Author Topic: Best Chair for ice fishing  (Read 20458 times)

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Chair for ice fishing
« on: Oct 03, 2018, 09:23 AM »
After an accident this spring I will be in the market for a very comfortable chair to sit in for ice fishing (fractured vertebrae). Anyone use a chair that they could literally sit in all day and not feel the need to move around?

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Chair for ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Sorry about your injury. Some guys sit on a bucket or a folding camp stool. If you don't use a flipover, you're sure going to need some other place to park your butt. Some guys can just stand there all day. I've used a folding Coleman Breeze deck chair for about five years with good results. Light , foldable, and with good back support unlike what the bucket dwellers get. On a windy day, I'll place my power auger over the bottom rung to avoid those embarrassing pursuits.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2018, 09:58 AM »
I had a couple of Eskimo 3 legged folding chairs the last couple of years and give them a big thumbs down, very uncomfortable. I will be watching this thread.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Bought 2 of these chairs and they are pretty good but they are also heavy.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-swivel-hunting-chair-black?a=993827
<===Lefty===

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2018, 10:14 AM »
It seems the more comfortable the chair, the less 'fishable' it is....In otherwords, I dont like to be sitting too low, so I can get in and out easier.  I like to be leaning up to my hole, so I can watch rod tip and sonar, etc....This is why I continue to plop my posterior on a bucket...I actually have a bucket in a bucket to give it a little more height......but I'll be watching this thread as well for that perfect chair....there has to be one our there somewhere.   

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2018, 10:17 AM »
harbor freight directors chair made of aluminum and has side table. use their 20% off coupon. i tape on rod holders onto the arm rests. my favorite chair and i have plenty of them.
should be at 25$

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2018, 10:54 AM »
harbor freight directors chair made of aluminum and has side table. use their 20% off coupon. i tape on rod holders onto the arm rests. my favorite chair and i have plenty of them.
should be at 25$

This style of chair is the best for sure. I have several similar brands, and can sit in any one of them all day long. The side table is handy, fishing or drinks. I like your handle Schlitz....... reminds me of parties in the good old days.  :thumbsup:

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2018, 11:05 AM »

Offline Bubba340

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2018, 11:06 AM »
This is a good thread.  I have lost fish from being in a chair that I sat too far back in ,  could not get on my feet fast enough and caused slack in line.  Now I am searching for a chair I can "pop" out of in a hurry.  But also light enough to drag around,  checking out the harbor freight ones tonight...

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2018, 11:06 AM »
I usually post this every year when this subject is brought up so I will spare the long write up, but the main thing is this... what is comfortable for one person is not for another. I use a pro photographers stool and it's amazing. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/478361-REG/Walkstool_WA22_Comfort_55_X_Large_Folding.html?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0dHdBRDEARIsAHjZYYBQL6oqcuvRcrXxOv5cnV7VWeqA-oa45WJ_tdRuApinbv2bTqJ8V7YaAq_6EALw_wcB&smp=y
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2018, 11:13 AM »
should be at 25$
That's not a bad little chair. Side table would be handy for a lure box or a bag of Corn Nuts. Other side has pocket for a bev and one for the latest People magazine for those quiet times in the bite.

PS-- 3300 that is one laughably low, low price. Like it or not there is a place for Chinese made shoddy Western goods. I'm gonna buy one.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2018, 11:23 AM »
Normally the smart@$$ in me would say, "Butt on a bucket (make it a 6 gal. if you would please), back to the wind", but I ain't gettin' any younger. Liked an old school aluminum folding lawn chair with armrests but really not wide enough to accommodate bulky ice bibs well or very durable.

Been looking at blind chairs. Really, really sturdy and comfortable though most are made of steel. Kinda like leftys only more comfortable (adjustable legs and seat height, armrests). Plus is I could use it for hunting too.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2018, 11:35 AM »
I agree with others that have said you need to find what's comfortable for you.  Go to a local shop and try a few out, and see what works.  I use a small green foldable fishing chair my grandfather gave me about 20 years ago...from the old Gart Bros. here in Denver.  Still works.  Has a backrest, which would be good for someone with back problems.  Comfortable for me, and folds up with one hand.  Light, too. 

Similar to this:
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 03, 2018, 12:51 PM »
 In the interest of simplicity I tried a 3-legged stool some years ago. Picture about 6" of crusty snow on top of the ice. At one point I twisted around to pick up my ice skimmer, lost my balance and went over backwards, waving arms and legs, into that hard snow. Already limited by a heavy parka and bibs, I  was like a turtle on his back. I simply could not extricate myself from that snow bowl I'd created, couldn't roll onto my side and then onto my knees. Finally had to use my legs to kick and push myself up and out that bowl so I could roll over and get vertical again. There were a couple of guys fishing about fifty yards away who got to witness some cheap theater. The 3-legged stool found a new home at Goodwill.
                                                               Stinky

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2018, 12:57 PM »
another vote for a directors chair. they have a little foldable table with cup holder and mine has a storage bag on the side for gear.sit all day in it..

