Author Topic: Best Tip-Up Opinions (Commerically Sold)  (Read 3428 times)

Offline djboston

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Tip-Up Opinions (Commerically Sold)
« on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Let me pose a question. What would say is the best Tips for the Average Ice Fisher, and for the money. What are the Pro and Cons. I have owned a few different kinds and I cant say I have found the one that beats all. Now I am talking about customed order, high priced Tip Ups.

I read the reviews on Tips and each review cancel each other out. You never know if those 5 star reviews are from Real users or not. I like the idea of the Thermal ones but to me the flags are just TOO small. I dislike very much the Maine Trap Brand. I have had such issues with bait being stolen and the flag never being tripped. I think the mech it too hard to trip the flag. Any who I am heading out tomorrow and i need to get a couple new Tip-ups today, so deciding if I am going to Cabelas or Bass Pro.

Thanks

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best Tip-Up Opinions (Commerically Sold)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Any trap, operated properly, will catch fish. Any of them. I think Heritage brand is very effective, and a good choice for anyone. If you are familiar with how to operate them. It’s not rocket science. So will a polar. For pride of ownership and top tier craftsmanship/form on top of function, buy some Jacks. If they are not cost-prohibitive.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2019, 05:42 PM »
Make sure your spools are very full, if hit and spits are a recurring problem.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:03 PM »
I like 40 ups personally smoothest trip in the game and big spools. They don’t have the jump of heritage
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:07 PM »
I like 40 ups personally smoothest trip in the game and big spools. They don’t have the jump of heritage

Totally agree...my 40ups are as old as dirt, still very smooth...I bought some heritages about 10 yrs ago thinking I’d retire my 40’s.  They sit In a bucket collecting dust
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Mascoma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:11 PM »
1st place - Butler traps from Maine, I like his full box design (makes 3 styles) and they are made to your specs wood, stain, ss reels, felt flags, color etc etc..the guy Oliver Butler makes absolutely beautiful and well built traps, made to last a lifetime....Jack Traps also from Maine is a close 2nd.....Both brands customized are 60 bucks or so. Worth every penny. IMO

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:23 PM »
Poolguy, I will buy those old dusty traps from you....

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:24 PM »
Poolguy, I will buy those old dusty traps from you....

I would but my oldest wants them.  Thanks for the offer
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline t.dan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:56 PM »
I’ve used a handful of traps, from fancy Maine made ones to heritage. the best ones I’ve found to be are Indian hills which unfortunately, are no longer being made.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:58 PM »
But you don’t like jacks? Or you havent fished one. 4” spools
Ate very different than the three

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:28 PM »
Low budget, 40 ups.. alot of quality and dependability for the money... IMHO best tip up money can buy is a Jack Trap.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Heritage Lakers with the trigger mechanism filed down

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:03 PM »
HT Enterprises Inc Hook Set Tip Up 500 FOOT HS-500

url=https://postimg.cc/QHsByKnD][/url]

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:08 PM »
40 ups - Absolutely. couldn't agree more! Ive bought many other brands that just sit in the basement basically brand new.
I do miss the old school solid reels they used to make them with though. Most of mine are still this era. I bought a couple new ones couple years ago, cheapo thin aluminum. I just switch out the reels, same nice light trip mechanism and spring though.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:51 PM »
I've got heritages and like them alot very seldom have stolen bait. But I wind up using my jaw jackers most of the time personally I love fighting a fish on a jig pole rather than hand lining. That's just me though.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2019, 06:05 AM »
I've got heritages and like them alot very seldom have stolen bait. But I wind up using my jaw jackers most of the time personally I love fighting a fish on a jig pole rather than hand lining. That's just me though.

X2
I always have my heritage traps with me in case weather conditions are so nasty that my jj isn’t really useable. Ive lessened the “jump” on the heritage by moving the position of the spring. I like theCrittac’s idea of filing that little tab down.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2019, 06:17 AM »
HT Polar started using them 40 years ago.  Perform well, pack and travel well, had few run over by sleds.  Jaw Jackers are what I use now.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2019, 06:33 AM »
But you don’t like jacks? Or you havent fished one. 4” spools
Ate very different than the three

