Author Topic: The age old question.How do you out in the cold on ice.(joke)  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
People ask me all the time. How do you go out on the ice in the cold all the time.
 My response
I have this amazing thing
 F loatation
 A ssist
 T hermal resistance
😉
I’m FAT that means I’m made for ice fishing 😂

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
Re: The age old question.How do you out in the cold on ice.(joke)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:11 PM »
I appreciate that and definitely fit that  description.   Appreciate it that will help me explain my addiction to the hardwater.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:06 PM »
I always tell them that’s it’s hard to ice fish in August.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:49 PM »
With the right equipment it's the best place to be.   

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:01 PM »
No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:44 AM »
I draw the line when my tip ups are blowing out of my holes and you have to chase them down repeatedly, even though you anchored them down with ice.....and I mean the low fliers.....
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Way back when I was perhaps 30 or so. Found a great bite on popular lake. Only trouble was close to a causeway. Some people driving by just could not resist. Yelling at me with remarks like " You are an idiot ". With most remarks laced with profanities.

Almost always I just ignored the crap. One particular day. A brief overnight right had eliminated what little snow was on the ice. Making for extremely slippery footing. I no sooner set up and a driver again just has to yell at me. Not being in a good mood I answered with a one finger salute.

Driver slams on brakes, pulls over in a no parking zone. Comes down to edge of shoreline. I was sitting atop my 6 gallon bucket.He went on to explain how he was going to teach me a lesson. I stood up and probably looked bigger than  I actually am.
He beat a hasty retreat to his still running auto. What would have been absolutely hilarious. If only he would have stepped out on to the ice. It was so slick I had to be careful and my boots were studded. The idiot would have went down immediately with normal footwear. I think I would have allowed him to flounder on the ice for awhile. Until a life lesson sunk in.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:10 AM »
Way back when I was perhaps 30 or so. Found a great bite on popular lake. Only trouble was close to a causeway. Some people driving by just could not resist. Yelling at me with remarks like " You are an idiot ". With most remarks laced with profanities.

Almost always I just ignored the crap. One particular day. A brief overnight right had eliminated what little snow was on the ice. Making for extremely slippery footing. I no sooner set up and a driver again just has to yell at me. Not being in a good mood I answered with a one finger salute.

Driver slams on brakes, pulls over in a no parking zone. Comes down to edge of shoreline. I was sitting atop my 6 gallon bucket.He went on to explain how he was going to teach me a lesson. I stood up and probably looked bigger than  I actually am.
He beat a hasty retreat to his still running auto. What would have been absolutely hilarious. If only he would have stepped out on to the ice. It was so slick I had to be careful and my boots were studded. The idiot would have went down immediately with normal footwear. I think I would have allowed him to flounder on the ice for awhile. Until a life lesson sunk in.

You paint a beautiful picture. I would have loved to see big-balls Billy take a hefty hoof out on slick ice. I can see it now.....lol
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:57 AM »
My response is "very slowly"

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2019, 12:03 AM »
A few years ago in Wisconsin we had a nice cold November.  Water temps were just shy of 60 on November 1st and three weeks later we had fishable ice.  On the opening day of deer season (I don't hunt, my brothers and nephews do) we had a stiff wind pushing the windchills into the negative 5 to negative 10 range.

As I'm getting my ice fishing gear gathered up I tell my mom and dad that only a fool would enjoy freezing their tail off sitting in a woods on a day like that.  Dad laughed and sort of pulled an Obi-Wan line out of the air:  "Who is more foolish? The fool who sits in a tree on a day like this or the fool who sits on a bucket ice fishing in conditions like this?" 

We had a good laugh at the irony of it but I rationalized it by explaining that when I'm ice fishing I can get up, move around, make noise, and most importantly I can drink beer getting stupid drunk and I don't have to worry about landing on my head after falling 15 feet out of a tree.  Dad, who doesn't hunt or fish and who hates the cold, says: "Let me get warm clothes on. I'll join you." 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.