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 03, 2018, 12:59 PM »
I have a few of the tall Cabelas director chairs, sound like about the same thing that Harbor Freight has only more expensive (may be the same chair?)  Have tried several other types of chairs, but these are comfortable and the most easy to get up from.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Oct 03, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Another thing is I like to be able to drop down on my knees out of the chair quickly for big fish at the hole.

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2018, 06:09 PM »
I agree about the director chair but if your back is like mine I still need a break every now and then. Sorry about your back it really stinks having those problems. I have my chair set to go in my shappell rover instead of the board it comes with.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 03, 2018, 07:29 PM »
What about a comfy boat seat on a duck boat seat spider??? I will see if I can find a pick quick. I would say a e-sea rider bean bag chair but those are hard to get out of once in them..  since it was a spinal injury are you pulling a sled?? If not try the colemens directors chair made of steel..  no folding chair is meant to sleep in my lower disk slips sitting in my directors chair makes it slip out .. same with bean bag chairs when I lean back so keep that in mind thats why sitting forward on a seat spider on the very edge of it.. looking down a hole is best for me..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 03, 2018, 08:38 PM »
Stadium Style Directors chair. Best chair I've found. Easy to get up out of vs most chairs.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 03, 2018, 10:00 PM »
I spent $50 on a Coleman directors chair and love it for comfort and extended sitability. I have it at my work table where I tie rigs and spool reels and so on. I don't take it icefishing as it doesn't fold down very small and it doesn't match up with the type of fishing I generally do. But if I fished in a pop up
 I would absolutely use it on the ice.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 03, 2018, 10:01 PM »
I had what I thought was a decent chair.  I still have it, but it's a bit light.  If you're not careful, the wind will take it 150 yards downrange in a matter of seconds if you're not sitting on it.  I've been there.

Get a comfortable chair, but there are other things to consider as well.

Good luck!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 03, 2018, 11:03 PM »
I got the Coleman version.  It's comfortable enough for me to fall asleep at times in it and the table is a bonus for fishing.

https://www.coleman.com/aluminum-deck-chair/2000020293.html
Don

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 03, 2018, 11:29 PM »
I got the Coleman version.  It's comfortable enough for me to fall asleep at times in it and the table is a bonus for fishing.

https://www.coleman.com/aluminum-deck-chair/2000020293.html

I have this chair and it's great.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2018, 03:13 AM »
I have this chair and it's great.

They are great chairs!!  me my self have a hard time sleeping in that chair leaning back my disk slips out.. so. just a heads up to be carefull about laying back to much in that chair .. also you sit forward more and can sit on the edge better then with other types of chairs like during sight fishing.. like the quad folding chairs  I can't sleep in either. Disk slips out in those too. when leaning back to much.. and you can't sit on edge while sight fishing like a directors chair..

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #25 on: Oct 04, 2018, 05:43 AM »
I've tried a lot of different ones but the best for me...standing up. The 'ol back ain't what she used to be. But I am thinking about mounting my recliner on a Smitty Sled. ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 04, 2018, 05:50 AM »
The Millennium G100 pulls double duty as my hunting blind chair and my ice chair.  Yep, it's expensive, but very comfy, fully adjustable legs, and being an all aluminum frame, weighs only 7 lbs.  The tri-pod leg assembly detaches and is stowed in a pouch under the seat for transport and has a sling for carrying over the shoulder if needed.  Read the reviews.  It's a very well made, very nice chair.

https://www.amazon.com/Millennium-Treestands-G-100-Blind-Chair/dp/B00HEQOTV4/ref=pd_ybh_a_22?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J3RG4K39274DH0VEGE03

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 04, 2018, 09:49 AM »
For me, the style that I can sit in for hours is the simple 'V' style seat with backrest that folds up. I have 2 frabill ones but others out there. The 'V' does not seem to put my legs asleep like the others. Plus they are light as heck and fold up small. Best $20 I've spent on ice fishing in quite awhile.

Offline Big_Al

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 04, 2018, 12:05 PM »
I just bought the Millenium G100 based on the link above. Was considering it for months and is currently list $35 cheaper on amazon then anywhere else I have seen. It'll be pulling triple duty between hunting, ice fishing, and kids sporting events.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 04, 2018, 01:06 PM »
I just bought the Millenium G100 based on the link above. Was considering it for months and is currently list $35 cheaper on amazon then anywhere else I have seen. It'll be pulling triple duty between hunting, ice fishing, and kids sporting events.

Cool, just know that the shooting arm and Primos trigger stick mono-pod DO NOT come with the chair as pictured.  The shooting arm is like another $45 and the Primos Short Trigger Stick is $60ish when I bought them.  It makes for a VERY EXPENSIVE shooting chair.  I purchased the whole kit & caboodle for the Ravin x-bow I bought a couple of months ago.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.