Author Topic: Super Bowl: On ICE!  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Super Bowl: On ICE!
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:28 AM »
A couple friends and I were talking about having a little super bowl party on the ice. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Would love to hear your stories/ see your pictures. Trying to figure out the best TV solution as well, might have to drag a generator on the ice if no one has better ideas (power banks?) The current plan is to use a phone as a hotspot and connect a laptop via HDMI to a larger screen. Were going to operate out of a portable as none of us have a perm. Food shouldnt be hard, just grilling etc (unless we have a generator, then we might break out the slow cookers lol)
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Super Bowl: On ICE!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:39 AM »
I love listening to the games on the radio when I am on the ice. I have gotten to like it so much, that even if I had a TV available on the ice I would choose the radio on purpose. It is almost more immersive! I can't explain it.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:50 AM »
Couldn't you just use an antenna, even just rabbit ears, and ditch the laptop & phone hotspot deal?

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:01 AM »
Couldn't you just use an antenna, even just rabbit ears, and ditch the laptop & phone hotspot deal?

I didnt realize the game plays on regular broadcasting like that, this is a good idea!
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Never done it as I'm there to fish.  But if I did it would be with a radio cause to much bs on tv games.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:14 PM »
Good day to fish. Most guys are home watchinging something on TV..   ::) ::)  I usually get home around half time and clean fish..   ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:31 PM »
We watch a movie on our boat overnighter, and we have had good luck with our Goal Zero Yeti 150 portable power station.  It also runs our lights, but we are only using a small, portable DVD player with its own screen, and using a rechargeable Bose speaker for audio.

The Yeti 1250 would run a TV for like 12 hours, but the model number is also basically the price.  That would be way cool.

The Yeti 400 would run a TV for about 3 hours, but the big game goes about 4.  You could charge from the generator at halftime or go to generated power after power bank runs out. 

I'm not associated with the Goal Zero folks, just a happy customer.

https://www.goalzero.com/

The idea of a silent power source sounds attractive to me.  I have also seen folks put a sound barrier over top and 3 sides of a Honda, with the open end on the exhaust side pointing away from camp, but it's still neighbor-noisy.

You're gonna want some kind of shade on the screen, and some weather protection, so some kind of shelter is going to be the way to go.  Even on a clear, calm day a quick-shade would be in order over the screen.

This sounds fun.  If you pull it off, please post some pics!
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:40 PM »
they do make 12v flatscreen portable digital tvs. have been looking at them. anybody ever use one?

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:49 PM »
I didnt realize the game plays on regular broadcasting like that, this is a good idea!

Just make sure you can get your local CBS station wherever you plan on fishing if you decide to go this route. tvfool.com can tell you.

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:34 PM »
I just bought a portable projector for a weekend trip in a sleeper shack and it worked out awesome. It was a bit spendy at $300, but was well worth it. 4 hours of battery life, and mirrored my phone's screen to watch the football games last weekend. Lg PH30JG is the model. Up to 100" display, and the picture quality was very good.

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:53 PM »
This sounds like fun, but it will be dark before the actual game starts. 🙄

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:52 PM »
Portable projector would be epic if you can pull it off.

Online JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:16 AM »
This sounds like fun, but it will be dark before the actual game starts. 🙄

Yep, usually fish all day then go to a party for the game.  Hopefully it was a good day, and I'm providing a fish fry  ;)

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:44 AM »
Ordered a pretty cheap portable projector to test out, hopefully it works well or its going back!
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:34 PM »
I can fish all day and still make it home for our local Super Bowl party and game start, I only live a few miles from the lake.

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:26 PM »
I'll be watching the game from the pool this year at my apartment complex. We did it last year and hosted a few friends, now more want to some this year. Should be a good day.

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:15 AM »
it is nice to see everyone is so eager to watch tom win his 6th ring. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.