The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake John/SGL 66&57  (Read 1006 times)

Offline SweetValleyYoungblood

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake John/SGL 66&57
« on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:21 PM »
Fished Lake John this afternoon and man what a hike in and out. Managed to get a couple nice bass and a pickerel in the hour we fished it. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any other ways to access it other than parking in the lot on Mud Road and walking to it from there.

Also, I am looking to hit some of the other ponds and lakes up there so if anyone has any info on them that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Offline Fishhog1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake John/SGL 66&57
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2018, 01:41 AM »
I fished Lake John once years ago. I was in much better shape then. I've recently been talking about going again, but no one seems to have a better plan than over the hills and through the woods. Curious how much ice was there. Not that it really matters. Until I could get there this front will probably ruin it. 

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2018, 05:30 AM »
I fished Lake John once years ago. I was in much better shape then. I've recently been talking about going again, but no one seems to have a better plan than over the hills and through the woods. Curious how much ice was there. Not that it really matters. Until I could get there this front will probably ruin it.

I didn’t have a tape measure on me but I’d say there was at least 5 inches on it. But it was that cloudy grey ice.

Offline Fishhog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2018, 01:14 PM »
I've only heard of one place that currently has good black ice, and it's private. I'll be picking brains on the subject of Lake John throughout the season. Maybe I can organize a trip, but that hike usually deters ppl. There's gotta be a better way. But then again, it's remoteness is what makes it appealing. It's always about time . I've been eyeballing Bruce Lake for years, but simular situation.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2018, 03:55 PM »
I've only heard of one place that currently has good black ice, and it's private. I'll be picking brains on the subject of Lake John throughout the season. Maybe I can organize a trip, but that hike usually deters ppl. There's gotta be a better way. But then again, it's remoteness is what makes it appealing. It's always about time . I've been eyeballing Bruce Lake for years, but simular situation.

Lake Jean up there on red rock has good black ice as well. There are a lot of lakes up there that are secluded that intrigue me. It’s just all about finding a somewhat convenient way to them. Hopefully there’s some fellow ice-fishermen out there that can shed some light.

Offline charlijones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:47 AM »
Never found or heard of any other way in to Lake John

Offline Iceslick621

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:21 AM »
I've never been back there but I mapped it hope to be there within the next few weeks to check it out.

Offline Drill plate 18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:02 AM »
That is the only way in. Im now getting to the point id rather go to a different lake and drive an extra hour than walk a extra hour. All depends on the mood

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.