Author Topic: Regulations  (Read 1645 times)

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
Regulations
« on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Minnesota has a 20 fish limit on bluegills and Michigan has a 25 combined sunfish limit, but Indiana’s lakes are so plentiful that there is NO LIMIT, Indiana still stuck in the fish management strategy of bluegills overproducing and need to be kept, unreal.

Offline Operator435543

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Regulations
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:02 PM »
There should be a limit. Even with guys pitching small ones caught hours before back under the ice when big one is caught. (True fishermen and women shouldn’t and wouldnt do that) It would definitely help the population of bigger gills in the long run.   Side note.  Watched a guy counting his fish today and he loudly said “78 gills today.” so everyone in the whole county could hear.

Offline TheIceMan5

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:06 PM »
Minnesota has a 20 fish limit on bluegills and Michigan has a 25 combined sunfish limit, but Indiana’s lakes are so plentiful that there is NO LIMIT, Indiana still stuck in the fish management strategy of bluegills overproducing and need to be kept, unreal.

I’ve gone fishing for 2 weeks every year in Minnesota since I was born, and my father started going when he was a little boy. And nothing compares to the fishing up north. Although I think other thing besides lake management goes Into play. I do think it goes a long way. Along with people willing to play the game.

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:33 PM »
Yes me too we have a cabin up there, but even the lakes up there have needed the DNRs help, ie many lakes have become catch and release only bass lakes and I have personally seen the drastic improvements in the fishing. Also many lakes have become 5 fish limit for crappies due to overharvest.  Indiana’s DNR is not very good.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:41 AM »
I would like to see a limit on bluegill too. We need to show up in greater numbers at the meetings when the next round of rules change proposals comes up. Apparently there wasn't enough during the last one although I thought it had plenty of support.

Missed my local one as I was't aware it happened until it was over. For some reason didn't get a notice in my email. Must have been when my computer was down.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:37 AM »
Why do people need to show up??? It’s the DNRs job to ensure that fish populations stay properly balanced, they should just make rules as needed. People aren’t going to like the changes, but so what.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:43 AM »
Why do people need to show up??? It’s the DNRs job to ensure that fish populations stay properly balanced, they should just make rules as needed. People aren’t going to like the changes, but so what.

There needs to be some public input or you can have some untenable situations. People get angry and contact their representatives, jobs can be on the line etc. I personally am glad we get some input.

But certainly you can't please everyone and that's part of the challenge of being a public entity. Even as a business I've had to deal with some real stinkers although most people are great.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:29 AM »
activists are the ones that show up at meetings.  the main input im betting is from the internet these days.  maybe the majority of all input isnt in favor of it?

example:
i know the catfish regulations didnt just change all by themselves.  there was a huge long battle to get regs changed to protect our rivers from the commercial rapists.  at first the DNR was on the commercial guys side. even tho entire sections of rivers were being wiped out by these idiots! the commercial guys showed up in numbers but the regs got changed anyhow.  a lot of that was due to online petitions and emails to DNR. id go even farther with the catfish regs too.  the only use for a 40+# catfish is a paypond/pit.  they are too toxic to be sold as food.  i dont feel paypits should be making money off the public's fish.  their stockers should be raised somewhere not pulled from public waters.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:43 PM »
Activists are usually misinformed; example the anti-Muskie folks.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Activists are usually misinformed; example the anti-Muskie folks.
As an avid muskie hunter, I'm curious to hear more of your take on this.

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:29 PM »
My take/ people that think muskies “eat all the bass and sunfish” are completely misinformed.  Muskies are THE stocking strategy to put fish populations back to normal. My best bass lakes up North also support 30lb Muskies.  Problem is DNR stocked at too high of rate in some lakes, ie Webster, I think they were stocking like 5/acre and in Wisconsin they were stocking 2+\acre.....

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:33 PM »
Bassmasters best bass lake in the world last year was Mille Lacs, also home to some monster Muskies.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Big muskies make great fertilizer for your flower beds and young trees.  A couple 40+"ers go a long way.  :clap: :thumbsup: :woot: :callcops: :afro:

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:03 PM »
Oh geez, another muskie debate, this wont end well

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Big muskies make great fertilizer for your flower beds and young trees.  A couple 40+"ers go a long way.  :clap: :thumbsup: :woot: :callcops: :afro:

14" green carp work better for that, plus you can eat a few when you're real hungry!

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:22 PM »
14" green carp work better for that, plus you can eat a few when you're real hungry!
I heard icespicegirl's private pond is loaded with both. Don't think I'm invited though.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:26 PM »
That’s right spermanotor keep out!!!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:31 PM »
That’s right spermanotor keep out!!!
Come on Dylan. Play nice
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin