Author Topic: 8" K-Drill / Ridgid Gen 5X Drill / 4.0 AH Battery  (Read 1205 times)

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
8" K-Drill / Ridgid Gen 5X Drill / 4.0 AH Battery
« on: Mar 14, 2018, 02:41 PM »
I thought I would post this for anyone looking for information on this particular combination as before purchasing I could not find any information on this.

The Ridgid Drill that I am talking about is the one with the 700 in-lbs. of torque.  I had purchased this drill last summer planning use it to run a K-Drill for ice fishing.  At the time of purchase I did not realize that it didn't meet K-Drill's specifications.

This combination does not meet K-Drill specifications (minimum of 725 in-lbs.)  It also does not work in the real world.  Drill would turn the 8" K-Drill and start cutting a hole but get bogged down and cut-out.  I could eventually get through the ice with it (about 15") but it would cut out multiple times on the way through.  Not only was this annoying but I don't imagine it was very good for the drill.

I ended up buying the Milwaukee with 1200 in-lbs. of torque.  This combination shreds through the ice and is super light. 

I do not know if the Ridgid would have the torque to run the 6" K-Drill but it definitely was not sufficient for the 8".

Hopefully I just saved one of you some money or frustration.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: 8" K-Drill / Ridgid Gen 5X Drill / 4.0 AH Battery
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2018, 03:25 PM »
I have a refurbished Dewalt 995/4 ah batteries atop a Clam plate on a 8 in Kdrill...Dewalt uses UWO as their torque specs so not certain how many in/lbs that works out to be ..I believe its not the 725 in/lbs recommended by Kdrill ..its working fine thus far ...should it fail I will be going the Milwaukee route. Note the average ice I am drilling through is 6-15 inches. 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2018, 08:07 PM »
My Ridgid pushes my 7" Nero Mini which is 7 3/8" actually. With no problem at all. I am sure it will turn the 6: K-drill fine. 8" would be pushing it for sure. I have gone through 16" with ease. Did you by chance put downward pressure on the 8" with the Ridgid?  And it may be because of the cutting blades on the K-drill that is didn't like.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2018, 10:07 PM »
you could use the original components on the ice kicker two, geared 2:1 ratio plate. 75$

with out a plate you could get hurt with your new setup
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=359176.0

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.