Author Topic: 11 plus inches slough pig.  (Read 4281 times)

Offline crappiecrusher34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 11 plus inches slough pig.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Thanks Greg nice meeting u today.
Chasing a dream on the water.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:21 PM »
Nice fish! As for the other comments, it's interesting to hear the replies, and brings me back to when I used to post pics and hint lake names. You will notice that a large number of the of the old timers on this site has stopped posting fish and lake names. My personal reason for staying off the radar is not because I'm "selfish", it's because I can't control who sees the this post. Taxi said it best early in the season, when talking about trash on ice, and the reason why we didn't see so much early ice... "it's because lazy people don't fish when it's stupid cold". Right in que, it's warm this week, and trash is everywhere, on lakes that get mentioned here on the regular. I remember feeling directly responsible for the trash because of my post. Then you see buckets and buckets coming of of lakes, granted its not illegal, but I personally felt responsible for watching the melee because it wasn't that hard to figure out my local watering holes. I then started to research lakes that almost never get mentioned here, and I was amazed at the quality of fish year after, and lack of trash. Lazy people also log in or lurk to let others put in the work and find the hot bite on a lake. I'm sure many will disagree with me, but it's doesn't feel like a coincidence. In time people will learn the same lessons I learned as well as  many others, and of course some of the fine folks on the forum, that are just trying to learn get the short end of the stick (lack of info)... however most good people in time will find other good people that will be happy to help... just not on a public forum.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:30 PM »
Nice fish! I agree with high tide nothing good comes out of sharing hot bites with the entire world

Offline bottom bouncer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:16 PM »
It was not my intention to start an argument on this forum. But it is no coincidence the IDNR  has imposed a 25 limit on panfish taken from this lake and that is due in large part to the increasing pressure the lake sees year after year. Also as I am a "selfish" old fart that would like to see my grand kids get a chance to catch some of the same quality of fish from this lake that I have been lucky enough to enjoy since my boyhood, I just don't see the sense in advertising a hot bite to all the "trolls" that you gentlemen refer to. So if stating my opinion makes me a troll than so be it.  I can not comment on the billboard as I have personally not seen it. My 1/2 hour drive to the lake doesn't take me past it. Lastly, if my opinion offends someone I am sorry about that. It is my opinion though and last time I looked I was entitled to express it as are you. Enjoy your day friends and may the ice goddess bless us with some more cold weather.
 By the by it is a beautiful fish and will look great on the wall.
Being retired is turning into hard work!

Offline 206 kendall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Would love to get into those big boys

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:52 AM »
That's what we call a boger or a no noser.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:03 AM »
Very nice. Very few bluegills (not redears) make it to 11 inches or more no matter what people tell you.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:22 AM »
WAS AT THE SLOUGH SUNDAY AND I COULDNT BELIEVE WHAT I SAW. SOMEONE LEFT A GILL ON THE PICNIC TABLE THAT HAD A 11 INCH GILL ON IT. THE ONLY THINK I COULD IMAGINE WAS SOMEONE WAS TAKING PICS AND FORGOT TO PICK IT UP WHEN HE LEFT. HAD TO BE THERE FOR A FEW DAYS. WHAT A WASTE....

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:30 PM »
brute :flex:
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:39 PM »
WAS AT THE SLOUGH SUNDAY AND I COULDNT BELIEVE WHAT I SAW. SOMEONE LEFT A GILL ON THE PICNIC TABLE THAT HAD A 11 INCH GILL ON IT. THE ONLY THINK I COULD IMAGINE WAS SOMEONE WAS TAKING PICS AND FORGOT TO PICK IT UP WHEN HE LEFT. HAD TO BE THERE FOR A FEW DAYS. WHAT A WASTE....

Wow that's pretty dumb
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline electricangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:26 PM »
I saw it too.  I don't think it was a gill though....it had teeth.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Very nice fish!

Offline apricot brandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:41 PM »
Now it sounds like a piranha lol. The reason there is a 25 count limit is because it is a state park. All Indiana state parks have a limit of 25. I would be fine with the limit being imposed on all Indiana waters.
bobbers down- flags up

Offline apricot brandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:01 PM »
I think I'm wrong about the 25 limit in all state parks. I was thinking of about 10 years ago when only the state parks had the 12inch size limit on bass while it was 14 inches  everywhere else. Now it's 12 " statewide. My bad.
bobbers down- flags up

Offline apricot brandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:10 PM »
I need some sleep. The state parks had a 14" size limit on bass while the rest of the state was still at 12 " about 10 years ago. It's now 14 ' state wide.
bobbers down- flags up

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:30 PM »
Who keeps bass
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:37 PM »
Some of you say been fishing since the 60s or 70s but this lake is virtually only a decade or so old since it has been drained dredged and restocked. And to the one that said its been goin downhill, just crazy. I used to fish here before they dredged it and it sucked, it took some time after they did it but now there are huge bass in there  and plentiful. Gills never been a prob and now they have northern pike in numbers and size so not sure how its goin downhill, sure there is alot of pressure but then again most productive lakes do and this was long before internet was even invented!
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:40 PM »

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:48 AM »

I never noticed the teeth. piranha in Indiana, I don't think so. I am still sticking with slab slough bull gill.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:04 AM »
You never know what you're going to find it wasn't that long ago somewhere maybe even the slew somebody caught a pacu fish or however it is pronounced

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:31 AM »
nice fish

rivereddy

Offline apricot brandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:46 AM »
The piranha reference was in jest. And as far as keeping bass I agree with you. Although I will confess to keeping them many years ago at the slough using tip ups. After a draining and restocking in the late 70's, the blue gill population took a few years to return. I would put 2 tip ups   out for bass and northern and use one jig pole for blue gill. It would not take long to set up the third tip  up because the gils were non existent. Thankfully, this only lasted 2 or 3 years.
bobbers down- flags up

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:17 PM »
Who keeps bass

I love blackened bass....fried bass....bake/broiled bass..out of the lakes I fish.  Usually nothing over 20" though.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:22 PM »
I also like to eat bass but I only care for them through the ice and in the legal size range I may only keep three or four a year if that I usually don't Target them

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 27, 2018, 03:47 PM »
Who keeps bass?

The same people that keep musky?  :roflmao:

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 27, 2018, 03:50 PM »

That looks like a big female redear to me. Subtle ear tab, larger scales than a bluegill of the same size.

Is it possible the fish was found dead and that is why the angler didn't keep it? Could have been frozen in the ice? I had a large bluegill like this on my pond recently. I think it's one I've been watching that had gone blind due to eye flukes. One of things that does old large fish in. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 27, 2018, 03:57 PM »
Does have big scales for a gill, I would agree, I have hybrids, and scale pattern different also!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 27, 2018, 05:22 PM »
For me I see a highlighted edge to the ear tab which screams either a hybrid or more likely a female redear. As most of you know the females have a more subdued edge to the ear tab than the male which can be bight red.

From the picture posted:

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 27, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Female Redear

Male Redear

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 27, 2018, 05:37 PM »

Teeth showing better because of breakdown of tissue around them?

Redears as most of you are however better equipped to eat mollusks, which include shell crusher teeth at the back of their mouth hence the name Shellcracker in the south.

When I brought bluegill broodfish from Nebraska they had teeth that were a little more prominent than our local bluegills.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.