Author Topic: Octopus hook  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
Octopus hook
« on: Jan 20, 2019, 12:33 PM »
Wasn't planning to start a new post on this but i couldn't find the recent OP to comment on. Someone had mentioned they were considering trying octopus hooks and were asking people how they like them. Ive used em sporattically distributed among a couple of my poles and traps the last few years but noticed the difference this year when i started using them regularly. (the standard black ones and the purple ones) . I'm losing way less fish and my flag to fish ratio has gone up considerably. The octopus hooks have been doing a good job keeping a fish on a trap even on days when im busy tending to something and I don't notice the flag right away. I would recommend to anyone who wants to try them. Most of the bass I've caught this year have been on octopus hooks and any other traps from last year that had Eagle Claw hooks on them or whatever else (which seemed to be on the traps that were giving me false flags or I was losing fish on) have been tossed aside for the octopus hooks.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Octopus hook
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2019, 12:48 PM »
I use them, people just need to make sure they know the difference between Octo and Octo circle. Both can be great but take different styles and situations
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2019, 01:12 PM »
I use Tru Turns for Bass and find for bass they work excellent.  I should go back and keep a record of Octupus versus them again.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2019, 01:59 PM »
IMO, hard to find a better hook for soaking bait.  I've used red gamakatsu octopus on my tip ups for years. 

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2019, 03:08 PM »
I've been using gamakatsu octopus style hooks in both fresh and saltbwater...my tip up.ps are setup with gamakatsu micro gap octopus style hook, the little wider throat allows for better hook ups with live shiners.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2019, 03:09 PM »
Same
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2019, 03:15 PM »
I use owner super needle point..great live bait hook
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline 459475

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:10 PM »
I've  been using the red gamakatsu octopus for a couple seasons.  Seem to be working just fine. 

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:14 PM »
I've been using circle hooks on my traps for years.

Offset hooks tend to produce more hookups, but most of those tend to be gut hooks, so C&R is usually not an option.

The key in using circle hooks is to use a hook that is best suited for the size bait you are using, as a hook that is too big can cause the bait to swim less and appear inactive/dead. Using a hook that is too small will result in missed hooksets because the bait can interfere with the hookset.

Hope this makes sense.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:25 PM »
I use them hard/soft water size 6 & 8 for crappies/walleye, bobber/dead stick.  Red, they’ve been good for me

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:49 PM »
"I've been using gamakatsu octopus style hooks in both fresh and saltwater" for many years.
All my trolling spoons also have Gama siwash singles on them.
I haven't found a sharper hook!

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:16 PM »
I've been using circle hooks on my traps for years.

Offset hooks tend to produce more hookups, but most of those tend to be gut hooks, so C&R is usually not an option.

The key in using circle hooks is to use a hook that is best suited for the size bait you are using, as a hook that is too big can cause the bait to swim less and appear inactive/dead. Using a hook that is too small will result in missed hooksets because the bait can interfere with the hookset.

Hope this makes sense.

It does make sense...I have different size circle hooks on my traps for different bait. Totally agree with you

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:34 PM »
Yup, definitely gamakatsu octo hooks for me. Size 6 on my bass lines. Size 8 and 10s on trout lines, depending on style of fishing that day.
Sharpest hooks I've used, like CD said.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.