Author Topic: Best ice anchor tool?  (Read 7910 times)

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best ice anchor tool?
« on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Which ice anchor drill adapter tool is everone using? For the last couple years I have just been turning them in by hand, but figured I should get with the times and use a much faster and easier way to turn the ice anchors into the ice. Also I believe my anchors are the eagle claw ones? They have red plasti-dipped handles. Thanks in advance.

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best ice anchor tool?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:15 PM »
I use the Eskimo drillbit anchor tool for my Otter Shack/Anchors  :P

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Eskimo, but some of the other guys (Otter) are using the same Chinese factory and putting out the same thing.  Otters new ice anchors are acually Eskimo's design, same with the ice anchor tool.  It may say Otter on it, but it is Eskimo's design.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:18 PM »
I've been happy with the red metal Eskimo one.  Otter released one that looks very similar and I've always been happy with everything Otter I've owned.  I would probably recommend staying away from the Clam plastic one, or any plastic one for that matter. I heard reports of the plastic cracking.  The ice anchor tools work great, you won't regret the purchase.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:22 PM »
LOL 3 replies in 3 minutes, all basically saying the same thing.  We're all sitting here on Ice Shanty...we need ice!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:26 PM »
Stay away from the original BroCraft one that's all aluminum. It will bend and twist up like a pretzel.  Don't ask me how I know.  They have "new and improved" ones out that have a steel shaft that might be better quality.  It's the one in the attached link. It 'might' be ok.  No guarantees.

https://www.amazon.com/Brocraft-Anchor-Drill-Adapter-Auger/dp/B01N0E0F5R/ref=asc_df_B01N0E0F5R/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312803734281&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16392748727098517096&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006291&hvtargid=pla-777703590912&psc=1

DN

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:38 PM »
I just got/used the Eskimo anchor tool.. works well..Clam has a similar one as does Otter these have a device mechanism to hold the anchor ..not sure that's a good,great or bad thing ...I had the original Clam one ..plastic worked fine but when I switched to Eskimo style anchors it would not work.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline AcezHi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:50 PM »
I bought a 12 pack of 5" LedgerLoc screws.
Comes with the tool.
I pop the tool or the KDrill into the drill.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LedgerLOK-5-in-Ledger-Board-Fastener-FMLL005-INDY/204307981

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2019, 01:56 PM »
Well it sounds like the Eskimo one is the way to go ;D. Do you guys know if it has enough wiggle room so that the plasti dipped anchors will work?

-MudbuM Boys

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2019, 02:04 PM »
Well it sounds like the Eskimo one is the way to go ;D. Do you guys know if it has enough wiggle room so that the plasti dipped anchors will work?

Not sure about that ..but there is wiggle room with the Eskimo style anchors..with no rubber coating ..not sure which brand you have ..but the Eskimo style anchors will hold plenty and will not bend ...worth the price ..and I have tried them all.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2019, 02:07 PM »

Splurge and get the Eskimo/Otter Ice Anchors.  They are head and shoulders better than the rest out there.   Do yourself a favor.  Seriously.  They screw in like butter, even by hand.

DN

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2019, 02:27 PM »
I believe these are the ones I have.. It's been a few years since I have bought them, the reason I bought these ones is because they had the biggest threads and they won't bend. But if I must buy more fishing stuff you guys don't have to twist my arm very hard  ;D ;D

-MudbuM Boys

Offline todalake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam Base Camp Thermal
Clam Legend Thermal
Nils 6" Lazer 5" & 7"
Ridgid 1300#
Clam Plate/extension

Offline Cjnstorm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2019, 03:03 PM »
I was using a clam outdoors, worked well, but i was always bending the tips of the anchors, so now i use a sockets and thin lag bolts with a fender washer.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2019, 03:10 PM »
I am going to be switching to these soon just haven't did it yet. should be better then the originals.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/new-for-2018-2019/extreme-ice-anchor-kit.html

this is the tool for them.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/new-for-2018-2019/extreme-ice-anchor-installation-tool.html

Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline WyoTex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2019, 03:50 PM »
I use lag bolts with fender washers and a 9/26" socket on an impact driver, never a problem and can buy more anywhere and anytime.

