Author Topic: Yet another drill question!  (Read 1833 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yet another drill question!
« on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:48 PM »
I normally use a 6" Mora/Normark Swedebore manual auger. I have a DeWalt 18v drill DC759. I cannot find the torque rating on-line. The batt, as far as I can tell, id 1.2 A-H. I don't intend to buy a new drill as I do a limited amount of handiwork at home. M question---is it worth buying a Clam plate for this drill/auger combo? I used it a little bit about 3 yrs ago w/o a Clam plate and saw the danger of wrist injury, so I don't plan to use it again w/o a C. plate.

Comments pls. 
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Yet another drill question!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:57 PM »
Don’t think dewalt rates them, I like my clam plate!

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:22 PM »
I don't think you have enough battery power.
4 amp hour battery and up is a must. IMO

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:29 AM »
I don't think that's a brushless drill and the battery is too small.  You won't get many holes and will probably burn it out if you push it.
You can buy a clam plate and IMHO you will want it when you give in and get a better drill.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:43 AM »
just buy the ice kicker 2 on ebay and maybe bigger batteries and your all set. you'll be able to turn much larger bits with it. it's a geared system and is 2:1 ratio.

drills don't burn out unless some thing is wrong with it like worn brushes. the battery has protection circuits in it to prevent this.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:58 AM »
I don't think that's a brushless drill and the battery is too small.  You won't get many holes and will probably burn it out if you push it.
You can buy a clam plate and IMHO you will want it when you give in and get a better drill.

Thx---you are prob right about that but I find it hard to justify buying a fancy drill just for ice fishing.

Thx, y'all for you comments

Offline Craveman85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:29 PM »
You could probably buy some spare batteries cheap. I took my Chuck off and welded up an adapter that threads right on my black and Decker 20v drill. Drilled 5 or 6 test holes in 14" with a 1.5ah battery and it wasn't dead yet. I have 2 spare 2ah batteries as well.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:31 PM »
I have a Dewalt dcd995 20V brushless with 4ah batteries. I had a 16" adapter made which threaded onto the spindle after taking the chuck off the drill. The lower end has the same attachment configuration as the handle on a fin bore hand auger so moving the auger from the handle to my adapter was easy. I can now use either my 4 1/2 inch or 6 inch auger by simply turning the thumb screw and changing the auger. Unfortunately most of the newer issue Dewalt drills don't have a removable chuck so something like a clam plate needs to be used if you want one of the newer drills like the DCD 996 with 5 ah batteries. The side handle on the Dewalt drills are great and work well to help overcome the torque.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:41 PM »
... Unfortunately most of the newer issue Dewalt drills don't have a removable chuck so something like a clam plate needs to be used if you want one of the newer drills like the DCD 996 with 5 ah batteries. The side handle on the Dewalt drills are great and work well to help overcome the torque.

You certainly don't need to buy a Clam plate in order to mount a Mora Swede-Bore to a DeWalt DCD996 ... just an adapter like this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/electric-ice-drill-adapter-0788167p.html#srp
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2018, 03:47 PM »
You certainly don't need to buy a Clam plate in order to mount a Mora Swede-Bore to a DeWalt DCD996 ... just an adapter like this:

Gonna need something to keep it from Davey Jones...

<°)))>{

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:27 PM »

I'm concerned about wrist injury if the auger gets stuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:34 PM »

Yes you are right the connection can be made but if the chuck loosens up the auger and adapter is gone down the hole. I have seen adapters that have a ring slightly larger than the auger preventing it from going down the hole but that seems kind of cumbersome. My machined adapter actually reverse screws into the threaded sprocket that the chuck is spun onto so it can't fall off. I like it because the whole drill, adapter and auger is very lite weight and is simple and easy to use. Getting the chuck removed is kind of a pain and the adapter cost about the same as a clam plate but in the end I would rather have my set up.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:40 PM »

Not a problem with the side handle. You have 2 hands on the drill. One operating it and the other holding the side handle. It works out fine and I run the drill on #1 high torque. I can cut close to 100 holes through 16" of ice with one 4ah battery. That is only a guess because I have never run the battery down. When I run perch I generally cut a line of holes in or out then fish them and if I catch some I cut more on the same depth. I do that all day and it always cuts. I don't even bring the second battery.  Cold temp doesn't seem to bother it. Without the rugged side handle there would be an issue though.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:47 PM »

Yes, very possible with the Mora Swede-Bore and the main reason I use my K-Drill for cutting holes now that the ice is over two feet thick. K-Drill is longer and doesn't catch at breakthrough like the Mora, and works fine for re-drilling holes too. Definitely can't re-drill holes with the Mora!
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.