Author Topic: nils master ice augers  (Read 1295 times)

Offline coho

• IceShanty Rookie
nils master ice augers
« on: Oct 12, 2018, 05:47 PM »
Can anyone give me advise on the new Nils 6" cordless drill auger. I planned on getting the 6" nils hand auger and the converter attachment when I modelm saw this one. It would save me a little money, but I was told that the cutting heads are different on the cordless model which makes me wonder why they changed from a cutter blade that worked fine. Thanks, any feedback would be appreciated.  Model # UR600 = hand model and #UR600C+ cordless model.
" When the fish are really hitting it's all skill, when they're not it's just bad luck. "

Offline YtownThrowDown

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: nils master ice augers
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2018, 06:04 PM »
Check out the Trekker model. It has the hand attachment as well as the drill adapter. And consists of a 14" and 28" sections that can be used as a shorter auger. I use the 14" section only for early ice.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2018, 06:21 PM »
Check out the Trekker model. It has the hand attachment as well as the drill adapter. And consists of a 14" and 28" sections that can be used as a shorter auger. I use the 14" section only for early ice.
  I second this.  If I had to do it again, I would definitely buy the Trekker.  The drill version of the auger has a slightly less aggresive cutting head on it.  I bought the regular Nils and the Kovac Ice Master adapter, and it's a pretty tall setup, and I'm 6' tall.  The Trekker is the best because you can adjust the height based on how you like it and/or how thick the ice is.

Offline coho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2018, 06:32 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, I will check it out. Two boys from Ohio can't be wrong.
" When the fish are really hitting it's all skill, when they're not it's just bad luck. "

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2018, 07:19 PM »
Thats what im running is the 6" trekker with a drill, very happy going on my 3rd season.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2018, 12:13 AM »
If you can get the 6in convertible I would go for it. Treckers might have some manufacturing issues that haven't come to light yet. I have been using a 6in convertible for 3 years and the 8in for 2 and both are great
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2018, 04:13 PM »
Can anyone give me advise on the new Nils 6" cordless drill auger. I planned on getting the 6" nils hand auger and the converter attachment when I modelm saw this one. It would save me a little money, but I was told that the cutting heads are different on the cordless model which makes me wonder why they changed from a cutter blade that worked fine. Thanks, any feedback would be appreciated.  Model # UR600 = hand model and #UR600C+ cordless model.
Before I purchased an 8 inch Nils last season, I was also wondering about the two, slightly different cutting heads. I was given the following response by Sharp Nils, a man authorized by Nils to sharpen their blades.
"The black (Slick) blades have just a hair less bite to them but really not enough to notice.  Otherwise they are the same blade as the red blades.  The Slick blade was paired with the Convertible auger because they took less torque to drill.   Since doing so, drills have come a long way with lithium ion batteries, brushless, and in. lbs. of torque increased."
I have the black cutting head and bought the red one as a spare (couldn't find a black one). However, I doubt that I will be able to notice any difference between the black and red one if I need to use the red one. By the way, the 8 inch cut great last year through hundreds of holes and I never noticed any loss in the sharpness of the blades. No binding whatsoever while drilling or on breakthrough. Thickest ice I drilled through was around 28 inches.

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Before I purchased an 8 inch Nils last season, I was also wondering about the two, slightly different cutting heads. I was given the following response by Sharp Nils, a man authorized by Nils to sharpen their blades.
"The black (Slick) blades have just a hair less bite to them but really not enough to notice.  Otherwise they are the same blade as the red blades.  The Slick blade was paired with the Convertible auger because they took less torque to drill.   Since doing so, drills have come a long way with lithium ion batteries, brushless, and in. lbs. of torque increased."
I have the black cutting head and bought the red one as a spare (couldn't find a black one). However, I doubt that I will be able to notice any difference between the black and red one if I need to use the red one. By the way, the 8 inch cut great last year through hundreds of holes and I never noticed any loss in the sharpness of the blades. No binding whatsoever while drilling or on breakthrough. Thickest ice I drilled through was around 28 inches.
I just got my new 8" convertible Nils to run with my Milwaukee fuel,  I also but the red blade for a spare for the same reason lol ......... I can't wait to try it out this season 😁
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2018, 08:32 AM »
I just got my new 8" convertible Nils to run with my Milwaukee fuel,  I also but the red blade for a spare for the same reason lol ......... I can't wait to try it out this season 😁
I was very impressed as to how the Nils cut through the ice. I don't think you will be disappointed!

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.