Author Topic: Pond Ice  (Read 2489 times)

Offline bigwillie

• IceShanty Rookie
Pond Ice
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:13 PM »
Checked a pond south of Manchester.  Only had an inch.  Be careful out there!

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
Re: Pond Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:02 PM »
I checked one today with 1 1/2".  It's getting there.  We just don't need the snow.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:29 PM »
Our buddies started fishing Sally 105 yesterday on 2 1/2 inches. From reports their are several fishing right now. You might try the beach area for an easier walk.

Offline Lee1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:18 PM »
Checked my pond tonight and it had 1-3” depending where I checked. The snow on it is really impedeing it to make ice. I’m afraid we’re going to hear a lot more of people going in. Hope not, but everyone has the itch. Be careful and spud often!

Offline Hoosierguy86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:35 PM »
I had 2.25" last night before all this snow came. Still to thin for me.

Offline Lee1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:55 AM »
Been out this morning and it made good ice on the pond except for where there’s snow.One whack with the spud and it’s through. I can get to where I need to go and give it a try. About 3” there. If you decide to go be smart out there!

Offline Hoosierguy86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2019, 12:27 PM »
Just checked mine. Some of the sketchiest ice I have seen. Two separate layers. Top layer is all junk and bottom layer is junk + solid ice. One spot near shore had snow over it and no ice. Another spot had 7" of junk and maybe 1" good ice. 5' from that was only 4" with 1/2" of good ice (both holes off pier). In shallow water out from beach I had 5" but only one inch good ice. Again, it was separate layers.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2019, 12:34 PM »
I think that's what is going to be found most places.  Ice is never uniform but this weather is going to make some real dangerous ice.  Be careful.

Offline Lee1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:21 PM »
Fished 2 ponds today and both were real similar, had spots with 4-5” and spots that are real crap. Did manage to catch a few and cleaned some. They seem to be real spooky and not biting very hard. To much sunshine I think. Be careful out there!

Offline rob1680

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:13 PM »
I fished one in Central Indiana yesterday.  I had 3.5 - 4 everywhere.  Spudded my away around, then drilled a half dozen holes over the course of the afternoon.  All good ice, just wish the fish thought so.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:39 PM »
Went out today.  First 80 ft it was 5", then went to 4" and then another 50' it was 6".  Anything with snow on it was slushy and 2" of ice...spud spud spud..managed a nice mess but I had to work on them.  They were tight on the bottom and would come up and look..every once in awhile you would get one.  Ended up with 22 and that's enough.  Just good to get outdoors and visit with the guys and nature.

Offline Hoosierguy86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:42 AM »
Looks like things are locking up much better this time around. Haven't checked it yet but hoping for a fun weekend.

Offline Lee1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:16 AM »
I didn’t go out and check last night to see how things looked but will tonight. Looking from inside the house the ice appears to be a lot more even now. We’ll see what has been added since Wednesday night.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2019, 02:21 PM »
Just got back from checking a few ponds in the Wheatfield area. I was expecting to fish a buddy and and I took all of our gear and it was a waste only found about three in each and every bit of two and a half of it was old frozen snow. Was really surprised I also heard the sounds of making ice at a couple of them but didn't feel comfortable venturing out going to try some bigger water tomorrow and see what I find

Offline Motley14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2019, 04:05 PM »
Wow that is crazy on a pond. Must have a spring because everything else in the area is solid 3 or more of good ice that I have seen. How is 4 seasons?  That is out by you and I heard pretty solid? 

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Who are u referring to motley ?

Offline Motley14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Lake of the 4 seasons is near you and didn’t know if you checked there. I went by loomis and it was good in valpo, flint not there yet all over, and saw people on stone.

Offline Hoosierguy86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2019, 04:33 PM »
Just did a quick check on mine. Seemed pretty solid but didn't drill anything. Only hitting with a bar. However, the spots with just an inch or less of snow cover were completely soft. Going to give it another day or so before I head out to fish just to be safe.

Offline Lee1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Just came in off mine and it was a consistent 4” all over, thought I should of found more. After thinking about it I believe it has a warm layer of water on top and that’s why it isn’t as thick as it should be. After it cools it should really start making more ice. The ice was good and hard. Fishing was terrible.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Never been on lofs , thought you had to know someone to fish that ? Done alot of work in there recently and I know the police it pretty well

Offline Motley14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2019, 06:46 PM »
Yes that’s true. Just was wondering if you knew anyone there because I heard the ice was pretty darn good there which was nearby you. Was just trying to give you a nearby choice if you knew someone.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:11 PM »
I appreciate it , I usually don't venture that far striat north of me when fishing . I'm headed east tomorrow gonna finally get on some ice for the day !

Offline Hoosierguy86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2019, 04:13 PM »
Welp, ice on my pond was thick! 7" with 4-5" good ice. Not sure how it jumped in thickness so quickly after the rain but boy are my arms tired. Manual auger and fish were not biting well so had to punch multiple holes. Hope others are finding good ice and have better luck on biting.

Offline rrwhookem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2019, 07:07 PM »
Ice on my pond was six pluse except for the edges where there was snow piled up, went right through with the spud.

Offline Kern77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2019, 11:14 PM »
My father in law, my son and I went fishing today on a pond in Grant County. There was 10” of ice and we had a great day. We caught a lot of crappie most were 11.5 and 12”. I caught a 13” and my son got him a 14”

Offline Lee1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:47 AM »
Great job! Nice looking fish there. I’m going out in a few here on the pond to see if they’re biting today. Be safe out there.

Offline jiggingicecold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:17 AM »
Good looking crappie. Always fun when you get into the nice sized ones.  :thumbsup:

Offline rob1680

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:57 AM »
I fished on 12" yesterday, I hope it holds up through the warm snap!  Be careful out there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.