Post here or PM appreciated.

Thanks

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking for some basic info on St. Catherine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2019, 02:22 PM »

1. Access - is State Park still plowed and a option for parking?
***Yes, the state park is plowed and is a great access point. 

2. Ice Conditions down that way?
***We saw between 6-8" of ice in the spots we've been on, but there are a couple thin spots.  From the stat park beach, turning south there was an area that took a really long time to freeze up this year for some reason.  I'd guess its safe now, but don't take my word for it - test it as you go, especially with the snow.  If you turn right off the beach, there is a brook that flows in and can create some thin conditions there too.

3. Bait - I can get bait in Hartland VT on my way across or is there a better option closer to St. CATHERINE.
***You can get bait at Otto's Cones Point store, about a mile from the state park.  Nice store, good bait, open around 6am, or earlier on derby days.  The other option is the Marina a couple miles away.  Do not drive there for bait unless you call first or facebook message first.  However, I believe the water they use for the bait is lake water, and the bait has been fantastic.

4. St Catherine or do you recommend other water bodies? Species not as important Trout or Lakers preferred.
***If you're looking for lakers, St. C shouldn't be your first choice. 

Offline Mascoma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2019, 02:51 PM »
Thanks Pete, for your help!

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:03 AM »
Thanks Pete, for your help!

You're welcome.  The guys on this board have always been top shelf helpful to me, so pass it on down the line.

Shoot me a pm if you need more info. 

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:19 AM »
St. Catherine is a great spot for Browns.  Go off cones point right near Otto's store and you can find some good browns.  Also near cold springs which is right next to Otto's as well.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2019, 11:46 AM »
peter, why do you say its not a good choice...it used to be.
I am haunted by waters...

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2019, 12:03 PM »

For Lakers?  I dint think there were any in there
Fish on

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2019, 12:30 PM »

Agreed, it used to me.  When the alewives came in, the smelt population was almost wiped out - Its my impression that knocked the laker population way back.  There are still some in there..I think someone caught one on derby day last year...but I rarely ever hear of anyone catching one in there.  I don't target them though, so I can't say its good or bad first hand.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2019, 02:41 PM »
in the fall at wells bridge we used to see hundreds milling around, probably about to spawn. it was a great sight ! sad to see that is gone now .some were huge !
I am haunted by waters...

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:34 AM »
in the fall at wells bridge we used to see hundreds milling around, probably about to spawn. it was a great sight ! sad to see that is gone now .some were huge !

My father says the same thing.  They used to stand on the bridge for a long time, trying to pick out the biggest one, and he said there was always one bigger. 

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:48 PM »
There are still a few in there, somebody gets one or two every year, the reason the population went down is because Irene destroyed the hatchery that raised for st catherine

Offline Ram802

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Heard rumor that a laker class was added to this year's frosty derby. Can anybody confirm?

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:34 PM »
There are still a few in there, somebody gets one or two every year, the reason the population went down is because Irene destroyed the hatchery that raised for st catherine

I believe that St. Cat hasn't been stocked with lakers for nearly 20 years, about the time that alewives were discovered and the lake was switched to being stocked with browns. Lakers have been known to live longer than 20 years though.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:43 AM »
Heard rumor that a laker class was added to this year's frosty derby. Can anybody confirm?

Confirmed, yes, there IS a laker class this year. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.