Author Topic: Jiffy ice auger  (Read 475 times)

Offline Hardwater99

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy ice auger
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:21 PM »
I bought a jiffy model 30 last year. Ran great until today. I have no wot. Its like it has no power. I'm going to try a new plug but was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem in the past. Thanks in advance

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jiffy ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:37 PM »
Howdy....  Was new or used?   Only 25 thousanths gap on plug.  When runnin without power ...will rpms increase if you keep thumpin the primer thingy??   Are there red plastic limiters on the two jet screwsof the carb??   O.P.
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:23 PM »
Went cap opened?

Offline flyingknee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:00 PM »
This is year 38 for my Jiffy gas auger. New plug and fresh gas,started on second pull. End of season you MUST run it til it totally runs out of gas. Beginning the next season,put in a new plug,and use new gas. Don't try to save 3 bucks by using old gas. Gas with Stabil treatment may be fine, I don't use it because I use a small can for ice fishing so it's not worth buying the treatment. The above is my simple recipe for long Jiffy ice drill life. Never once been in the shop,only replaced pull rope, plug, and gas line.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:45 AM »
Most likely bad gas and gummed up carb.
<===Lefty===

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:20 AM »
id agree gummed up.  the passages are very small in that carb.  dont take much to gum them up. before you remove and clean the carb, try this.  put it in a vice or something to hold it steady.  remove the air cleaner and get it warmed up real good.  rev is aas fast it will go and pop your hand over the carb opening.  use a clean leather glove if you want to.  when you plug the carb it mite have enough oomff to suck the plugged up gunk threw. its worth a try before digging into it.  this has worked on the lawnboy a few times over the years. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Butkus51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Just had to rebuild the carburetor on my model 30.  There is a diaphragm in the bottom that is basically the fuel pump that comes loose due to ethanol gas.  Runs like it is it did 20 years ago now.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Add two ounces of Seafoam to the gas in your gas tank, shake it up, and let it run.  That will clean the carb and help keep the carb clean.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.