Author Topic: Missisinewa locked up?  (Read 2665 times)

Offline drewthehoosier

• IceShanty Rookie
Missisinewa locked up?
« on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:59 PM »
Any report of missisinewa locked up? I live in tippecanoe county and have a local lake with 1 1/2 inches

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Missisinewa locked up?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:57 PM »
Pretty sure it's locked up but im thinking itll probly b another week till we can get on it if we dont get a bunch of snow this weekend.

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:53 AM »
The lake is still 3.5 above winter pool im guesing if she starts making ice there may be a void between ice and water...maybe

Offline ED YOUNG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:58 AM »
I know we drove around it Saturday and it was muddy it will be a week before it clears up

Offline crappiekilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2019, 10:29 AM »
The lake is still 3.5 above winter pool im guesing if she starts making ice there may be a void between ice and water...maybe
There will be no void between ice and water.  Ice will break and lay on bank as it goes down and ice will still be on top of water.  Never in my years of fishing these 2 has there ever been a void between ice and water
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:15 AM »
It will make it bad as far as getting on and off.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:56 PM »
You got that right.  I remember years ago near last ice sliding down ice chunks at Salamonie wondering how I was going to get back up.  I was in a bay at monument island area.  Open water flowing in the middle of the res.   I was by myself for a long time until two other guys showed up.  They were biting a foot under the ice.  That was 20 yrs ago, too old now to do those things.  I need the easy on and off, no more board walking for me.

Offline I Walton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:25 PM »
Monday I dropped two rocks from Red Bridge and they both went through. Today I dropped another two rocks and they both broke the ice but lodged in the ice. Experience says we are close but no cigar! Monday the ice was clear and the water looked clear this afternoon there was a definite mud line under ice. It was on the south side of the bridge. water under the north side ice looked clear. The concrete supports in the middle  had open water around them. yesterday 2 guys walked along the south and east side they threw rocks into the lake and broke the ice. They got out long poles and started fishing in the open area. I watched for about 10 min. and never saw they catch anything. An earlier post mentioned the water is still 3.5 feet above winter pool. You could hear the ice breaking as the level was going down. This will make getting on and off of the ice tricky. With the impending snow and the very low temperatures this weekend I would not recommend trying to fish until Sunday or Monday. Be safe out there! We still have high drawdown and muddy water below the dam.

Offline drewthehoosier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:29 PM »
Walton have you happened to be by red bridge as of late and seen what its like?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:52 AM »

that only happens where there are trees or brush to hold it up.  I seen it one time at Huntington.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline ED YOUNG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:21 AM »
4.5 to 5 inchs be safe

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:05 AM »
4.5 to 5 inchs be safe
you know for sure ed there 4 to 5 inches? Guys fishn now?

Offline ED YOUNG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:38 AM »
I fished it yesterday and just now came home from there but I only  caught two today the wind is out of the east, yesterday was better.

Offline armentroutlucas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:56 AM »
Alright fellas I’m gonna need a partner. I’ll drill the holes and you follow behind me with the sonar. Then we can get a nice shanty town going when we find them! I know we’ve all been out here fishing together and I don’t think I’ve met one of you. I figure if I say I’ll do the drilling I’ll find some new fishing buddies!!! What do y’all think? Need some of you older guys to teach me some new tricks!

Offline ED YOUNG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:06 AM »
Where was you this morning, be careful guys I know everyone is wanting out , I was on the northside

Offline armentroutlucas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:42 PM »
At work

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Any body know what the deal is with the river level read out for the Mississinewa tail race?  The USGS page comes up, with the
graph but no reading showing the discharge level.  It's been that way for a few days...

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline Icechuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2019, 02:07 PM »
Go to Army corp of engineers Louisville district . Lake levels  was .8 above winter pool this morning with very little water being let out.

Offline drewthehoosier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2019, 03:39 PM »
Fingers crossed this weather doesnt mess up ice, ill be out there saturday and sunday..

Offline rob1680

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:59 PM »
I fished a farm pond in Northern Madison County next to my house yesterday, it had 4", but no fish!  I have never fished Missy, any suggestions on which lot?  Do people park at a ramp and go out, or just venture on anywhere?  I'd love to get into some gills and crappie.

Offline ED YOUNG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:06 PM »
Red bridge ramp are the Northside

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2019, 03:19 AM »
Both Resi's will be messed up for a while now. They'll be a lot of water coming in. Level will be rising quickly and water will muddy up. The corp of eng will open up gates to release water creating a lot of current in upper end of resi's where everyone fishes. It will be atleast a couple weeks now before things get back to fishable conditions. Watch the corp site for daily changes. Sorry guys, it was good while it lasted.

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2019, 07:19 AM »
Yep , Bigr is correct, seen it before. Two days at 40* and what seems like 2 inches of rain combined with 6" of melting snow, ya it's going to be a mess for a awhile. Temps drop below or around ) for lows for next 7 days, should make some real good ice on lakes and ponds.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:04 AM »
As of 6am reading the corp site recorded nearly an inch of rain on all resi's . Some rise in level already. Rained hard from 6 to 8 and still raining. Atleast another 1/2 inch or more. I predict level will rise 10 to 15 ft in next 3 days. Sorry to say but I would be surprised if any more fishing on ice this winter.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:09 AM »
Just a question here as I have wandered this in the past... Approx. how long does it take the rain to hit the reservoirs and either the mud show up or the water start to rise.  Also there have been times I have tried to time the tailwater increase in flows with a fishing trip.  It seems I end up looking at the corp data, trying to guess on mornings fishing trip.  I go there early in the morning only to have them increase the flow on me and the fishing shut off.  Long story short, I  have wandered how long it takes say a 1" rain to begin to affect the reservoir.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:15 AM »
I was wondering the same thing.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:44 AM »
Most the water that feeds the resi's come from much further south and east. Usually 24hrs but heavy rains with the level already down will have very quick effects from shore runoff as far as clarity goes. As guessing the discharge that depends on several factors, some as far as the Mississippi river level. Remember these dams were made as flood control for a large region. Checking all three upper resi levels and discharge can help in guessing what corp will do. More accurate way is to call local eng office and they will be happy to let you know what they plan to do that day.   

Offline Icechuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Lots of rain reported all the way to the Ohio State line along with the 6 plus inches of snow that it melted.  To bad had 4 friends that caught a good mess of 10 inch  on sally yesterday.

Offline ED YOUNG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:01 AM »
Lake has came up 8.3 ft above winter pool from yesterday

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.