Author Topic: Slap Shack  (Read 634 times)

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Slap Shack
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:52 PM »
My wife and I live about 3 miles from the lake we fish most often.  A couple of years ago I built an ice shack on a pop-up camper frame that we pull back and forth each time we go fishing.  It generally works well except that is so far off the ice that jigging is tough and it takes some time to set-up because I have to locate where to drill the holes and then pull the shack over the holes.  Since we never leave it on the ice there is nothing to "hold our spot".  About 10 days ago I got the bug to build another shack - one intended to stay out on the lake.  We had to pull it onto the trailer with my Kubota tractor but my bro-in-law and I got it finished and on the ice today.

Having never had a permanent ice that I've left on the ice, I'm a little concerned about it "freezing in".  I blocked it up 3" off the ice.  Also, today we installed horizontal runner boards that, in an emergency, I could remove 12 bolts and pull the shack out of it's runners (and chisel them out).

For those of you with permanent shacks, help me understand how / why they sometimes "freeze in place".  Do they keep sinking during the course of the winter?  Do they sink in due to being heated, warm weather or both?

I call it the "Slap Shack" because I slapped it together in about 3 weekend days and 5 evenings.  Other than the roof, some hardware and trim, the rest of the materials I had around the house.  The base was something I built for a pop-up hub shelter about 3 years ago.  The galvanized metal is left over from the ceiling in our basement bar.  We kept the interior pretty plain and don't plan to leave anything in there of value to deter thieves.

Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Slap Shack
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Sun reflecting off the shack melts the ice and snow around the shack causing it to "sink". Also after every snow storm, the weight of the snow pushes down on the ice. THis causes water to seep up through cracks, holes, etc and flow accross the ice and the snow soaks it up like a sponge. This then freezes adding more ice (white ice) to the ice on the lake. Always a good idea to block up your shanty at least once a week.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:13 PM »
Get some big chunks of wood/ blocks ...8x8 to start with ..on all four corners....then add blocks as needed. Shacks have to be baby sat, once a week....if your not going to do that....then go portable. I have first hand experience....Back in 1991 we had a 10x12 with a wood stove...sleep over type shack....long story short...Drinking too much beer led to some arguments and the house got neglected for 4 weeks.....it was frozen in over 12 inches of ice. My name was on the door...and when April 1st came around ...all bob houses have to be off NH lakes.... not ours ! Fish and game called 60.00 fine and then 1,000 per day for every day on the ice. Fish and game made arrangement with a logging company with a skidder .....we gave him the house ..instead of paying fines...he got it out with a winch ,when it thawed out ....been portable evah since !

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Just keep and eye on it. Keep a small jack and a set of blocks available. Your only a couple miles away so you know what the weather is doing. If you get a heavy snow clean the roof off. If you get a long warm spell and water builds up move the shack away from the standing water. Nice looking shack by the way.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:06 PM »
Nice shack, a couple inside pics would be cool. Must be nice to be so close to the lake.  I've got seventy five miles to go. Building mine light as I don't plan to leave it on the ice. My Subaru isn't rated for a lot of trailer.

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:10 PM »
Metal bender I would  move 75 miles closer. LOL

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:42 PM »
Have a trailer on a rented lot up north, lake is 100 yrds from my door. Summer only though, five hrs one way. I'll have to settle for the situation here. Retired so can go whenever, still working on Chateau Lego though. Hopefully about a week, should be done.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:28 AM »
nice corrugated chrome castle!  ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:31 AM »
Definitely block the shack up or it will freeze into the ice...

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Web had a shack that was 4'x8' we kept on Silver Lake we moved it every 3 days usually had to bar it out but that's when we use to get good ice but just the sun beating on the the out side make it sink
McPerch

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Thanks guys.  Seems like I will babysit it.  12” of snow coming today but no pre-storm bite yet.

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Here are a few interior shots... pretty basic.  I do like my fold away Vex shelves.  Slow but today... may run home and make some 6” wide shelves for the sidewalls for bait, lures, hemostats, beer and other important things. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.