Author Topic: winnipesaukee ice safe under snow ?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline alank

• IceShanty Rookie
winnipesaukee ice safe under snow ?
« on: Mar 17, 2018, 08:07 PM »
would like to get over to winni to try for white perch , anyone on out there around north side moultenboro etc. ? thanks

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: winnipesaukee ice safe under snow ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2018, 10:43 AM »
I had fished the Moultonborough Bay area the week before this past one, and there was still over a foot to a foot and a half of ice then.

Sure, some will have melted (it is that time of year) but with the temps and snow cover it will be some time before the ice gets rotted out.
Of course that also doesn't mean that the ice will be safe EVERYWHERE, just that that area had good ice over a week ago.

There has been some kind of "refreeze" going on, but it will only add a little length to the season and not really add any ice.

As always....BE SAFE AND CHECK AS YOU GO!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2018, 04:53 PM »
Moltongorough bay is one of the northernmost bays and generally has better ice then most of the rest of the lake.

I haven’t been to the big lake in a month or so. I would be suspect if the ice if I were going there this weekend. Even once you get on I would be concerned about holes from water draining a few weeks ago.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Generally I would agree, but since there hasn't been a lot of anglers out over the past week or so (at least I didn't see many when I was there a week ago) and the temps have been cold enough for holes to have frozen over, old holes may not be too much of an issue.

Of course I'd still be cautious because you never really know what you will find!

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.