Author Topic: My Smitty Sleds First day run !  (Read 928 times)

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
My Smitty Sleds First day run !
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Went fishing today.....4-5 fluffy snow on the lake...Smitty Sled loaded for bear...auger,hub shack,heater, 2 full size metal chairs, basket with traps, tackle box,lunch cooler, beer an soda, bait bucket,rug for floor, rope. I usually split this gear up between 2 sleds and my son and I haul it out. But today ...I put the stress test on the new Smitty Sled ...I even waxed up the skis too....This thing pulled like a dream...couldn't believe it !!   2 thumbs up Smitty !!!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: My Smitty Sleds First day run !
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Makes you wonder why you didn't do it a long time ago eh :)

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:17 PM »
Makes you wonder why you didn't do it a long time ago eh :)

Never knew about it .....Nevah seen one around these woods before...been ice fishing for a long time ...and at my age....easier is bettah !

Offline Cortland15b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:26 PM »
I love my smitty sled I built a month back. Went through almost 10 inches of wet snow (it's a warm spell) and was able to move my clam 5600 and all the gear around a small area of the lake. Now I just need to figure out how I can cut some of the weight of the whole setup.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:33 AM »
I need to learn about waxing the skis.  I was fishing in fluffy snow the other day.  I mount my finder on either side of a "porch" (just a plywood board which goes across between the uprights) on the front of my smitty, and then just pull the sled up next to the hole and drop the transducer in.  Trouble is, when its really cold, the slush around the holes gets on the skis and eventually freezes, then the sled pulls like a dead weight (once you break it free from sticking on the ice).

What do you guys use for wax and (not being a skier) how do you apply it???

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:01 AM »
I have a all in one wax ...hand held thing....it's a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes.....one end dispenses The wax through a felt pad....let flash dry ..then the other end has a felt felt wax remover / buffer.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:05 AM »

Here yah go !

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:50 AM »
I need to learn about waxing the skis.  I was fishing in fluffy snow the other day.  I mount my finder on either side of a "porch" (just a plywood board which goes across between the uprights) on the front of my smitty, and then just pull the sled up next to the hole and drop the transducer in.  Trouble is, when its really cold, the slush around the holes gets on the skis and eventually freezes, then the sled pulls like a dead weight (once you break it free from sticking on the ice).

What do you guys use for wax and (not being a skier) how do you apply it???

Go to a store that sells skis and buy some glider wax or universal wax, scraper, and a block of cork.  Then go to walmart or someplace and buy a cheap iron. Don't use your wifes iron like I did the first and only time. Take the scraper and hold a little past 90 degrees, 70 degrees or so and lightly scrape down the ski from front tip to back to remove any foreign material and to smooth it out.  Then holding the wax on the hot iron drip some drops of wax about every 3-4" down the ski.  Take the iron and iron the drips to spread out the wax till the entire ski is covered, add more drips if necessary. Let it cool for a couple of minutes. Then grab the scraper again and lightly scrape the wax starting at the tip and working towards the back, going in one direction only. After about 3 or 4 passes the ski should look pretty smooth.  Then take the cork and going in one direction only, front to back, rub the wax to smooth it further. Done.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:48 AM »
glad you like it have had mine for several years do not leave home base with out it

Offline FishDSc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2018, 03:35 PM »
Put together my Smitty over Christmas and took it out last weekend for a trial run. Worked great!!

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:54 PM »
My buddy and I made our Smitty sleds last year and we took them out for the first time yesterday. There was about 5 inches of snow on the lake going out and they worked great. The real test though was when we left and temperature was rising and the snow was melting. They pulled like a dream and I had mine loaded down.

I have to say that that express wax looks really nice and easy. Back in the day I used to tune my own skis so I have all of the equipment to wax them. In my opinion hot waxing is a lot of work for an ice fishing sled, especially when the express wax is around $20.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Thanks guys......I’m glad everyone is happy with their “Smitty’s”.....tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:12 PM »
Finally got a pic up loaded....

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:48 PM »
Looks good!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum