Author Topic: Grumman Sport boat (Gunflint)  (Read 2658 times)

Online Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Grumman Sport boat (Gunflint)
« on: Oct 14, 2018, 07:30 AM »
The mention of the Grumman in the Panoptix discussion peaked my interest, but did not want to dilute that thread.  So what about the Grumman Sport boat?  Which model are you using and what do you think of it?  I have a Grumman 17' square stern in my fleet of boats, it is used for the purpose of going up small creeks in attempt to get in remote lakes that have no access.  After dumping the square stern last summer (losing a chainsaw that was not secured and a couple of other things), was thinking about something a little more stable, yet narrow and lite enough to get to some of the places I want to go. Grumman has a good reputation, which prompted the question, I would also be interested in other imput on options for a (good) boat that would fit this catagory, thank you for any thoughts.

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Grumman Sport boat (Gunflint)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2018, 09:04 AM »
I am planning to build an sk-14 solo skiff this winter.   I think it'll be plenty stable and should only draft about 3" even with my rotund carcass in the boat.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2018, 11:33 AM »
I love the Grumman Sportboat.  I have 2. One on a trailer for fishing other lakes and one at my dock at the cabin. The dock version is older and, I think, better. Main reason is that the Coast Guard forced Grumman to add more flotation foam to the boat and they put it into a metal sleeve along the gunnels. The older version does not have these and has more room.

Look to see if you can get one of hte older ones used.  If not, the new one is still a great small boat.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2018, 03:10 PM »
I fish from and duck hunt form my Grumman Sport Boat. I have chased down and retrieved more ducks out of it. Much more stable than a canoe, (and I had a 17' Grumman sq. stern), and fast as heck for rowing. Handles pretty rough water too.
Duke

Online Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2018, 05:06 PM »
Which sport boat are you guys using?  I looked on the Grumman site, are you using the jon boat, if not what model?

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2018, 12:00 PM »
I don't own a Grumman sport boat but have spoken to many people that do and researched them a lot online. It is on my list of things to buy someday. I don't really need one but would love to have one. I think they would make a great duck boat. I also like the idea of taking it out early spring for walleye, when its too early to get the big boat out. I also think it would be fund to take it to Ontario and fish some lakes off the beaten trail that don't have boat ramps. Wouldn't be able to portage it far, but two guys should be able to get it a hundred yards or so for the lakes that don't have boat ramps.

I always keep my eye out for a good deal on a used one. Usually they go for a pretty high price, which tells you something about them.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2018, 09:31 AM »
https://www.porta-bote.com have one on my pond...tough as nails, drafts very little water, stable enough to stand in and fish, super light, maneuverable

Catchin' Fish

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2018, 12:03 PM »
I have had both 17 square stern and the sport boat . Loved both of them . I raised the sport boat rear seat about and 1 1/2 inches . Much more comfortable that way. Put the oar locks on the inside instead of outside to keep the water from spraying in the boat . Had a set of portage wheels and 6 hp Johnson . Great system.
Oops! is too late.

Online Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Matzilla:  I have a 12' Port-a-bot to haul on the outside of the airplane, it is all you say, the only problem is it would be a little too wide to get up some of the creeks/flowage that come out of some of these lakes.

EZ turn:Which particualar model of sport boat are you guys using, I must be missing it when looking on the Grumman website?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2018, 09:52 PM »
Had a grumman 16 foot square stern and a Radisson square stern sports pal.. still have the mercury 2.5 motor for those boats on my colemen  double end canoe..  I got now but bought a motor mount for them double ends.. any who.. been looking strongly at geenee canoes.. they can be used for flats fishing to port ageing from one lake to another in the nwt of Canada .. but will see that colmen is a nice boat.. with the canoe kayak dolly and motor mount front and back and the crab pot float stabilizers I made for it..  nice and light made of plastic but remember plastic don't last for ever.. any how no mater what you get or have you will be happy.. I think canoes are better then kayaks my self..

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2018, 06:21 AM »
Matzilla:  I have a 12' Port-a-bot to haul on the outside of the airplane, it is all you say, the only problem is it would be a little too wide to get up some of the creeks/flowage that come out of some of these lakes.

EZ turn:Which particualar model of sport boat are you guys using, I must be missing it when looking on the Grumman website?
[/quote
Grumman sport boat ( canoe) I believe they are made by Marathon now. About 15 ft long with a wide stern . I believe it weighed about 100lbs. Sold about 10 yrs ago canoe was in great shape I wasn't.
Oops! is too late.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.