Author Topic: Backing line  (Read 728 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Backing line
« on: Oct 12, 2018, 01:33 PM »
I am going to be setting my rods up with a 8ft fluro leader to a SPRO power swivel, 3lb for pannies and 6lb for eyes.  What are people doing for backing line on the reel?

Also, would 2lb be a better option for pannies if using #4 tung jigs?
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Backing line
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2018, 01:50 PM »
Long ago I bought a 11,000 yard spool of cheap 4lb bass pro mono.  I use it for backing on reels all year.  Any old cheap line will work.  Probably wouldn't want to use something extremely heavy though.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2018, 01:51 PM »
I use old tip up line for backing on all my reels, softwater or hard. And then finish with flouro.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2018, 02:19 PM »
i back mine with super cheap mono as well

Catchin' Fish

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Are we talking like 8# mono?
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2018, 02:41 PM »
yep....i use whatever i have laying around, lately its been a 660 yard spool of suffix mono i got for something like $3 in a bargain bin

Catchin' Fish

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2018, 03:59 PM »
As far as line size for 4mm tungstens, 2 would work.  I've found that stepping up to 3 lb helps with break-offs on sharp ice around the hole.

That said, I think Trilene 2 lb is stronger or at least more abrasion resistant than 3 lb Sufix.  Those are the two with which I've mainly experimented.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2018, 08:08 PM »
I don't know that I would clarify any line behind the swivel as backing line. Also I think the type of line might depend on how deep you are fishing. For the guys saying tip up line. Are you dropping black Dacron tip up line and just adding a clear leader at the swivel? If I'm trying to save a few bucks when setting up a few reels I will put 30 yards of any 6-8lb mono then 20 yards of 6-8lb braid and a floro leader. This allows me one spool of braid to rig a few reels. But this is only if the lakes I intend to fish are less than 35ft deep, so the backing never sees the light of day unless it's pulling drag. If I am fishing deep water 40-100+ ft deep I put an entire spool of ice braid on and add a leader. If you don't like braid in the winter replace the word braid every time I said it for Good flouro. Clam frost by sunline is a great main line.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09:28 PM »
backing just helps fill the spool, then your mainline goes on the reel followed by a leader if desired. That way you don't have to put 100 yards of expensive 1-3lb "ice" line on to fill the spool.

Catchin' Fish

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09:35 PM »
That's how I understood it, i was just confused with the questions and answers a bit. The o.p. References his leader, never references his main line and asks about backing line like he may have been referring to his main line after the leader. And the answers were for filling the spool with generic backing.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09:49 PM »
If I'm trying to save a few bucks when setting up a few reels I will put 30 yards of any 6-8lb mono then 20 yards of 6-8lb braid and a floro leader. This allows me one spool of braid to rig a few reels. But this is only if the lakes I intend to fish are less than 35ft deep, so the backing never sees the light of day unless it's pulling drag. If I am fishing deep water 40-100+ ft deep I put an entire spool of ice braid on and add a leader. If you don't like braid in the winter replace the word braid every time I said it for Good flouro. Clam frost by sunline is a great main line.
I would also add, having some mono as backing is sometimes needed when spooling with braid, as braid has a tendency to slip on the bare spool. I use a improved Albright knot to connect the mono to braid, and again to attach a fluoro leader, or use a swivel. Personally I prefer to use long length of fluoro, like 20 ft, to keep the braid farther away from the lure/bait in clear water. Also, when I’m fishing shallow it’s only fluoro in the water. If I need a swivel, I’ll tie it to the end of the fluoro and add more leader from there.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2018, 11:00 PM »
Right on, whether it is floro or braid I like the idea of zero stretch from my lure to my reel. As for keeping my braid from spinning on the reel I tie a noose knot pull it tight and wrap a skinny strip of electrical tape around a couple of times and have never had any trouble.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2018, 05:53 AM »
The OP asked what people are doing for 'backing line'.  I'd consider the line preceding the swivel 'main line'.  To me, backing line is just what you'd initially use to fill the bulk of the spool before adding the main line.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2018, 06:37 AM »
Backing line on tip-ups only. Straight 3# mono/fluoro on pannie reels and no swivel or split shot.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.