Author Topic: Underwater camera  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Lcabait

• IceShanty Rookie
Underwater camera
« on: Mar 21, 2018, 08:53 AM »
I’m looking to buy an underwater camera,any opinions on brands and what’s good

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Underwater camera
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2018, 10:13 AM »
I like the Aqua-Vu and I bought the Micro Revolution 5.0 Pro model with internal DVR for recording. It has worked as promised and exceeded expectations.

The advantages are that it is small, light, and has a cable reel on the back that makes deploying and stowing it fast and simple. If you keep brightness on 2 the internal battery will last over 8 hours while recording. The Charger/Computer cable connects via magnet so there is no socket for water to enter.

The only downside for me is that the camera cable is only 65 feet long and this limits me in some of the deeper lake trout water I fish in. I wish it were 125 feet instead.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2018, 02:30 PM »
We have 2 Marcum units. The top line cameras with the panner accessory included. VS825SD is the model with 60’ camera cable. Cant say enough about the image quality and operation. Have had them running on a 12 hour day without a burp. They are a heavy unit but not sure how the weight compares as these are the only ones we have used. I would recommend them.
Makes jigging in the shanty so much more fun and interesting.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2018, 03:55 PM »
I picked up an inexpensive ($163 CDN) Eyoyo camera this year and have about 80 hours use so far and am really happy with it, especially considering the price. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B019DWTB82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had some issues the first day I first tried it (nothing but a blue "no signal" screen - I think it was too cold after being in the courier vehicle at -25C), but after it warmed up it worked great.

The screen is clear with good color and contrast, unless you try viewing it from an angle, then the contrast and brightness are lost. It's been used mostly in our shack and the one time I tried it outside in bright sunlight it was impossible to see anything - I did not have the sun shade attached but don't think it would help much.

Battery life is good, seems to be anywhere from 8-12 hours, sometimes still have some battery left when we leave. The screen has a power switch but the camera is just a connector in the wiring, and if you forget to unplug the camera when you shut the screen off, the camera will continue to drain the battery.

The camera has infrared LED lights which work ok in clear water.

I'd buy another one before spending more on a name brand unit.

The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2018, 05:24 PM »
I like the Aqua-Vu and I bought the Micro Revolution 5.0 Pro model with internal DVR for recording. It has worked as promised and exceeded expectations.

The advantages are that it is small, light, and has a cable reel on the back that makes deploying and stowing it fast and simple. If you keep brightness on 2 the internal battery will last over 8 hours while recording. The Charger/Computer cable connects via magnet so there is no socket for water to enter.

The only downside for me is that the camera cable is only 65 feet long and this limits me in some of the deeper lake trout water I fish in. I wish it were 125 feet instead.

Glad to see the positive feedback; I just ordered one and haven't seen much positive or negative on them yet. I would have gone with the Recon 5+ if it weren't for the funky video interlacing issues, but after seeing the revolution reel, that's one slick system!

Offline Lcabait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback,now I gotta make some decisions over the next few days.glad to hear more if anyone has any input. Does anyone have the double vision by vexilar I’ve been looking at that option to.

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Marcum pan cam is what I just picked up. $300 on Amazon

Hooks wireless right to your smart phone or iPad.
Has the panning option built in, can take still photos or videos.
Light weigh and covers the hole so it doesn’t freeze up.
Life is good!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:13 AM »

Scheels has it for $200; maybe you can do a credit card price protection claim: https://www.scheels.com/p/marcum-pancam-underwater-viewing-camera-system/85722400250.html

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2018, 10:17 AM »

How do you like it? I was considering getting this one as well. Any complaints?

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:03 AM »
How do you like it? I was considering getting this one as well. Any complaints?
Zero complaints! Functions flawlessly and has good clarity and in color too! Love the built in panning option. Only has 60’ of cable,but I fish in less than 50’ of water. Cable wraps right around the case and comes with a soft bag and charger and also has a video out port to hook to flatscreen.
Life is good!

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2018, 07:49 AM »
Do you guys use these in open water at all?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.