Author Topic: My fishing trip last weekend didn't end up happening.  (Read 1103 times)

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
Was going to to be in Wisconsin for some fishing but that didn't end up happening.  I'm just glad I wasn't injured is all. 

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My fishing trip last weekend didn't end up happening.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2019, 05:31 PM »
We'll glad you're O.K. What happened?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Went to switch lanes to get over for my turn to head into Wisconsin.   Traffic was moving fine so I checked my blind spot to switch lanes and when I looked back cars were all breaking hard.  Someone about 5 cars ahead or so slammed the breaks on.

I ended up hitting the person in front of me.   

It sucked bad.   My gear came flying up into the front seat the ice auger was then sitting in my passenger seat and I had to climb out the window to get out.  Airbags didn't deploy but my seat belt was on.   

No one was injured , the truck of fixable so that's a plus.   Hopefully in about a week or 2 I'll be back in my truck and re-attempting the trip again in a few weeks especially if ice isn't the best around here

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Glad you and no one else was injured like you say your truck can be repaired. I would have the air bag system checked from your photos thought the bags would have deployed.
Steve

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2019, 11:32 PM »
I thought so as well.  I'm going to check into recalls and so on to make sure on the truck.   It's supposed to be one of the safest vehicles in it's class and year.   It probably still is since I'm still here and posting about it

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2019, 01:41 AM »
Oh wow, glad you're alright
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:38 AM »
Glad to hear your alright.  Too bad it took out your fishing trip also.  We were looking forward to some pics and a trip report.  Hopefully soon we will be back on the ice here locally.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:54 AM »
Went to switch lanes to get over for my turn to head into Wisconsin.   Traffic was moving fine so I checked my blind spot to switch lanes and when I looked back cars were all breaking hard.  Someone about 5 cars ahead or so slammed the breaks on.

I ended up hitting the person in front of me.   

It sucked bad.   My gear came flying up into the front seat the ice auger was then sitting in my passenger seat and I had to climb out the window to get out.  Airbags didn't deploy but my seat belt was on.   

No one was injured , the truck of fixable so that's a plus.   Hopefully in about a week or 2 I'll be back in my truck and re-attempting the trip again in a few weeks especially if ice isn't the best around here

That's the second vehicle I know of where air bags did not deploy when they should have.  All different makes and models. Makes ya wonder.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:53 AM »
That's the second vehicle I know of where air bags did not deploy when they should have.  All different makes and models. Makes ya wonder.
My mothers didn't deploy either. 2008 dodge Avenger. She was lucky at 94 years young.

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2019, 11:15 AM »
I definitely feel lucky.   I'm glad your mother is alright as well. Lucky it wasn't worse.    Hopefully I'll have it back soon and be able to head north to try it again lol.   This definitely hasn't stopped me from trying to ice fish.  I want a good season filled with eyes and perch hahahaha

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2019, 11:15 AM »
I definitely feel lucky.   I'm glad your mother is alright as well. Lucky it wasn't worse.    Hopefully I'll have it back soon and be able to head north to try it again lol.   This definitely hasn't stopped me from trying to ice fish.  I want a good season filled with eyes and perch hahahaha

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:13 PM »

Yikes...what was the estimate on damage to the truck?  Looks like the entire engine compartment is compromised.  Air bags definitely should have deployed with a front end collision like that.

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:35 PM »
Parts are on the way will be fixed in about 10 days.   But I agree should have deployed. 

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2019, 12:01 AM »
The Good Man Upstairs was definitely looking out for you!

Glad all is well!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2019, 07:52 AM »
Had a 2001 GMC full size truck get hit while I was sitting at the curb with noplace to go watching this car heading for me from the front driven by a woman having a full blown siezure lying down across the seat. No one  visiable in the front seat. Air bag did not employ and luckily wasn't hurt.
Glad you are ok! Scary for sure.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:34 PM »
Sorry that happened to you.  Glad you are ok to try it another day. 

Offline awade84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:30 PM »
sorry to hear about your trip but glad you are ok

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:41 PM »
Any way to know if they are gonna work( airbags) ? Just cause the light is in or off how do u know ??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.