Author Topic: newbie question  (Read 277 times)

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
newbie question
« on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:16 AM »
I was hole hopping and jigging for anything that would bite and trying to mark fish at this point.I would mark a fish and would either just get a look or catch it.Would this mean there are more there outside of my transducer possibly since I would only catch the one and or occasional second one.Does catching one scare off others for awhile?These were descent size bluegill or an occasional perch..Would it be advised to just sit there and see if more come around.I see always guys on this site sitting in one spot catching tons of fish like crappie in one spot and wonder if bluegill will school like crappie.I am marking fish on the bottom only.Will the fish move off bottom at night and setle back to bottom after daybreak?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: newbie question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Well after having a really good day Friday and went back Saturday to not have hardly any bites I decided it was me and not the fish. Line twist is a real problem. Saw just as many fish on both days and think it was line twist causing fish not to bite the second day. Watched a few videos today and found out how to prevent it and also how to get rid of line twist while on the ice. Might check out some videos.  One way on the ice is to hold your fingers on the line while reeling the line up. It takes out line twist.  I will be doing this next trip out. Also they said pulling your line out with the bail closed and dropping line that way helps a lot also. I will be trying these 2 things next time out. My wife and I caught 19 fish Fridays and on Saturday she caught 3 and I got the stinky Skunk.  I know tying a swivel up about 12' or so can help also.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.