Author Topic: Indiana DNR  (Read 3593 times)

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
Indiana DNR
« on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Seriously we don't believe in the research to warrant restriction limits...........

http://michianaoutdoorsnews.com/columns/1882-an-argument-for-an-indiana-bluegill-limit

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Indiana DNR
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:07 PM »
This Price guy even admits “i don’t think we want to have 10 fish limits” what an idiot, if that’s what makes the lake better do it for a few years, like I said not impressed with INDNR......

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:16 PM »
We live in a great state and the guys and girls at the indnr do a good job with what they have. Funding and public influence are more to blame on these decisions.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:19 PM »
We live in a great state and the guys and girls at the indnr do a good job with what they have. Funding and public influence are more to blame on these decisions.

Ditto, things were better before the suit salesman from Decatur Indiana was running the show back when we had the large increase in licenses. We still haven't recovered from the problems he created. 

Offline Indyicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:10 PM »
But they did institute the limit in your home freezer correct, heard that on here, sounds like a good idea and easily implemented!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:33 PM »
Seriously we don't believe in the research to warrant restriction limits...........

http://michianaoutdoorsnews.com/columns/1882-an-argument-for-an-indiana-bluegill-limit

Not sure I got that from the article. But there seems to be a hesitancy for whatever reason. I just can't see where it would hurt. And I can find tons of research to show otherwise. Absolutely tons of it in other states. And even our own state. I seem to remember a biologist I worked for saying Sylvan Lake was an example where bluegills can be fished down. That was before it was renovated. Probably in a local newspaper interview back in 1977?

Sounds like we need to keep pushing for a 25 fish limit and it may happen.  This is Indiana folks. Things change slowly.

Louie wrote a good article.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:38 PM »
Ditto, things were better before the suit salesman from Decatur Indiana was running the show back when we had the large increase in licenses. We still haven't recovered from the problems he created.

Who was that?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:39 PM »
What could it hurt to take 10 lakes and put big time restrictions on them and see what happens, sorry but it doesnt cost much to run a shock boat to take surveys.  I got so fed up with Indiana’s poor lakes I moved to a private one.  Go to any public lake in Minnesota and you will catch fish.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:55 PM »
I hope more people get " discouraged " about the fishing here.
Leaves more for me.

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:58 AM »
The suit salesman from Decatur?  It sounds like you may be misinformed. 

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2018, 09:04 AM »

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2018, 09:07 AM »
The suit salesman from Decatur?  It sounds like you may be misinformed.

Not misinformation. .. I loved the history. Actually grew up knowing him. He decided we needed a big increase in fees ( 20% if i remember correctly) because we hadn't had an increase... people panicked and bought life times... the following year the state had a lack of cash flow and decided to do away with the life time .

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Not misinformation. .. I loved the history. Actually grew up knowing him. He decided we needed a big increase in fees ( 20% if i remember correctly) because we hadn't had an increase... people panicked and bought life times... the following year the state had a lack of cash flow and decided to do away with the life time .

I do think the rate increase was needed. I would pay more even now for better services and better pay for INDNR employees. I can't verify this but have heard INDNR wages are some of the lowest in the U.S. I was told when I was a biologist aid that biologists in Michigan got 10 grand more a year than INDNR biologists. But keep in mind that was way back in 1977.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:54 AM »
I agree tax1, I don't dispute the need for increases now or then. My point was the drastic increase caused panic and disapproval which lead to a lot of life times sold which ultimately led to no life times. There were some other things under his guidance that did not help Hoosier outdoorsman as well which I can only assume led to his resignation. He was a good business man for many years with his clothing store but I never understood why he was appointed in the first place. Takes more than good business smarts to run our resources. Either way I can see where we need to impose some restrictions on some lakes if not across the state as a whole. I believed in the 1 buck rule from its birth and I am seeing the benefits as of now. However I'm not so sure I believe in the everyone gets a trophy doe laws we have. I know in my area we have seen the effects and its not allowing for quality deer hunting. I live in a bearded community and they seem to have no balance in anything let alone nature, Seems their philosophy is : take down as many trees as you see, keep those dogs and horses pregnant and every other reproducing creature they have control over. If they are allowed 8 deer by law everyone in there family has 8 tags and one way or another they fill them tags. And while I don't agree with it or seeing 100 gills in a picture on this web site there nothing I can do about it. I know several guys who will go out on the ice and kill it like that and then give most the fish away, not cleaned fish. Whole fish... what the heck is the point? I can see catching enough for "Mr. Wilson" next door who cant get out anymore and you should clean them for him too... but there is no reason in the world to pile'em up like that.  I know you spoke of going to the meetings but that didn't stop the rifle law or the extra doe tags FB insurance has been pushing for over 20 yrs. I think that our Department should take more notice to other states that are doing well. I'm no biologist so I really only know what I like to see when I'm in the field. I'm not qualified to put us on the path to get to that.