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:27 PM »
I like the idea of lagbolts, simple and easy. But if for some reason the battery goes dead in the drill (I don't use a drill for an auger) I think it would be a pain to use a ratchet, unless there is another way? Thanks everyone for the responses! :tipup:

-MudbuM Boys

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:04 PM »
Almost any anchor fits this. This pops into my Ion auger head with the quick release. It can't get much easier.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:37 PM »

Eskimo tool mounted on a speed wrench, and Eskimo anchors. Only 15 cranks and they are in.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:51 PM »
I am going to be switching to these soon just haven't did it yet. should be better then the originals.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/new-for-2018-2019/extreme-ice-anchor-kit.html

this is the tool for them.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/new-for-2018-2019/extreme-ice-anchor-installation-tool.html
I hope it's better than the originals. My install tool snapped in half on the first outing. Looks like they copied designs from other manufacturers in the business. 

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:00 PM »

Eskimo tool mounted on a speed wrench, and Eskimo anchors. Only 15 cranks and they are in.

Now that's a slick setup, never even thought of that....thanks.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:14 PM »
I bought an aluminum one from Amazon made by Brocraft, total junk.  The aluminum is too sot and it bends.  I now use a Clam, but only take my hub out once a year so it is a moot point.    I'll tie my flipover to the atv/utv.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:26 PM »
Eskimo, but some of the other guys (Otter) are using the same Chinese factory and putting out the same thing.  Otters new ice anchors are acually Eskimo's design, same with the ice anchor tool.  It may say Otter on it, but it is Eskimo's design.

DN
As a note, there are slight differences in between the brands. my eskimo anchor adaptor didn’t fit into my clam speed wrench. The wrench came with a 9mm socket and I had to get adapter and 8mm socket, but it’s not nearly as deep as the socket the clam wrench came with. 

Offline sylvain guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2019, 04:13 AM »
2nd the ION with the quick release adapter

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:19 AM »

x2 except with the otter adaptor.  The adaptor is a little difficult to get off the anchors that have been dipped in rubber, but it works great

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:18 AM »
Almost any anchor fits this. This pops into my Ion auger head with the quick release. It can't get much easier.

X2!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:30 AM »
Tool for installation is already attached.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:42 AM »
Best ice anchor tool?? This is mine: Ice Angel digger/ancher. Proudly made in your Minnesota, USA:-)

Drill a hole with auger (don't drill through ice), put this thing in the hole, and pull it up to secure your hut. When done with your fishin', push this thing down in the hole, and just take it out of the hole. Easy Peasy. And it don't standard any chance whatsoever to become loose due to say strong gusty wind pulling it, as the more and/or harder it is pulled, the more secure it bites into ice wall of the hole.  Do I need to say more?:-)

Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:52 AM »
Best ice anchor tool?? This is mine: Ice Angel digger/ancher. Proudly made in Minnesota, USA:-)

Drill a hole with auger (don't drill through ice), put this thing in the hole, and pull it up to secure your hut. When done with your fishin', push this thing down in the hole, and just take it out of the hole. Easy Peasy. And it don't standard any chance whatsoever to become loose due to say strong gusty wind pulling it, as the more and/or harder it is pulled, the more secure it bites into ice wall of the hole.  Do I need to say more?:-)

Those are interesting, but they are just too big and bulky for the task at hand. I can fit all 4 ice climbing screws in my pocket. Only downfall is the ice climbing screws are not cheap but buy once, cry once. I won't lose them, that's for sure.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:15 AM »
I bought an Otter tool this year and it has worked great.  I like that the anchors stay firmly in the tool while positioning the screw.  Makes it a nice one handed operation. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.