Author Topic: Snaps / swivels on jigs  (Read 3370 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Snaps / swivels on jigs
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:31 AM »
Im mostly a direct tie kinda person but sometimes use snaps to allow faster jig exchanges mainly on pks and swedish pimples kastmaster etc. Anyone have a preference.? My spros are too much work. Was thinking a duolock snap? What  do you prefer?
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snaps / swivels on jigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:50 AM »
 I like duo lock snaps..no swivel... I use an in line bead chain swivel 2' up the line.. I also like the small fly fishing snaps but my old broken fingers don't like dealing with those small spring snaps.. they allow good movement of the jig and add nothing to the over all profile..they are just real hard to hold between stiff arthritic fingers...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:37 PM »
Good topic - I like to avoid as much extra hardware whenever possible, however if don't use a swivel and you tie Swedish Pimps or various other jigs directly onto your line you can expect some pretty good line twist to occur.

To avoid some line twist I will tie a very small black barrel swivel onto the line (then attach about 2 feet of mono to the other loop of the barrel swivel then tie the jig or Swedish Pimp etc onto the end of the short line - I get some line twist but it's not too bad.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:04 PM »
I started out using the smallest (and typically the flimsiest) swivels I could find, and went to tying direct to line to get the jig to stay horizontal when dropped down.

A good solid knot (whichever you feel is most snug on the eye of the jig) and good strong line (depends on what species you are targeting) are a must!

I have ice braid on a could of bait style/in-line reels with a barrel swivel and mono tied direct to the jig.

Use whatever you like and feel comfortable and good luck!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:23 PM »
Duo snaps are nice I use them in open water, but I haven’t used them in a while for ice fishing so I’m not adding anymore to the presentation and don’t mind tying knots...I’m sure it may or may not make a difference, but in my mind less is better. I’m using three if not 4 jig rods set up 2 medium action 2 med/light action and will change them up to see what works best..I’ll change out lures occasionally when the action is slowest
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Good topic - I like to avoid as much extra hardware whenever possible, however if don't use a swivel and you tie Swedish Pimps or various other jigs directly onto your line you can expect some pretty good line twist to occur.

To avoid some line twist I will tie a very small black barrel swivel onto the line (then attach about 2 feet of mono to the other loop of the barrel swivel then tie the jig or Swedish Pimp etc onto the end of the short line - I get some line twist but it's not too bad.

I do the same

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:30 PM »
I use ball bearing snap swivels,they are rugged and easy to change lures.

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:45 PM »
For lakers/burbot I like the tiny (35lb?) Spro barrel swivel about 2-3' up the line and sometimes use a small duo-lock swivel depending on what size lures I'm using.

When using braid, I use a triple surgeons to add ~10' of flouro above the swivel and then a couple feet of leader.

For panfish, I just tie the ice mono direct to jig/lure.

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:04 PM »
I generally use a size 14 barrel swivel with a 3-4’ of leader on my light jigging rigs. I recently got a couple of new noodle rods, and rigged them up with straight 2lb test. My mind isn’t made up yet, but I have noticed my jigs do a lot of spinning when I reel them up out of 30 feet of water. I don’t notice that sort of spinning as much on my rigs with a swivel.

I don’t use a snap, unless the jig or spoon comes with one, like a slender spoon.

Offline DERBIS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:37 AM »
I use the smallest (00 or something) BB swivel i can find, but I still feel like they have a huge profile against the tiny jigs. In my mind it makes a huge difference on how I think the lure presents.

I'm going to pick up some of those tiny fly-fishing snaps and make a judgement on how much line twist I get vs the size difference of a swivel snap. Might be worth is if I'm diligent about relieving the twist.

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:28 AM »
I agree with Ffallon. The Spros are great. P-line makes awesome ones too. They're super small and tough as anything  and help with line twists quite a bit. I tie to main line with a 2 or 3 ft flouro leader

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:40 AM »
that's why I use the bead chain 2' above the lure... bead chains multiple swivel points make sure  there are no twists...

Offline DERBIS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:13 PM »
that's why I use the bead chain 2' above the lure... bead chains multiple swivel points make sure  there are no twists...

Does it fit through the guides on your jigging rod?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:18 PM »
I tie direct to my jigs, I start out with about 15-18' of leader and whittle it down every time i change a jig. I replace the leader about twice a season. I always use a Palomar Knot.

Do the same in open water troller as well.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:50 PM »
Does it fit through the guides on your jigging rod?
yes it does... I like big guides for that reason also cuts down on ice build ups if I'm outside my portable.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Joe,

I haven't used these before - they look interesting - any brand preference? For ice fishing I am thinking the smallest size available would suffice.

Thanks

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:57 PM »
I don’t love dragging the barrel swivel through my guides but do same. Tie up backing to a barrel swivel then a few feet of leader to it, then tie leader direct to lure. No issues with line twist, or very little of it.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:02 PM »
When using spoons or other "high twisting" baits I try to use the barrel swivel and set the leader length (at least to start) just shorter then the length of my rod so that the swivel doesn't have to go through the guides. I upgraded everything to quality swivels a few years back when I lost a decent fish due to a failed swivel (separated at the barrel)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:04 PM »
I mostly tie direct but its nice for a fast change over. Thanks for the tips, as far as Bead chain style swivels AJ has some or found online. Pline http://p-line.com/tackle/swivels/hi-speed-rolling-trebel
size 14 is rated for 8.8 lbs I use them they are very good at preventing line twist
Salmonemia

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:29 PM »
When using spoons or other "high twisting" baits I try to use the barrel swivel and set the leader length (at least to start) just shorter then the length of my rod so that the swivel doesn't have to go through the guides. I upgraded everything to quality swivels a few years back when I lost a decent fish due to a failed swivel (separated at the barrel)
I’m with you on that, watched a pal lose a very likely placing fish in tournament on sebago due to barrel swivel failure at the hole. Sampo’s only for me now.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:14 AM »
I don’t love dragging the barrel swivel through my guides but do same. Tie up backing to a barrel swivel then a few feet of leader to it, then tie leader direct to lure. No issues with line twist, or very little of it.
I don't either ...I'd never do it on my open water rods...my ice rods are nothing special ..no ceramic to damage or chip...

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Exactly

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Joe,

I haven't used these before - they look interesting - any brand preference? For ice fishing I am thinking the smallest size available would suffice.

Thanks
,,, always a brand name ... I think the last bunch I bought were sampo... I learned the value of these many years ago trolling trout dodgers and night crawlers for salmon... in the interest of full disclosures I have had them break( I've broken plenty of barrel swivels as well)... so I routinely check them.. if they feel sloppy I replace them.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2018, 02:10 AM »

Thanks - I will give them a try...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.