The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Smelt on Caspian?  (Read 895 times)

Offline Sn0789

• IceShanty Rookie
Smelt on Caspian?
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:34 PM »
I'm thinking about trying Caspian opening weekend but hadn't heard much about catchin smelt there.    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Smelt on Caspian?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:39 PM »
They usually catch them in 1 to 3 feet of water in front of the dam next to the launch.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:38 AM »
I have encountered them in a few spots, mainly hugging bottom, in small numbers. Never really targeted them though. I will tell you that if you get some, and the lakers are being picky, having smelt can save the day.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:57 AM »
From what I have been told by folks who fish it a lot, the smelt population crashed several years back. The fish that have been coming out of there lead me to believe that is true, seen some pictures of some long lakers that were skin and bones, and we fish it open water every year in the spring, and haven't seen a smelt in the stomach of the lakers or the rainbows we have caught the last 3 years. I am sure they are still in there just not on a large scale, but I have never marked a bait cloud, and havent heard of anyone being super successful catching them. A lot of people catch them on Joes and illegally transport them up.

Offline Sn0789

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:13 PM »
Thank you all for the info.  I am really considering putting my hard shack out there this year but if I can't catch smelt I don't  know if I shack up there.  Anyone ever run a green light smeltin  there?   

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:23 PM »
From what I have been told by folks who fish it a lot, the smelt population crashed several years back. The fish that have been coming out of there lead me to believe that is true, seen some pictures of some long lakers that were skin and bones, and we fish it open water every year in the spring, and haven't seen a smelt in the stomach of the lakers or the rainbows we have caught the last 3 years. I am sure they are still in there just not on a large scale, but I have never marked a bait cloud, and havent heard of anyone being super successful catching them. A lot of people catch them on Joes and illegally transport them up.

I have pulled a number of lakers out of Caspian the past few years burping up smelt, but like you, haven't found clouds of them. Most of the the lakers I land are real healthy looking, but not overly fat. If you're referring to that long skinny one JMailbox8 landed in 2017 on this post: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=342521.msg3639254#msg3639254 I would be willing to bet money it had rubber baits in its stomach. We won't know since it was released. They can't pass them or break them down, and it affects their growth. Landed a few on champ looking like that, brought them home, and sure enough - rubber baits stuck in their gut.

There sure are a lot of lakers in Caspian though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're the result of a previous smelt boom. Perhaps an argument against releasing every fish you land.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:07 AM »
Saw a 9” smelt pulled up last year at caspian and have had schools of smelt pass through below me take up half the dial on my vex they’re there
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline Sn0789

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:27 AM »
Cool.  I'm pumped.  Il be in the grey hard shack if anyone wants to pop by and chat! 

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:31 PM »
I got no wheels this winter so I’m limited to when I can go if anyone goes through Johnson lol stop and pick my a$$ up rofl
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.