Author Topic: confused what is the difference between the ION x and regular ION?  (Read 888 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Reeds has them on sale thinking of pulling the trigger on the regular one. Any thoughts will it work when its cold?

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
The regular unit is fine and I never had to use my backup battery. Be sure you keep the battery insulated for prolonged periods in the cold.  When I first bought the unit, I would take the battery inside the hut but later found it not to be necessary unless there was a blizzard.  Also it’s not smart to lay your unit batter-down on the ice or snow.

The battery on the X has more amps and can drill more holes.  But you’ll have no problem with the regular unless you plan on drilling 100 holes a day.  I never run my battery past 1/2 charge.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Reeds has them on sale thinking of pulling the trigger on the regular one. Any thoughts will it work when its cold?

I though you had a good drill set up Mrpike......what's with looking at the ion?

Before the drill setups got popular, My uncle got an Ion for in his wheel house. It works fine. It's a pretty simple shaver style auger. If you have a good drill putting a 8in mora flat blade would be the same has an Ion.

The difference I found between the Ion and drill setup....$150 for a 3ah ion battery.....a drill setup $99 for a 9ah battery.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
The X  has a better battery and more torque, if I remember right... l bought the X last year and it is the dope...   :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
I really like my 6 inch K Drill but I have started to fish tip ups for big pike I lost a lot so far because I cant get them started up the hole. I heard the ION will not work when it's cold as mountain maggot said. I thought they had the batteries fixed now? Also my wrist is worst than they thought I think handles is what I need. Ironically I bought a 7 inch mora and put it on my Milwaukee my wife said it was lousy and then the bolt snapped off and it sank today gonna try tomorrow with the magnet again. Such good luck this weekend.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
For the price the Eskimo f-1 rocket auger looks good

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
I heard the ION will not work when it's cold as mountain maggot said.

LOL.....I never pull the battery off when not in use & I leave the auger sitting out on the ice while I'm fishing.....No issues here.....Maybe it just doesn't get cold enough here in Montana !!   ;)2

I thought they had the batteries fixed now?

Would like to know what the ION battery issue was that needed fixed ?!?!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
I really like my 6 inch K Drill but I have started to fish tip ups for big pike I lost a lot so far because I cant get them started up the hole. I heard the ION will not work when it's cold as mountain maggot said. I thought they had the batteries fixed now? Also my wrist is worst than they thought I think handles is what I need. Ironically I bought a 7 inch mora and put it on my Milwaukee my wife said it was lousy and then the bolt snapped off and it sank today gonna try tomorrow with the magnet again. Such good luck this weekend.
i

Man sorry to hear about your luck. Hope you can get it with a magnet. Supprised the bolt broke....I've never had that happen......

Can't remember what your setup was.....not sure what drill you have.....or if you have a clam plate?

The Ion isn't really much different then a good drill setup.....on a clam plate.....It's electric. If you let the battery get cold it can stall out. No different then most batteries. I'm not sure if the X battery is like the Milwaukee batteries where it takes the cold a lot better.

Mr Pike....if I'm reading your post right.....what you are looking for is a very smooth cutting auger that doesn't do the yank when it breaks through the bottom of the ice, to help with your wrist. It sounds like your looking for a larger hole that will allow you to fish pike.

Here are the things I would suggest.

1st if you have the Milwaukee 725in/lb or 1200in/lb drill......get the clam plate......I've come close to breaking my wrist with both those drills. Neither is anything to play around with, they can hurt you. Both can turn 8in augers no problem. The handles from the clam plate help a lot for control and also allow you to set the auger on the ice without the drill or battery touching the ice. IMO the clam plate turns a drill setup into an auger.

2nd the auger is the next part. The "mora" style cuts easiest for a drill, but can catch a bit, the lazer cuts fast but yanks at break through. If you want something that ciputs smooth without the yank at break through.....your looking for a nils. I almost forgot just how much a Mora or laser yank at break through because I'd been using my 8in nils...until I used my 5in lazer and 10in mora.

So......I guess my rec is get a clam plate with an 8in nils.

Hope you find what your looking for,....Not sure where you are at, but I'd let you use my Milwaukee 1200/clam plate/8in nils to try it out if you were close.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
To answer the battery Question, looking at reviews a lot of unhappy people when the battery gets cold wont hold charge? it would sit out a lot. I have the Milwaukee fuel drill no clam plate had on and it wrecked the trigger switch twice on the fuel drill I was out of commission last year for a while. Thinking of getting the Eskimo rocket 8 inch, I want the 6 inch for run and gun and the 8 for tip ups and big lakes. Mille lacs, LOW. I wouldn't mind the regular ION but if the new 5x came out how long will they service and have batteries for that older model? Don't like the gas idea alot but for the money a gas one will run alot longer. Hey thanks for the replies I just don't have luck with augers.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
To answer the battery Question, looking at reviews a lot of unhappy people when the battery gets cold wont hold charge? it would sit out a lot. I have the Milwaukee fuel drill no clam plate had on and it wrecked the trigger switch twice on the fuel drill I was out of commission last year for a while. Thinking of getting the Eskimo rocket 8 inch, I want the 6 inch for run and gun and the 8 for tip ups and big lakes. Mille lacs, LOW. I wouldn't mind the regular ION but if the new 5x came out how long will they service and have batteries for that older model? Don't like the gas idea alot but for the money a gas one will run alot longer. Hey thanks for the replies I just don't have luck with augers.

How did the clam plate wreck the trigger switch? I've got a gen 2 plate.......can't see where or how it mess up the trigger.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have the Milwaukee fuel drill no clam plate had on and it wrecked the trigger switch twice on the fuel drill

Not even sure what you are trying to say there?

What is "it"?

<°)))>{

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
The way the Clam plate is set up it does not depress the trigger on the drill straight on it's off to the side. I called clam about this and they said they had some issues with it. but this was 2 years ago maybe it changed?

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Agronomist. Will the Nils connect right to the clam plate or do I need an adapter?

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was going to buy the clam plate and 8 inch nils no luck. Everyone is sold out except this big country sports and they just don't seem ok

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!

Hits perfect on mine

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
The way the Clam plate is set up it does not depress the trigger on the drill straight on it's off to the side. I called clam about this and they said they had some issues with it. but this was 2 years ago maybe it changed?

Really? It took a bit for me to get my drill positioned on it correctly. However once I did it's been a perfect fit. That's one of the reasons I got the Milwaukee....it's the drill the plate was designed around.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Agronomist. Will the Nils connect right to the clam plate or do I need an adapter?

The above adaptor is the one I bought a few years ago. I know someone is selling them on eBay now for $32 shipped. They were hard to come by for a bit....so if you plan on doing it, I'd make sure to get an adaptor.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The x can drill more holes than the first and the redesigned the bottom by the blades.have been out at 5 degrees with no problem with batteries .but the new ring at the bottom freezing up like a son of a gun.bad design holds bunch of ice.first one didn't

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
Bummer...just gave my son the regular model and have an X in shipment.  Oh well...hopefully the positives out way the negatives.  I do like the fact that the X has a light and center spike.

MM

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi all well I got some great advice here. Going with the K drill 8 and Clam plate you guys talked me into it got the K Drill/Clam converter coming. As Agronomist said there is to many possibilities plus I can use it with my 6 inch. I went with the K Drill because I like them and I can get blades quick. I like the Nils but we have had so many open winters there is dirt on the ice always and when I had my Nils it it needed sharpening a lot with the bad ice.
Thank you all and I will report back how I like it.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
.      Never had a problem with mine !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.