The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ion auger blades breaking  (Read 3938 times)

Offline littleperch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • littleperch
Ion auger blades breaking
« on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:19 AM »
One of the blades on my six inch Ion auger broke last season.  I e-mailed their customer service with the problem and received no return from them.  I purchased a new set before this season started and one of them broke already.  The break was at the same place, on the outside mounting screw.  Is this just my luck or is this happening to others? 

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ion auger blades breaking
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:37 AM »
I purchased an ion x this year....put a small chip in the blade but haven’t snapped one yet

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:41 AM »
All blades will loosen up somewhat, I carry a wrench just to check every once in a while, watch it checking them as one wrong slip and your going to the hospital!!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Hey ice scratcher you ever get tired of being an a$$? Just curious becaus I never said that so you posting this really makes you look like a dbag:)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:08 AM »
You really need to keep up dude....

Offline fishon21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2018, 03:16 PM »
Have had an ION for 3 years now. No issues here with the blades, still using the original set. While I haven't fished a lot here in Southwestern Pa due to the lack of ice. I did get a set of replacement blades included when I purchased my ION.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Littleperch, the reason that the ION blades broke is cause you don't drill enough holes, when it's not used they get weak ::) ::) ::), just kidding.  I have had a ION for about 3 going on 4 years.  I have the original blades on them and I know that this ION has drilled approximately 1200 holes on the same blades.  Never had them sharpened either and they still cut well.  It is like anything, I think I just got a good set.  I heard other people that about blades breaking and when you call they send new blades.  Talk to you Tuesday night  Nez ;D

Offline bullscrickbowfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:21 PM »
You guys would be sick if i told you how many blades i went thru. Have drilled a pile of holes but probably went thru quite a few sets in 5 yrs. I could soon buy a new ion. I just had a set break the other day that drilled about 6 holes. Cracked right off like they were brittle. Don't get me wrong i love my ion. But i wish i had better luck with blades and used cars.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:01 PM »
nobody cares......

Offline littleperch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • littleperch
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Hey NEZ,  The reason I don't drill as many holes as you is because I know where to drill the first time!  Didn't have to drill at Sayers today, looked like swiss cheese.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:40 PM »
The one question I would have to ask is what size ION auger bit is breaking.  I have an 8 inch and know several other guys with the 8 inch and no broken blades.  The few people I know have had 6 inch blades that broke. ???Nez

Offline littleperch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • littleperch
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:56 AM »
After a 45 minute wait on customer service with Artisam, Ion warranty, they know that there is a problem with the blades breaking.  They are sending me two new sets of blades.  Renewed my faith in Ion, highly recommend.

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:41 AM »
Did you check the steel plate the blades attach to? Perhaps it is out of whack causing the blade to flex when tightened, thus causing the blade to snap. I just removed my blades to sharpen and noticed mine was slightly off, have had no issues with the blades breaking though.

Offline littleperch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • littleperch
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:22 AM »
Jedhead, The rep that I spoke to told me they put out blades made with a "bad" batch of steel. Her words.  She hoped that the bad products on the market were cycled through.  You have a good point about the mounting site but the hole tolerances would be off, I would think anyhow.  As long as Ion is willing to replace, works for me.

Offline klauricella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:15 PM »
I had the blades break on me after drilling less then 50 holes. Emailed ION and took them over a week to reply but they are sending me new blades. The weird part is the email claims that they have not heard of them breaking. This is the reply I received.

"I have not heard of a problem with the 6 inch ION blades breaking. I have places an order for a replacement set of blades at no charge. Please ensure that you register your product for any future questions or warranty issues "

Kevin

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:24 PM »
New customer service rep?

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:28 PM »
No CS rep is going to admit there is a problem until a recall has been issued... Otherwise you could make it public that they are knowingly selling a defective product... Standard procedure.... Wanna fix all your ion problems.... Get a jiffy from the 70s.... BOOM
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:36 PM »
No CS rep is going to admit there is a problem until a recall has been issued... Otherwise you could make it public that they are knowingly selling a defective product... Standard procedure.... Wanna fix all your ion problems.... Get a jiffy from the 70s.... BOOM

The reason I bought my ION is because I have a Jiffy from the 70's.... LOL

I, thus far, have not had any issues with my 6" ION.

Offline klauricella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:28 PM »

Probably true but now days a google search makes this a bad idea.

Kevin

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:14 AM »
Seems like nothing has changed... my son is on his second set in a month and his buddy also just had his break the following day 4 blades broken within a month on 2 different 8" Ion augers. When they work they work great but **censored** is going on???

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2019, 03:35 PM »
I have had my ion since they came out and im still using the original set. Never sharpened them or anything. And lets just say i drill alot of holes lol.
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.