The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Smiles for Miles!  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
Smiles for Miles!
« on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:28 AM »
So I have 3 kids (that I am aware of) and the two oldest love to hunt and fish with me. The youngest, Cody, is well intentioned until it comes time to get out of bed in the morning. The kid LOVES his screen time, his Kindle is his favorite device followed by the PS3 and PS4 and a laptop to play Roadblocks - he is 7 now and a real genius with the electronics. I am hoping he will be a good supplement to my 401K, ya know, maybe he's the next Steve Jobs or something.

The night before outing #1 (sorry, no pics it was effing cold and the only time the mits came off was to take a fish off the hook or rebait) I put the troops to bed early however I overlooked one important detail - NO SCREENS IN BED! I have the older ones trained to used their phone as an alarm to wake themselves up and they have the discipline to set the screen aside and goto sleep. 0530 rolls around and my oldest son comes down to report that Cody is still in bed and says he is not getting up, he is too tired. I ask Carl what happened, why is Cody still in bed? "Dad he stayed up til like 10pm on his Kindle"....ah crap I should have known better!

I go upstairs and he is crabbed out wicked, I decide I better let him sleep because bringing a kid in his state would be ill advised if you wanted to have a good day fishing.
Carl and I head out and fish for the day. I get a report from my wife that Cody finally got up and was crying because he didn't go with us - I am thinking "ok good, he is not totally ruined and still has a fishing bone in his body".

Outing #2 - step one is outsmart Cody and make sure to put him to bed early with no screens. Carl and I spend the day refilling our wood crib, it holds 3 cord of wood so between a couple breaks we spend most of the day shuttling wood from the drying tent to the wood crib then load the truck for fishing the next day.  It's Saturday night so pizza, a movie and get ready for bed by 8pm. My wife is hustling the kids off to bed and cleaning up the kitchen, Cody comes to her and asks to take his Kindle to bed - I overhear this and say NO WAY! - he starts to have a meltdown. My wife checks the Kindle and says "look, the battery is nearly dead so let him take it to bed, it'll die and he'll goto sleep." I wave my arms in disgust and say "whatever, he better be ready to go in the morning".

0530 rolls around and Carl and Autumn report for duty, Cody is still in bed. My wife has gotten up to see us off and realizes Cody is still in bed. Carl reports that the Kindle was on well into the night (the boys share a room). My wife goes upstairs to retrieve Cody and comes back down carrying him. He is a puddle, cranky, clearly not with it. I look at my wife and say "I thought the battery was nearly dead and he was headed for sleep early".........'well, um yeah, apparently he smuggled a charging cord to bed with him so he was plugged in and the battery was never an issue..."   "CUTE" I say, well we are outta here see you all later. (I honestly think my wife helped him smuggle the cord because she wanted to keep him home with her - she is afraid to go on the ice and doesn't want her baby out there until he is bigger......just my theory!)

Sunday was a great day on the ice with my two oldest kids and my father in law and my good friend Jeff. Some perch were jigged up but when the flags started flying the jig rods were put away and the boot rubber started burning. I lost track of the total numbers but it was a good mixed bag of bass, pike and one small catfish.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Smiles for Miles!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:29 AM »

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:12 PM »
I love seeing and hearing young people out on the ice having fun fishing -- nice job!

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:17 PM »
My son is a young man now and a college graduate. he still needs his screen time and any fishing trips we go on together never leave the house as early as i like to go. May have to find the last light bite instead of the first light bite.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:25 PM »
Awesome, Lavman!  Love the pics .... love the hats!  Go Pats!

Also, Perchbait can get addicted to his screens sometimes, but he is old enough to know that they have to stay out of his room if he's planning on getting up early the next morning.  Of course, he's not addicted to ANYTHING as much as he is to fishing, so the screens tend to lose that battle! ;)

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Thanks guys, these are great times and I hope everyone is having a great season.

My little Code-man is a hot chit when you get him out there, I just need to do a little better job staying one step ahead of him!

Here are a couple pics last year:

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:17 PM »
Awesome!  And as Crayfish said, love the hats!!!!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:46 PM »
great report from lav and crew.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2018, 04:18 AM »
Nothing better than time on the ice with your children ! Thanks for the post.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2018, 04:20 AM »
great times right there !

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:48 PM »
Lashweekend I took my two boys up north so I could take my niece and nephew and bro-in-law out for their first ever ice outing. The wind was brutal Saturday, we made it from 7am to noon and packed it in. Despite the wind my niece really got into it and iced three nice fish, she's hooked and can't wait to go again!

My two boys sliding around on the ice while we waited for the rest of the family to show up

4 cousins playing

Little Bass, huge smile! Here first ever fish through the ice

Pike!

And another

Looking forward to the next outing and hopefully a lot less wind...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.