Jacks are fine, prob what I’d buy if I ever bought more, if I couldn’t find 40’s that is. I just haven’t seen them for sale in years. Haven’t really looked just don’t see them on shelves I useto. No matter, my trap days are over for the most part. They’d specifically haveto be the cross style with jacks though I hate the ones that just fold up rectangular so also maybe not a option lol. Turn the spring, file the hook to flat on the tab that holds the flag I do it all on my heritage. They still jump to much for my liking. The 40’s don’t move nor do Jacks. I mean yea jam em in snow sure but glare ice etc those things move way to much.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2019, 07:34 AM »

Jacks are fine, prob what I’d buy if I ever bought more, if I couldn’t find 40’s that is. I just haven’t seen them for sale in years. Haven’t really looked just don’t see them on shelves I useto. No matter, my trap days are over for the most part. They’d specifically haveto be the cross style with jacks though I hate the ones that just fold up rectangular so also maybe not a option lol. Turn the spring, file the hook to flat on the tab that holds the flag I do it all on my heritage. They still jump to much for my liking. The 40’s don’t move nor do Jacks. I mean yea jam em in snow sure but glare ice etc those things move way to much.
Speaking of cross traps i noticed my new jacks being crosses are not equal length crosses like on my 40 ups they are like an equal plus signs.
What is the reason the jax are more like an actual cross and not a plus sign.? Is it more stable? Thanks
Salmonemia

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2019, 07:42 AM »
Hmmm that I don’t know Wayne, I’ve only ever used the jacks that are the fold up style with the without the cross and I didn’t like them, they blow over on glare ice during gusts and seem to move a lot. Anyway my point is I haven’t seen the cross style in person so I can’t say. Could just be for packing up purposes? Or just the way the thickness of those feet align? I’d haveto see one

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2019, 07:55 AM »
HT Original Polars.

Inexpensive and virtually indestructible. Fit in a bucket well. Flags don’t easily trip in my experience. Haven’t really used any other type to be honest. I don’t tip-up fish often so I only have 3 and one has a broken spool (my fault). One day I’ll spend the $3 and fix it.

Another thing about the Polars, they can come in very bright colors. It’s much easier to see blaze orange, lime green, and hot pink in the snow than black or wood grain.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:11 AM »

These are my fav when fishing close to them.... When putti g them over 75 yards away the flag begins to be hard to see if tripped
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:31 AM »
I use the Polar HTs -- the thing I like best, is with the so-called 'T' on top that spins when the line is going out, I can tell what the fish is doing long before I even get to the hole...!  Reasonably priced -- +/- $14 or so -- and they hold up well...!

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:33 AM »
Speaking of cross traps i noticed my new jacks being crosses are not equal length crosses like on my 40 ups they are like an equal plus signs.
What is the reason the jax are more like an actual cross and not a plus sign.? Is it more stable? Thanks

My theory is that it enables the flag to be higher without increasing the overall storage length. Instead of half of the shaft sitting in the water, and half out, 1/3 is in the water, and 2/3 is out. You get the benefit of a longer trap with a taller, more visible flag, without having to carry a 30” long folded trap.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:14 AM »
^^^^ i’d Agree. ‘Height’ definitely seems to be a theme in many/most of their trap designs, and that would make sense, ice-fishing in northern Maine, you’re frequently looking at really deep snow on the lakes.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Patry’s
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Hmmm that I don’t know Wayne, I’ve only ever used the jacks that are the fold up style with the without the cross and I didn’t like them, they blow over on glare ice during gusts and seem to move a lot. Anyway my point is I haven’t seen the cross style in person so I can’t say. Could just be for packing up purposes? Or just the way the thickness of those feet align? I’d haveto see one
That's why when I built my last set of H style they are 4: wide... they dont blow over even in a 30 mph wind.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2019, 06:59 PM »
Good deal

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2019, 05:12 AM »
I have tried many types.
Jacks are my favorite. I have quite a collection of them at this point. I have come to appreciate portability, I prefer the smallest ones.
The Butler Traps look awesome as well, I do not own any yet. Functionality simply to Jacks.
I am picking up 6 Patry's this week, a present to my son. The mechanism is 40up-ish. They look very nice, and smooth.
For budget, can't beat 40up. I have lots of them, they are my loaners when I bring greenhorns out.
Heritage were my first. There are many better options imho. I have sold most of them off.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2019, 08:32 AM »
I bought all Heritage traps and would do it different if I were buying today. I would get smaller traps. But I agree, the Heritage traps jump quite a bit. That flag and spring assembly is significant.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.