Author Topic: Fishing a shallow lake with sonar?  (Read 842 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing a shallow lake with sonar?
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:03 PM »
My buddy has access to a condo on Lake Puckaway. I’ve read that there are some nice panfish (my primary interest) and walleye in the lake. However, I’m concerned that I have never attempted to fish a lake that shallow. Really a maximum depth of 6’? I don’t even understand how you fish a lake that shallow with 20” of ice……if you are in 4 FOW with 20” of ice….wouldn’t you really only be fishing in 28” of water. Further, I’ve seen videos of people using sonar on that lake, and I don’t understand how that is effective either?

Would really appreciate an explanation of how to effectively fish a lake that shallow with sonar, or any tips on Puckaway in particular as it looks like I’m making a trip next month.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fishing a shallow lake with sonar?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:15 PM »
You can still tune it to show your jig and any fish that gets close to it.  That shallow you wont be covering a lot of square footage so just shooting down holes looking for fish is probably pointless. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:12 AM »
drop the top on the flipover and sightfish. keep the vex on as another set of eyes.

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:38 PM »
Even at that depth my Showdown will allow me to see if I'm fishing a dry hole or not. No sense in wasting time.  ;):tipup:
ttt

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Put that bad boy in low power mode if you have it and you’ll be good to go.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:05 PM »
Even at that depth my Showdown will allow me to see if I'm fishing a dry hole or not. No sense in wasting time.  ;):tipup:

LoL.  I hope you're drilling your holes real close together. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline higbee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:46 PM »
work it by drilling lots of holes. find depths, channnels, weed edges, drop offs.  track with gps.  i always use a locator jig (jig that is hot most of time) and bring em in to you. In the places i fish, the fish move around and dont always hang out. i have caught panfish at 5' depth of water, at 2' below ice. good luck.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:55 PM »
I've fished backwaters of the Mississippi, where you had 18" of water below the ice, if you were lucky...

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:29 PM »
I have a Marcum LX7 and I found some settings for less than 10 FOW.  Set your cone angle wide.  Check around for settings for your flasher.   In 5 or 6' we usually sight fish, we are in reeds, we could see the jig near the bottom.  The sunfish and gills swim around the bait and nibbled.  But the monster crappies would just charge right in and hit the bait hard, then leave real quick.  It was tough catching the fast hitting crappies in the graph.   

For perch in the shallow water we used bobbers with minnows.  I could see the perch swimming around the bait with sonar but I wasn't actively jigging them.  We also have good sized carp and getting more larger walleyes in this particular lake, those are a riot to see swim by on the screen, a big wide band of red runs across the screen.  Even funner to catch one of them carp!     
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:38 PM »
Low power on a Vexilar

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:43 PM »
Royalwapiti, what settings do you use on your LX7 in shallow water?  I fished in 6FOW and struggled to make my lx7 work right this weekend

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:11 AM »
I may be wrong but isn't puckaway a northern spot

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:10 AM »
Royalwapiti, what settings do you use on your LX7 in shallow water?  I fished in 6FOW and struggled to make my lx7 work right this weekend

Shallow water:
1. Sonar Settings, Sonar mode, Gain 1 Open Water <10 fow  Gain2 Ice >10 fow
2. Have the transducer only partially submerged, not an inch or two below the water.
3. Use manual dynamic - select the 10' or less range
4. Use the 20 degree cone angle
5. Change to a three color palette, not 6 colors

Look at the Marcum video that explains firmware 5.10. 

It can still be a struggle with lots of vegetation.  I have to keep a cheat sheet with the above tucked under my snow deflector for what settings are what.  I forget some of this when out on the ice.

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.