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:02 PM »
I stand corrected.  Mr. Macklin's role on The Adams county economic development board was an absolute disaster, as well, so i would question any policy he assisted. 

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:23 PM »
I stand corrected.  Mr. Macklin's role on The Adams county economic development board was an absolute disaster, as well, so i would question any policy he assisted.

True, sad thing is that was even after he fouled up and resigned from the state position.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:25 PM »
[quote[ I believed in the 1 buck rule from its bir/quote]  I just read an article about how this is being blamed for the spread of cwd.  It said infected bucks with small racks are less likely to be killed, allowing them to spread the disease.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:40 PM »
Great discussion obviously Indiana lacks financial resources to make major changes, but what’s the DNRs policy on private citizens raising money to improve their favorite lake??? Does the Indiana DNR allow habitat placement in public waters, what about private stocking of fish???

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:41 PM »
[quote[ I believed in the 1 buck rule from its bir/quote]  I just read an article about how this is being blamed for the spread of cwd.  It said infected bucks with small racks are less likely to be killed, allowing them to spread the disease.
.       That’s BS !!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:57 PM »
and if you have a place on a lake and with a couple of neighbors call it an association....
and then you can acquire the proper permits for weed kills.....
I believe that started in the Macklin era also....

that's the worst of his legacy!!
often help to be paid for thru the lake enhancement fund we all pay for...
what part of that makes sense!! (lake Webster 2016)
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:05 PM »
.       That’s BS !!
Actually it is. I was wrong, it was a.p.r. that they were blaming for the spread.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:10 PM »
Really though. .. how much does it cost to change a limit law??????

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:38 PM »
The Lake Webster weed kill was done by private homeowners and the DNR allowed this???? I heard that was a total disaster, didn’t they use like Sonar which is nuclear fallout for a lake??? If DNR allowed this it’s ridiculous.

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Holy crap the DNR did approve the Webster weed kill, it cost $125,000; don’t those dummies know you could have installed some lake aeration for that cost and made a huge impact, so stupid.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Holy crap the DNR did approve the Webster weed kill, it cost $125,000; don’t those dummies know you could have installed some lake aeration for that cost and made a huge impact, so stupid.
Wouldn't using aeration also change the structure or contour of the lake? I don't think that would be a good idea in my opinion.

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:59 PM »
Go to lakesavers.com he does large lake aeration projects, we didn’t use him but we put in an Aeration system in one of our 30 acre lakes, in short time it’s made a huge difference (we were having algae issues) cause they killed all the weeds and put in grass carp, real smart.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2018, 02:44 PM »
Indiana should jump the fishing license fee by 10.00 per year per resident and 20.00 per year per non resident.  Even at 37.00 a year it is a still a bargain.  Use the money to put in a limit and add enforcement of the existing laws on the books.  Enforcement in IN lacks way behind other states.  Rarely if ever see a CO in IN, where in Michigan we see them nearly 3 to 4 times a month on various BOW.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2018, 02:56 PM »
http://www.in.gov/activecalendar_dnr/EventList.aspx?view=EventDetails&eventidn=9513&information_id=20273&type=&syndicate=syndicate
source.

ummm DNR approved,,,AND paid for...

just to clarify..
(Jed Pearson fought the earlier sonar use but was overruled....just saying)
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2018, 03:08 PM »
Indiana should jump the fishing license fee by 10.00 per year per resident and 20.00 per year per non resident.  Even at 37.00 a year it is a still a bargain.  Use the money to put in a limit and add enforcement of the existing laws on the books.  Enforcement in IN lacks way behind other states.  Rarely if ever see a CO in IN, where in Michigan we see them nearly 3 to 4 times a month on various BOW.

Ya but you still have low income homes that love the sport and may have teens in a home that fish . For a family a four or five that's alot of money to buy just in fishing license

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2018, 03:09 PM »
I personally think that our out-of-state licenses need to be raised instead of Resident license being raised if you look into what it cost to go kill a deer in Illinois or Michigan and then look at what it cost for an Illinois resident or a Michigan resident to come kill a deer in our state it's insane the difference in the price break that an out-of-state resident gets to come to our state to kill a deer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.