The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How was trout opener for everyone?  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Perchpounder94

• IceShanty Rookie
How was trout opener for everyone?
« on: Jan 19, 2019, 03:31 PM »
Was not able to get out, even though my shack was waiting for me. Wondering how folks did this morning despite the low barometer readings...
"Leave your problems at the bottom of the lake" ~a wise father

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How was trout opener for everyone?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Fished Seymour and it was SLOW !

Offline Jigern

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2019, 05:05 PM »
Hit 3 different lakes, did terrible. All day.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2019, 05:21 PM »
Was not able to get out, even though my shack was waiting for me. Wondering how folks did this morning despite the low barometer readings...

First time on Dunmore ever today with 3 friends. Drilled a few holes and settled on 65 feet of water, to target lakers. No lakers marking for hours, but there were a few smelt on bottom. Eventually, boredom got the best of us, so we started targeting the smelt, with decent success. We were about to pack up and try a new spot, but the cold, and slowly increasing numbers of smelt kept us there. As we pulled in smelt after smelt, they only seemed to grow thicker on the finder... Eventually larger fish started darting in occasionally to feed on the smelt! Early afternoon, my friend was pulling up yet another smelt when out of no where, something large grabbed it! After 5 minutes of fighting, she landed a 26" beefy laker! Not too bad for a hali jig!

My other friend got a small, maybe 10" stockie salmon, again on a hali, jigging smelt, shortly thereafter.

The smelt bite stayed hot all afternoon, so we kept at it. Mid-afternoon, koissu joined us, from another part of the lake, and once again, my first friend landed a very respectable 28" laker, this time on a gold kastmaster tipped with a half crawler. Shortly after that, the snow kicked up, so we left the ice with two lakers, and about 200 small smelt. A great time with friends out there, despite the cold and snow!

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Also hit Dunmore, around 7am. Drilled a hole and saw a lot of marks that ended up being smelt and small perch. Over the course of a few hours,  I had one laker chase and maybe a few others (not sure, but chased like a laker). Moved late morning and fished the rest of the day with thefishingweatherman.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2019, 06:37 PM »
Crayfish2 and I fished Caspian and it too was SLOW going. Landed 4 lakers, 2 a piece, the biggest being 18.5 inches. Caught both of my fish jigging. Had a lot of lookers throughout the day, but getting them to bite was the trick. Very rewarding to actually hook into one. Definitely got the heart racing! Overall, my feet didn't freeze, my hands stayed relatively warm, caught some trout, and I was on hardwater from dawn to dusk. Doesn't get much better than that!  :tipup:  ;D
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2019, 06:56 PM »

Got a few today

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2019, 07:17 PM »

Got a few today

Nice bows! Congratulations! How big were they?

Offline IPflagkickr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2019, 07:47 PM »
Sweet rainbows! Only one walleye for us

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:04 PM »
Nice bows! Congratulations! How big were they?

Largest was 19”

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Fished dark to dark yesterday on St Catherine with only a few pike on the ice.  Fished until noon today and only had one flag, no fish.  Very slow.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2019, 12:12 PM »
How the ice on st catherine??
Fished it for the first time last year with little luck other than panfish. Def wanna go back tho

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2019, 02:07 PM »
How the ice on st catherine??
Fished it for the first time last year with little luck other than panfish. Def wanna go back tho

A little inconsistant but building fast.  We were on 8" of grey ice close to shore and 6" of very high quality dark ice out farther.
Trying to figure out if this shanty out in the middle sunk or if its a collapsable they left out there.

Offline Neksportsman850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2019, 04:14 PM »
 Lots of action this weekend. 7 total lakers. Today as to our surprise we had the most action! Fishing would be slow for 5 minutes then we would get covered in smelt. 20’ of smelt cloud! Jig above them for a bit then a laker would come zooming up. Great day on the ice except for the snow. It’s not going to help willoughby. All the weight was already pushing water on top of the ice. Gunna be a mess out there.

Offline Pikenasty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:19 PM »
Fished north end of Wiloughby. We got one jigging and two on tip ups. Super slow on smelt .

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:52 AM »
I landed a nice brown and several perch and just alright pike.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:24 AM »
Fished Willy Sat, decent day, 6 lakers and a salmon for a party of 7. Best laker was 5 pounds.
Sunday was a mess, tough bite, heavy snow, slush, ughh on Seymour

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:55 AM »
A little inconsistant but building fast.  We were on 8" of grey ice close to shore and 6" of very high quality dark ice out farther.
Trying to figure out if this shanty out in the middle sunk or if its a collapsable they left out there.

Was this pic from Willy?
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline jmaster69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:11 AM »
no that was our shanty. we spent the night out and dug her out monday morning :) Great times

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:12 PM »
Was this pic from Willy?

No, St. Catherine

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:13 PM »
no that was our shanty. we spent the night out and dug her out monday morning :) Great times

Does the shanty fold down?  I was only probably 200-300yrds away and it looked like it was only sticking out of the snow by about 2ft

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.