The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Super suspended  (Read 1229 times)

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Super suspended
« on: Feb 04, 2018, 08:53 AM »
Fished from 3 till around 7 on a small lake where we get super size gills and fat slab crappies. Well I drilled holes and looked around didn't see much but marks like 4 feet under the ice. I was in 13 feet water so thought they were not fish. So I finally jogged up to one and was a 10" gill. Then crappies and even a bullhead. Anyone know why the fish so close to the ice? O2 level???

Offline beavercountybob

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Super suspended
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:03 AM »
I fish a private lake that has huge humps that I think are tailing piles from being mined.  The depth goes from 4-7' to 22-25' within ten  or twenty feet in spots.    If I fish the drop-off in twenty feet of water  I always mark and catch fish super suspended fish that are venturing off the side of that shallow water . Maybe your situation is similar. A big drop off.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Crappie notoriously suspend high in deep water..... It isn't always BS when someone says they we're catching specs in 40fow 1' under the ice.... Crappie are an odd species
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Rtrucking40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:50 AM »
I fish a private lake that has huge humps that I think are tailing piles from being mined.  The depth goes from 4-7' to 22-25' within ten  or twenty feet in spots.    If I fish the drop-off in twenty feet of water  I always mark and catch fish super suspended fish that are venturing off the side of that shallow water . Maybe your situation is similar. A big drop off.
exactly what he said when im fishing steep drops near shallows fish will come come off the shallows and just stay high in the water column. Though crappies are well known to suspend under the ice

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Crappie notoriously suspend high in deep water..... It isn't always BS when someone says they we're catching specs in 40fow 1' under the ice.... Crappie are an odd species

Been there, fish that close aren't as easy as one might think... 8ft of mono has some stretch and shock absorbing, one foot, not so much. Easy to rip that paper mouth...

<°)))>{

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Not deep it's all like 13 14 feet water. And usually at evening time the flasher goes really green with the micro food chain. And it is tough to fish that shallow. With a flasher that is

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2018, 05:34 AM »
That is crazy.  I have marked very few high fish suspended in the water column.  I usally see them suspended early morning and at sunset. But this year they have been hugging the bottom.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:18 AM »
I would say that is were the food is, or there is a drop off near by and they move back and forth to feed.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:23 PM »
I would say that is were the food is...

I've had some fun fishing really popular spots, late season, in the rain.. Certain holes will have water running to them, thus carrying bits of old bait and such.. I noticed, and started fishing those open holes.. The big bull gills were right under the ice, protecting their supply, eating, and waiting for more... Talk about fun!  :tipup:

<°)))>{

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:10 AM »
Sometimes you get a lot of water run off that gets under the ice and creates a thermocline. Fish will gravitate to it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.