Author Topic: Anyone Convert a Pop-Up Camper??  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Stuckie

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone Convert a Pop-Up Camper??
« on: Sep 23, 2018, 02:47 PM »
I have an opportunity to get my hands on an older Viking popup camper with a furnace, stove in an 8' box.
I would take off the tent ends but am torn on how to do the conversion... do I build it fixed in the up in the fixed position or make it with fold in sides and ends so the camper top can be lowered while towing.
Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
I searched and didn't find much and online, just a bunch of pictures.
Thanks.

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone Convert a Pop-Up Camper??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2018, 02:42 PM »
Build it with the roof in the fixed up position. Anything you make folding is going to be a nightmare to try and seal up all the joints to prevent drafts.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2018, 03:00 PM »
I was considering doing the same thing two years ago. I factored in all the weight and went with a flip over so I can use it longer in the season. Price of materials are expensive which made buying a flip over that much more appealing.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2018, 06:26 PM »
Had a buddy that bought a bombed out 16' travel trailer and modded it. Cut out the back to make a door/ramp for his ATV. He'd trailer to the access, open the door, back out the ATV, hitch the TT to the ATV and head for the lake. Slick dual duty hardside.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2018, 02:21 PM »
I had one years ago. 2x2 wall studs with roof in full up position. The three burner stove and cabinet under it were kept. I replaced the rv furnace with a propane pencil heater and built bunks out of 2" iron pipe and canvas. They went out of the way against the wall when not being used. It had four holes with 10" PVC pipes between the floor and the ice. It worked great for my son and I for years.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2018, 03:05 PM »
I would leave the bunks in it. ( at least 1). It would give you some extra room, and in the up position it would be a bear to tow on the road. Would not be to bad on the ice. Fish all day. Sleep all night. Drop it down. Go on home. Don't take long.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2018, 08:18 PM »
Might be more than your willing to do. This worked out extremely well, still great today. Posted a couple years ago.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=317509.msg3341685#msg3341685

Offline IceShockey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2018, 08:39 PM »
Yes. Working on it right now

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2018, 10:17 PM »
I have converted a pop up camper to permanent hard side. It has a fixed angled roof, 2x4 framed, heavily insulated, inner paneling, outer steel siding. Pot belly wood stove, bench that folds up into a full size bed and three ten inch pvc holes. It can be lifted by hand from the tongue on the ground to the ball on my truck and is pulled through 10+ inches of snow across the lake with a 6 cylinder Ford Explorer. It is the ultimate fishing rig for a day of comfortable hole hoping. A typical day consists of finding my shack three miles out on lake winnebago, and hooking up. I transfer my auger and tackle and thermos etc into my shack. I pull up to a desired spot to try and bore my holes and get my wood stove rolling. There is zero draft it can be warmed through with a buddy heater but it is hard to beat that dry all encompassing heat of hardwood. If nothing is there or biting I simply pull my slide, jump in my truck and move a hundred yards or a half mile. I have the stove built to lock shut without fail and I am able to keep my fire rolling as I move at a safe speed around the lake. It is incredibly efficient and just a pleasure to fish in. I have spent days in my shack that the wind chills were 30 below zero and enjoyed 80 degree temps in my shack. My shack is stored on my property and will second as an overnight deer camp this fall. After a long day in the bow stand heading into the shack to cook supper on the cast iron stove and watch a DVD thanks to my little inverter generator is pretty special!

Offline DonnyDbar1969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2018, 01:04 AM »
I'm building one now. almost done.

Offline DonnyDbar1969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2018, 04:31 AM »
well I decided to reside my ice shack with vinyl which is much lighter. The inside is finished. I will post some pictures. its like a condo. I figure the kids will be happy when we are out there and so will my wife so it's a win win

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2018, 06:31 AM »
Looks very nice!

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2018, 10:29 PM »
Great Job I could definitely live in your condo ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor